Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

282 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iluvfra  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:19:28 AM(UTC)
iluvfra

Groups: Registered

Hi Folks,

Anyone out there who has taken the ISO exam recently. I was
notified of my exam date and was given a link to a very short study manual.

I am wondering how much time do you have and how many questions are on the exam?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

iluvfra  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 7:05:51 AM(UTC)
iluvfra

bren7878,

I am testing in LA in a couple of weeks? I am really motivated to do well and would also like to know how many questions are on the test (the logical reasoning and the writing part). This would help with pacing.... 

I have spent several hours searching on the net, trying to find someone who shares his/her test experience -- nothing! I can't find anyone's test experience.... HELP???

When and where are you testing?

iluvfra  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 8:07:10 AM(UTC)
iluvfra

bren7878,
I am testing in two weeks (4.2.11). When is your test?
Yes, I would appreciate any information that you can share.... I am taking the same approach: Study, study, study,study.... So, how do we best prepare for this thing? I also worked through the little booklet.... Well, I need more practice.... Do you have any study material that you can share??? I have found some links that I would be happy to share with you.

iluvfra  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 12:32:36 PM(UTC)
iluvfra

Sure. will do.
iluvfra  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 12:42:09 PM(UTC)
iluvfra

bren7878,
For some reason I am unable to send a private message... Well, I have been looking at various LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) questions.... lots of stuff on this online. These test questions, though, seem quite a bit harder than the USCIS manual. I also bought the LSAT For Dummies book... helpful but certainly geared toward the Law School Admissions Test. I don't want to study unrelated stuff, however, reading and analyzing paragraphs can't hurt.

I did a search on logical reasoning on the web and found countless links.... I wish there would be more specific stuff out there on the ISO test!

The Border Patrol Exam is a different can of worms... I went to the book store and examined a copy. It doesn't really resemble the test booklet for the ISO test.
Have you "interviewed" your ISO friends and squeezed every drop of information from them??? :) Let me know once you have more info. This test is important!!!
kristin  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:34:41 AM(UTC)
kristin

This is an old thread, but there's some good info in it:

iluvfra  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:10:34 AM(UTC)
iluvfra

Thanks, Kristin. 
uscisman  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 12:43:23 PM(UTC)
uscisman

i took the ISO exam this morning in Burlington VT.....100 ppl were scheduled and about 60 showed up......they are also having another exam in vt on weds.....and had a second one this afternoon.  seems there are a ton of applicants....

i also was referred to the employing agency for consideration  for ISO Vacancy ID:       445078, FRESNO CA  without even taking the exam.....i'm puzzled by this, anyone know how i can be referred without even taking the exam?  thanks for all replies!
Mike in VT  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 9:48:51 PM(UTC)
Mike in VT

was the other vacancy a status announcement?
uscisman  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 10:38:09 PM(UTC)
uscisman

the vacancy says "Who May Be Considered: LOCAL COMMUTING AREA: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) employees with competitive status."

does this mean it is a status announcementApprove?
Mike in VT  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 10:41:09 PM(UTC)
Mike in VT

any announcement in which ONLY federal employees may apply is a status announcement.  Status announcements do not require the exam.

uscisman  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 10:51:12 PM(UTC)
uscisman

thanks mike
iluvfra  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:54:51 PM(UTC)
iluvfra

UCISMAN,

I will be taking the test in LA this week. Would you be willing to share how many questions were in the reasoning and language part? How much time did you have for each section?

What was your impression??? How tricky was the logical reasoning part? Similar to the questions in the manual?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

uscisman  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:28:25 AM(UTC)
uscisman

the exam has 3 major sections, reasoning, grammar, and personal assessment

the reasoning section was perfectly related to the study guide....i don't remember how many questions, but i think it was like 37 questions, you have about 2 mins a question.....i found that there was enough time to finish and go over a few of the tricky ones more than once.  you then have a ten minute break.

i found the grammar was also very similar to the study guide....there were about 40 questions, and again i found there to be ample time to finish and then double check some of the trickier paragraph ordering questions.  you have less than 2 minutes a question.  i found this section outdated--all of the spelling and most of the grammar questions can be caught with spell check and grammar check with Microsoft word.  i think i missed a few spelling questions.

the self assessment was over 60 questions.....everyone finished it early so the exam actually ended before the time allotted.  there were no surprises except for the fact that they did not let you write in the test booklets..... annoying as far as i'm concerned, you can't cross out eliminated answer choices.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.Tongue

av.tv  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:07:02 AM(UTC)
av.tv

I took the exam on 03/21 and was told that it would take 4-6 weeks to get results. I was wondering since a lot of people are taking the exam on April 1 as well as on 2nd, that is probably the reason why it would take that long to get the results.

I did guess on about 5-6 questions for the first portion of the test because I did not pay attention to how long it is. I know-very stupid of me to do that, I assumed that if the test is 3 hours and 15 minutes then it would be over an hour for each of the two tests, I was not aware of the third part because the prep materials did not say anything about that.

I do not know if my score will be ruined because of it but I hope that my experience and education will help to get me an interview. Does anyone know if they just look at the score or take under consideration that a person has a degree and also experience?
Eagleone  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 1:42:08 AM(UTC)
Eagleone

av.tv,

I don't think that your final score is your test score.  I think education, work experience etc. will also be added to your final score.  Also been told that they normally will send your test results within 2-3 weeks although they have 1 month to do so.
Eagleone2011-04-01 10:11:42
av.tv  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 3:18:13 AM(UTC)
av.tv

Eagleone,
Thank you so much. This does make more sense to me.
Well, today is almost two weeks and dont have the score yet.
Please keep us updated if anyone else gets the score.
Kokoro  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 12:37:04 AM(UTC)
Kokoro

av.tv wrote:
Eagleone,
Thank you so much. This does make more sense to me.
Well, today is almost two weeks and dont have the score yet.
Please keep us updated if anyone else gets the score.

I believe that after the last scheduled test date, which was 4/2, they'll be able to start the 2nd phase of the selection process. I hope they hurry, but it'll probably take a couple weeks from now to get the results.  

Eagleone  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 3:08:42 AM(UTC)
Eagleone

At this point we have no other choice than waiting.  A lot of times, I am just patiently waiting and waiting and I have "no idea" what is it that I am patiently waiting for! LOL  you develop this habit after few times of applying for Fed jobs.
rogercrisp  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 8:39:20 AM(UTC)
rogercrisp

rogercrisp2011-07-17 17:24:41
Rss Feed  Atom Feed