Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DoDMan  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 7:16:29 AM(UTC)
DoDMan

Groups: Registered

Hey, everybody. Hope yall are doing well.
Had 2 quick questions. Got out of the service a few years ago and went to school full time. Just landed a position with a DoD contractor, signed the paperwork and everything. Also, just received notification from the contractor that my clearance has been successfully reactivated. All this took less than a week from the time of receiving a verbal job offer by phone out of the blue (no interview) to having the clearance go through. My first question is: Is it unusual for things to go like this? Never before have I been offered a job based on a resume posted on a jobs site without an interview. Again, from the time I was called with an offer (out of the blue) to the time the clearance was reactivated, not even a week had passed. When I was being processed for a clearance for the first time about four years ago (never had one before at that point so it was a completely brand new investigation and sf86) , it took them about 4 months (I've been told this is unusual but I've never even gotten parking ticket) Has this happened to anybody?

Also, when the clearance went through, I was told to go ahead and give my two weeks notice. Then I was told to hold off another week until the CAC card goes through to "be absolutely sure." I believe a CAC card is basically like a badge to get access to my place of work  though I may be mistaken. Does it ever happen that someone is granted clearance but denied CAC? How often? And what is the probability?

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them before? Should I be worried about anything? This seems suspicious but at the same time I know DoD can really speed things up if they really need someone with specific qualifications. Your advice is appreciated. 

Thanks, best, and Godspeed.

Knight  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 8:47:46 PM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
pet peeve, it is a CAC (Common Access Card) not a CAC card. (Common Access Card Card).

I believe that the BI for a CAC is easier then a clearance.
hjajck  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 10:25:33 PM(UTC)
hjajck

DoDMan wrote:
I believe a CAC card is basically like a badge to get access to my place of work  though I may be mistaken.

This is not true.  A CAC is a controlled item that contains electronic PKI certificates.  The common misconception is that it's just an ID card.  If it is lost, stolen, or misplaced you have to file a police report to get a new one (within the DoD).
hjajck2011-03-08 06:31:05
elcid89  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 10:46:39 PM(UTC)
elcid89

Knight wrote:
pet peeve, it is a CAC (Common Access Card) not a CAC card. (Common Access Card Card).

I believe that the BI for a CAC is easier then a clearance.

I wasn't aware that there is any sort of BI for a CAC. I got mine 3 days after in-processing, and the only hold-up was that your email address has to have already been set up before you can go get the card. Mine hadn't been when I in-processed or I could have gone and gotten it that day.
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
totj  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:52:10 AM(UTC)
totj

hjajck wrote:
DoDMan wrote:
I believe a CAC card is basically like a badge to get access to my place of work  though I may be mistaken.

This is not true.  A CAC is a controlled item that contains electronic PKI certificates.  The common misconception is that it's just an ID card.  If it is lost, stolen, or misplaced you have to file a police report to get a new one (within the DoD).

Not entirely true either.

Your CAC can be used to badge in to SKIF's.
YaFace  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:30:49 AM(UTC)
YaFace

Those things are like $150 per card. Also yes it is called a CAC. Much like an ATM Machine, or VIN Number, saying CAC card is very incorrect, and will drive certain people (myself included sometimes) crazy. It can provide for some awesome intentional humor though. When checking people in for flights, first thing I say is: "Can I see your CAC?" It's a completely legit question, but sounds totally twisted and perverted. Whoever thought the name up for that card either knew exactly what they were doing, or is the dumbest person on earth.
Go government!
Knight  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:07:18 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

From the website: http://www.cac.mil/Getting.html

To receive a next-generation CAC, all eligible personnel must be entered into DEERS. To establish a DEERS record, all personnel must undergo proper identity vetting.

A next-generation CAC can only be issued once:

• A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fingerprint check has been completed and approved
  • A National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI)* background security check is in the process of being completed

*Note: Since the NACI process can take up to 18 months, an individual may be issued a CAC before the process is completed. However, if the NACI process is completed and a person does not get "cleared," his or her CAC will then be revoked.

hjajck  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:39:21 AM(UTC)
hjajck

totj wrote:
hjajck wrote:
DoDMan wrote:

Not entirely true either.

Your CAC can be used to badge in to SKIF's.

I am not familiar with the acronymn. 

That is true according to current DoD Information Assurance Awareness training.
Knight  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:24:00 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF; pronounced "skiff")
Beagle  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:11:39 PM(UTC)
Beagle

It took less than 5 mins to get my CAC.  Fill out a one page request, get my photo, wait a min then it's done.
Will  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:17:26 PM(UTC)
Will

Back to the original question...

I have had that happen when the paperwork on the government side had not been done yet.   As for what to do, don't quit any current job until they get everything done and you are told you have a job and to report on a certain date in writing.

DoDMan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:13:41 PM(UTC)
DoDMan

Should I be worried that this happening so fast...without an interview...or an sf86C? Dunno, just kinda weird.
Knight  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 8:28:13 PM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Beagle, did they fingerprint you? I think fingerprints are in there somewhere. It may have took you 5 min but I bet there was some behind the scene action going on first.
tx81  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:24:33 PM(UTC)
tx81

cac card cac card cac card!!!!!
goskins  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 09, 2011 12:40:12 PM(UTC)
goskins

Would a felony from 1996 prevent getting a CAC?
Beagle  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:57:21 PM(UTC)
Beagle

Knight wrote:
Beagle, did they fingerprint you? I think fingerprints are in there somewhere. It may have took you 5 min but I bet there was some behind the scene action going on first.

Yeah it was electronic like the one on the military base for id.  Exact same system.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed