Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jim  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 7:09:40 AM(UTC)
Jim1348

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I realize that not all federal jobs have a counterpart at the state level and vice versa, but generally speaking, how do federal jobs compare to state jobs?  Maybe to make it a fair comparison, pick a job that even has the same or very similar job title.  Would say a plumber or electrician in federal service fare better than the same job in state service in your state

I know in my case it is difficult to compare.  I have a law enforcement background, so a police officer or deputy sheriff in Minnesota  in the Metro area will probably make less than an FBI or DEA Agent at similar points in their respective careers.  On the other hand, a Minnesota cop in the Metro area will probably make more than a Veterans Affairs Police at similar points in their career.

I suppose a Registered Nurse is another position that has to be pretty similar in both places.  It would be interesting to jknow if an RN would fair better in federal service or state service.  Again, it will depend quite a bit on which state, but I know that there is such a thing as locality pay, at least in law enforcement service, which should make them pretty similar.  
Jim13482011-03-04 15:19:17
daystar  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 4:39:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I'm just going to make a generalization about this. The federal jobs usually offer higher pay, but the state jobs offer a higher retirement pension.
Robert Rapp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:49:38 AM(UTC)
RJR00

somehow the whole deficit fiasco has been blown into public servants benefits.  And they have done a very good job doing it.  2 years ago public servant jobs was not even an issue.  The democrats got in control, and spent out the wazoo on bailouts, stimulis, tarp, and lied to get elected.  Guantanamoe, transparency (did anyone read the Health Care bill?),  Nancy P - gas will never get above $2 a gallon if democrats are in charge.  Folks, public servants are getting the shaft.  The money spent on GM and Chrysler bailouts alone would have paid for all the states woes.  It is being spun beyond belief.  If a company like GM, Chrysler, or Joes Lumber down the street doesn't make it, they should go out of business.  GM and Chrysler got bailed out at everyone's expense.  But people forget all those dollars.
Nick  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:19:39 AM(UTC)
Beagle

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

For my state.

For Federal LEO and State/local LEO they are paid about the same.  As far as support staff, feds are paid more than State, about $30k more.  As far as local city support staff, feds make about $10k more but the city staff do start at a lot higher salary than feds.
Beagle2011-03-05 17:26:22
Newgrad  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 1:18:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looks like there won't be many new state jobs left when the domino effect continues around the country, so I wouldn't worry about getting a state job. Focus on the federal jobs because they're the ones that are hiring, oh wait.....the feds aren't really either!

Good luck!
I'm here to set the record straight, tell the truth about federal hiring, and to expose things for what they really are. -Newgrad
Tony  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:22:07 PM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I work in law enforcement. Specifically, I am a correctional officer for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Previously I worked for the state of Kansas Department of Corrections as a corrections officer, so essentially I do the exact same job for the feds as I did at the state.

1. Pay. The feds pay much higher than the state of Kansas. Entry level COs in Kansas make $12.98/hr. Entry level pay as a federal CO at GL-5 step 1 was $18.50/hr.

2. Medical Insurance. As a single non-smoker with no kids, I paid $7.58 a pay period for medical insurance with the state. There were only 8-10 plans available. With the feds, there are dozens of plans available, but I pay $48 a pay period, and that is one of the cheapest plans.

3. Retirement. The state has a pension system called KPERS. It's retirement calculation for COs was 1.75% x number of years worked. You could retire with full benefits at age 55. So if I had worked there for 25 years, I would have received 43.75% of my pay as a pension. There was no 401K-like plan. With the feds I have FERS which will give me as an LEO 1.7% per year for the first 20 years, then 1% per year for every year I work after that. So after 25 years I would get a pension of 39%. Keep in mind though that I make substantially more money working with the feds, so my pension will be much larger. Also the feds have the TSP, and they match the first 5%, so I will have a much better retirement overall with the feds. (I have to retire at 57 with the feds, but there is no mandatory age at the state)

With Kansas I contributed 6% of my gross bi-weekly pay. With the feds I contribute closer to 1.3%.

4. Annual/sick leave. In the state of Kansas you earn 3.7 hours per pay period of vacation and 3.7 hours of sick leave. The amount of vacation you earn increases after 5,10, and 15 years of employment.

With the feds I earn 4 hours per pay period of annual leave and 4 of sick leave with increases after 3, and 15 years of service. Overall the feds give more leave.

If you don't get my point so far, the feds pay better, have better benefits, and a better retirement than the state. It isn't even a close comparison.

tommyboy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:43:15 AM(UTC)

I was a teacher for the State of Florida in 1999 making about $36,000 a year.  I started as a GS-9 with the Federal government in Florida and and made about $38,000;  but the next year I was a GS-11 and made $45,000.  The big difference between the Federal government and the state was the pay in the state stayed the same, and in the federal government you get step increases.
Bert  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:30:43 AM(UTC)

I think that pay and benefits very to much from state to state to make a general statement on whether federal or state jobs are better.  You can compare a state job to a federal job in one state to answer this question but if compare same job in another state to the federal job will get a different result.
mallen  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 12:58:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 37 post(s)
RJR00 wrote:
somehow the whole deficit fiasco has been blown into public servants benefits.  And they have done a very good job doing it.  2 years ago public servant jobs was not even an issue.  The democrats got in control, and spent out the wazoo on bailouts, stimulis, tarp, and lied to get elected.  Guantanamoe, transparency (did anyone read the Health Care bill?),  Nancy P - gas will never get above $2 a gallon if democrats are in charge.  Folks, public servants are getting the shaft.  The money spent on GM and Chrysler bailouts alone would have paid for all the states woes.  It is being spun beyond belief.  If a company like GM, Chrysler, or Joes Lumber down the street doesn't make it, they should go out of business.  GM and Chrysler got bailed out at everyone's expense.  But people forget all those dollars.

Yea,that darn Obama spent so much on TARP.... or was it that Shrub guy.... Its so hard to remember,it was so many years ago.... Besides,its not like GM paid it back or anything. I think we should kick all those democrats out that are standing up in the House and demanding that they "shut it down". We should also remember that its those Democrats that are saying things like "Government is the problem" while they demand drastic reductions in the federal workforce come next election time.

Ill tell you what,I know who Im not voting for.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed