Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FeedTheFed  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 8:20:03 AM(UTC)
FeedTheFed

Groups: Registered

Hi, can someone help me understand.  I was out for 4 weeks - 2 pay periods.  I took 72 hours of LWOP each pay period and used 8 hours of leave each pay period.  The 1st pay period I earned annual and sick leave and the 2nd pay period I did not accure sick leave and annual leave.   I was told by our civilian personell office it was accumulative - it was like once I reached 80 then I earn no more leave. 

I'm confused, I found this posted on the Air Force's Civilian Personnel Center's website:

“No leave is accrued when LWOP or AWOL reaches 80 hours in a pay period.  Intermittent employees do not earn annual or sick leave.  Part-time employees must have a regularly scheduled tour of duty in order to earn leave.  Leave is earned according to guidance found in AFI 36-815, chapters 2 and 3.  Address questions on sick or annual leave to your local or servicing Civilian Personnel Flight.”

If I am reading this correctly.  As long as I don't reach 80 hours in a pay period I should accrue leave.  Right?    
Nick-A-Pooh  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 8:43:13 AM(UTC)
Nick-A-Pooh

Nope.  That 80 hours is a cumulative total.  The following is from OPM.
When a full-time employee accumulates 80
hours of LWOP during a pay period, the employee does not earn annual
leave or sick leave during that pay period.  The employee earns
leave in the next succeeding pay periods until he or she again accumulates
80 hours of LWOP during a pay period (5 CFR 630.208).  When a part-time
employee is in a nonpay status, he or she will accrue less annual leave
and sick leave, since part-time employees earn leave on a pro-rata basis--i.e.,
based on hours in a pay status (5 CFR 630.303 and 630.406).

For purposes
of computing accrual rates for annual leave
(i.e., 4, 6, 8 hours each pay period), 6
months of nonpay status in a calendar year is
creditable service (5 U.S.C. 6303(a) and 8332(f)).

blaydese  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 8:59:00 AM(UTC)
blaydese

LWOP is like not working, why do you earn something for doing nothing? 

Sorry if that sounds rude / tort, but that is how I remember that rule.
Never had to take it myself, but I too  asked that question once and
the above was how I remembered it.

Hope the previous post and my short reminder sentence helps.

May I ask, why even take/do LWOP?  Is it something you can ask for donor leave?

Well whatever it is, I hope it gets better for you.

Peace!

Yeah
FeedTheFed  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 6:36:32 PM(UTC)
FeedTheFed

Thank you for your answers.  If I am understanding correctly, each pay period is accumulative.  So in a pay period 72 hours of LWOP is taken and you have not reached 80 in that pay period, a full time regular federal employee earns leave.  Right?

jgve1952  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 7:20:19 PM(UTC)
jgve1952

Yes, FeedTheFed, in the pay period when you hit the 80th hour of LWOP in the calendar year, you will not earn annual or sick leave for that pay period and every multiple of 80 thereafter 80, 160, 240, etc.  I also think something happens if you exceed 6 months that changes your service time.  As another poster suggested, maybe go on a leave donor program, and your leave is restored including any accruals you lost during your 80 hours of LWOP.  I understand now that employees of other agencies can donate leave.  I only wish that we could donate sick leave in additon to annual leave, because when you retire you lose any odd days of leave--i.e. 32 years, 5 months and 16 days becomes 32 years and 5 months and the 16 days are lost--could be donated to someone such as yourself. jgve19522011-03-05 03:27:07
Rss Feed  Atom Feed