Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

460 Pages«<458459460
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pumas1234  
#9181 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:37:49 AM(UTC)
Pumas1234

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Medic17 Go to Quoted Post
Like I said, SCOPS is not operating under a hiring freeze. The PSC has brought people on board after the FOD announced its freeze.

Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
I work at the service center in Lee's Summit. There is a hiring freeze that is affecting service centers and field offices. Everyone who was offered a position with a start date before December 22nd came on board. All others are in a holding pattern indefinitely until the freeze is lifted. There is zero information out there on how long this will last. Lots of speculation on this board as to why but no one knows the real reason other than typical government bureaucracy and incompetence.

The freeze is for the Field Office Directorate not for SCOPS. SCOPS is still bring people on board.The Vermont service center posted an announcement for ISO. I believe Lee's Summit falls under the FOD.

I just went over the 2020 Budget for the Department of Homeland Security and believe I know what's going on with the hiring freeze for USCIS.

Congress decided to not approve additional funding requested for ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol, and the current administration is diverting these funds from USCIS, from the 2020 budget, to those agencies: ICE, CBP and the Border Patrol. It seems to be a way to get around the congressional denial of the additional funds requested and denied by congress for those other agencies.

It's upsetting and frustrating. And it's creating a huge backlog, a huge mess that will have to be cleaned up by us once we're hired.

It seems it's being done under the radar/under the table. I hope some high profile person can inform the media or someone high profile can stop this. Taking funds from one Agency and creating a hole there to finance others without congressional or official approval is wrong.

I hope that they change this and do things right. We need to get hired so that we can help USCIS receive the funds from applications that pay for all Homeland Security agencies.

There are more than 220 Field Offices plus Lee's Summit that are under the FOD which is affected by the hiring freeze.

There are only 5 Service Centers and they are not all hiring right now. So, the Service Center hiring is peanuts compared to the total of offices under the freeze that are not hiring.

However you want to refer to it, brand it, dress it, or stage it, this hiring freeze is affecting a lot of people and it's wrong. If the budget was not approved for ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol to receive extra funds, they should not be taken from USCIS.

What a mess!

ALL of USCIS is under hiring constraints right now, not just FOD. And since when is Service Center hiring peanuts? It's always been the largest portion of hiring. When Centers hire, it's done by the dozens, if not more. When Field Offices hire, the amounts are always small. You can always tell this is the case by examining the population at the Academy. 2/3 to 3/4 of each class is made up of Service Center ISOs.

How often do you go to the academy? Lol, dont get so offended.
XFed77  
#9182 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:52:24 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
Like I said, SCOPS is not operating under a hiring freeze. The PSC has brought people on board after the FOD announced its freeze.

I work at the service center in Lee's Summit. There is a hiring freeze that is affecting service centers and field offices. Everyone who was offered a position with a start date before December 22nd came on board. All others are in a holding pattern indefinitely until the freeze is lifted. There is zero information out there on how long this will last. Lots of speculation on this board as to why but no one knows the real reason other than typical government bureaucracy and incompetence.

The freeze is for the Field Office Directorate not for SCOPS. SCOPS is still bring people on board.The Vermont service center posted an announcement for ISO. I believe Lee's Summit falls under the FOD.

I just went over the 2020 Budget for the Department of Homeland Security and believe I know what's going on with the hiring freeze for USCIS.

Congress decided to not approve additional funding requested for ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol, and the current administration is diverting these funds from USCIS, from the 2020 budget, to those agencies: ICE, CBP and the Border Patrol. It seems to be a way to get around the congressional denial of the additional funds requested and denied by congress for those other agencies.

It's upsetting and frustrating. And it's creating a huge backlog, a huge mess that will have to be cleaned up by us once we're hired.

It seems it's being done under the radar/under the table. I hope some high profile person can inform the media or someone high profile can stop this. Taking funds from one Agency and creating a hole there to finance others without congressional or official approval is wrong.

I hope that they change this and do things right. We need to get hired so that we can help USCIS receive the funds from applications that pay for all Homeland Security agencies.

There are more than 220 Field Offices plus Lee's Summit that are under the FOD which is affected by the hiring freeze.

There are only 5 Service Centers and they are not all hiring right now. So, the Service Center hiring is peanuts compared to the total of offices under the freeze that are not hiring.

However you want to refer to it, brand it, dress it, or stage it, this hiring freeze is affecting a lot of people and it's wrong. If the budget was not approved for ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol to receive extra funds, they should not be taken from USCIS.

What a mess!

ALL of USCIS is under hiring constraints right now, not just FOD. And since when is Service Center hiring peanuts? It's always been the largest portion of hiring. When Centers hire, it's done by the dozens, if not more. When Field Offices hire, the amounts are always small. You can always tell this is the case by examining the population at the Academy. 2/3 to 3/4 of each class is made up of Service Center ISOs.

Right, Pumas... People taking stuff personal... Relax...

eryus  
#9183 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:06:08 PM(UTC)
eryus

United States

Hi, everyone. Good news! I sent email to USCIS HR about application status. I applied ISO1 on California Service Center. Today they replied me that many service centers are not currently affected by any hiring freeze include Laguna Niguel. So just being patient!
XFed77  
#9184 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:27:15 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: eryus Go to Quoted Post
Hi, everyone. Good news! I sent email to USCIS HR about application status. I applied ISO1 on California Service Center. Today they replied me that many service centers are not currently affected by any hiring freeze include Laguna Niguel. So just being patient!

Hi,

Congratulations!

When did that position close?

Many of us are affected because we are waiting for either Lee's Summit or a Field Office. But good to know that some others are getting hired.

Mike in VT  
#9185 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:23:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 67 post(s)

What a mess!

Sorry you are taking it that way. I'm not upset at all, just correcting the information.

XFed77  
#9186 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:08:34 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

What a mess!

Sorry you are taking it that way. I'm not upset at all, just correcting the information.

Sounds good.

Thank You.

XFed77  
#9187 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:20:19 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Today I saw that the USCIS Phoenix Field Office announced 3 Immigration Services Assistants (OA), and there was another for an Immigration Services Officer (Application Support Center) for the Office of Field Operations, Saipan Field Support Office, District 41 for the Saipan, Mariana Island

3 days ago there was an announcement for a Supervisor Immigration Service Officer under the FOD for Yakima, Washington...

Could it be that the hiring freeze is slowly thawing?

Let's hope.
thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
athena79 on 1/23/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#9188 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:46:01 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I contacted HROC today and they said we are still under the freeze. Nothing administrative will be done he said.
My next step is the final offer but since I am on the freeze 🥶 nope. Not yet.
XFed77  
#9189 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:54:55 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I contacted HROC today and they said we are still under the freeze. Nothing administrative will be done he said.
My next step is the final offer but since I am on the freeze 🥶 nope. Not yet.

I appreciate your update!

Has HROC commented or given you an estimate/ballpark expectation of when the freeze will be lifted?

Thanks.

Mukapuka  
#9190 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:57:44 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

There is no date. No one knows. This was their reply today....

At this time, all administrative actions for your selection are on hold other than the security process. This means that we would not be able to coordinate a start date or finalize your offer until the freeze is lifted.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

thanks 1 user thanked Mukapuka for this useful post.
athena79 on 1/23/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#9191 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:59:05 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I really think this freeze is to create a backlog to justify that high application fees they want to implement
XFed77  
#9192 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:02:31 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

There is no date. No one knows. This was their reply today....

At this time, all administrative actions for your selection are on hold other than the security process. This means that we would not be able to coordinate a start date or finalize your offer until the freeze is lifted.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank You Mukapuka!

We should probably contact our local Congressperson regarding this freeze to see if we can get any answers.

I appreciate you pasting your answer here. Can't get more official than that.

cisgirl  
#9193 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:19:06 AM(UTC)
cisgirl

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello All!

I recently applied for the Immigration Services Analyst position at TSC in Dallas that opened back in December. I currently work for USCIS as an immigration analyst but at a different location. I had an interview 2 days ago but i think i failed it.

I noticed on the email that there were 10 slots for interviews and 9 vacancies on the announcement.

Even though i bombed my interview, Do you guys think i still have a chance since i'm already an analyst in USCIS? How's life as an analyst at TSC?

Thanks!
Mukapuka  
#9194 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:22:22 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Cisgirl. I applied and interviewed in December for your position in another state. Can you tell me what an Analyst normally does and what grades are the positions?
cisgirl  
#9195 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:28:26 AM(UTC)
cisgirl

Cisgirl. I applied and interviewed in December for your position in another state. Can you tell me what an Analyst normally does and what grades are the positions?

We basically are support for Officers. We update/review cases for accuracy, do background checks. Since I work at a field office, I have to deal with the public too, answering their questions, etc.

The position goes up to an 9 but with 11 promotion potential.

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2020 5:29:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mukapuka  
#9196 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:53:56 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

When I interviewed for the analyst it sounded a lot for another job I interviewed for which was the immigration services assistant.
cisgirl  
#9197 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 6:31:10 AM(UTC)
cisgirl

When I interviewed for the analyst it sounded a lot for another job I interviewed for which was the immigration services assistant.

Its different. Assistants don't do background checks, etc. Assistants in my office order files for us, schedule interviews for us, and sometimes work in the file room.
Mukapuka  
#9198 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 6:35:18 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I think if I don’t get this immigration services analyst I interviewed for that I will apply when one position opens. There’s not much talk about your position on here. I didn’t know what all you guys do. It sounds like a position I will really like. Thank you !
XFed77  
#9199 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 5:20:54 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: cisgirl Go to Quoted Post
Hello All!

I recently applied for the Immigration Services Analyst position at TSC in Dallas that opened back in December. I currently work for USCIS as an immigration analyst but at a different location. I had an interview 2 days ago but i think i failed it.

I noticed on the email that there were 10 slots for interviews and 9 vacancies on the announcement.

Even though i bombed my interview, Do you guys think i still have a chance since i'm already an analyst in USCIS? How's life as an analyst at TSC?

Thanks!

You never know; you might have passed the interview. Sometimes we are tougher on ourselves than we should.

There are times that having a great interview is essential to land a position. Other times, if they love everything about your experience/background, interviews are just formalities. You might have a shot. Don't count yourself out just yet.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed