Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
2210again  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:11:56 PM(UTC)
2210again

Groups: Registered

I have a PBI interview with the VA and I am wondering from the list of questions they give which ones I should look at(I am assuming for a 13/14 pos I should focus on the lvl III/IV questions), my thoughts are to focus on the KSAs in the announcement and then be familiar with the other ones. Any input would be great. 
computerscott2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:47:51 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Why not come up with an answer for all of them? (all 92 of them!!!) That way no matter what interview you go into, you will have already thought out an answer and you will be better prepared. If more people would do this they would see their interview confidence increase. I have seen more qualified people blow their job chances up at the interview stage than I would care to count, so prepare, prepare, prepare. And then go hit a homerun.
2210again  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:28:28 AM(UTC)
2210again

Ouch 
computerscott2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:27:06 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

I did not mean that as an insult. I meant it as a way to be more prepared for your interview. I have given several of the PBI style interviews and less than 10% of interviewees come in prepared. They fumble for answers, are really nervous, use nervous laughter, use "umm-ahhs" to kill time, etc and they DO NOT HAVE GOOD ANSWERS for the questions. Kind of like the proverbial "deer in the headlights" look.  If you want to know the secret to acing interviews, part of the secret is to be uber-prepared. Once you have answers to all of those questions and you have practiced them repeatedly, you do not need to fear any interview. The other part of the secret is to get on the other side of the table. If your boss ever asks you to participate on an interview panel, DO NOT TURN IT DOWN. You will gain immense experience being on the "other side of the table". Also you will see how many people come to the interview unprepared and flub up their chances. If you are lucky you will get to see a "major leaguer" hit a home run during the interview. Once you see how a winning interview is supposed to be done, you will get better at interviewing yourself. If your boss has not asked you to participate, ask your boss if you can "sit-in" the next time they interview people. Perhaps they will or perhaps you can get to know another supervisor and ask them to be your mentor.
2210again  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:11:53 AM(UTC)
2210again

I read through the questions, my only problem was I only had one day notice on the interview so I was familiar with them and had rough answers for them on the level III/IV questions with only one that I could not think of a good example, and as my luck would have it that was the first question they asked. So I stumbled through that and the next two and the rest I was ok with, but now that I know I am working on all of the questions to be ready.

Kirth  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:01:41 AM(UTC)
Kirth

In your situation, one day to prepare, then just be yourself and answer the questions to the best of your knowledge. Try to be calm and honest. Do not pretend, but on the other hand try to elaborate in the way demonstrates that you are expert in the area and best fit for the job. I know it requires a lot of skills but that's what you need to achieve to show you are the one they are looking for in front of a panel interviewers.

titan2245  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:04:09 AM(UTC)
titan2245

Quick question, where are you guys getting the questions from?  Is it a book or website?
Nevermind - Found it http://www.va.gov/pbi/Questions.asptitan22452011-03-03 13:28:25
2210again  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:29:58 PM(UTC)
2210again

They asked questions not on that list, a couple were I will post them up in a few weeks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed