Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

459 Pages«<457458459
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pumas1234  
#9161 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:51:48 PM(UTC)
Pumas1234

Groups: Registered

Honestly let's be real, and call USCIS what they are, unprofessional. They knew this was headed this way but kept posting jobs and kept offering TOs. They could care less what it does to people. The agency is run by scumbags who only care about themselves. They will not work to lift this freeze and will simply rescind offers and move on with an understaffed workforce that will continue to fail both financially and in their mission to secure American borders. It has been nothing short of a hellish process and I hope that those who made this decision would simply rescind our offers and be done with it, but no, they will choose to give us nothing answers and treat us as they have during the entire hiring process, useless pawns.

P.S. The customer service e-mail is the laziest service I have ever interacted with, maybe cut those jobs if you need to free up some funding, anyone can copy and paste the same form response to any possible e-mail they get.
Medic17  
#9162 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:41:21 PM(UTC)
Medic17

United States

I find it curious that USCIS would have a hiring freeze and suspend OT during an election year when naturalization applications increase exponentially. The FOs will be inundated with N400s.

Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
I work as an ISO for a service center and there has been a lot of change since September when it comes to USCIS’ budget. The first thing to happen was the freezing of overtime availability. We went from being able to accumulate 36 hours of overtime per pay period to zero hours permitted. We were told to expect this to be the case for at least the next year.

In mid-December we received an email from USCIS’ FOD stating that a temporary hiring freeze is in effect for all FOD-funded positions that have an EOD after December 22, 2019. At first, they announced that these offers after December 22 were going to be formally rescinded but then several days later they backtracked and said that the folks that had already received offers and EOD dates after December 22nd would still be allowed to hold their positions, however their start dates would be frozen until the budget comes through and the hiring freeze is lifted.

The only indication given as to how long this freeze is going to last was worded this way – “Over the next few weeks and months, we will closely monitor the budget forecast and gradually lift restrictions on hiring to the extent it is fiscally prudent.” At this point no one knows how long this is going to last.

I hope the way I worded all that makes sense. I feel so bad for those affected by this freeze and what it’s done to folks’ plans to move states and folks who had already put in their notice at their former jobs. If it’s possible I highly recommend sticking it out and getting on board with this agency when the freeze is lifted. I absolutely love my position here at USCIS and so do 95% of my coworkers. Hang in there.

Megs2693  
#9163 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:29:04 PM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Agreed. The massive backlog of certain applications at my service center has risen exponentially ever since overtime was taken away and it will only continue to get worse.
inbetweenjobs  
#9164 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 4:24:52 PM(UTC)
inbetweenjobs

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the backlog is growing, the hiring and overtime freeze will just speed up the backlog. What exactly is their thought process here? Are they leaving down to be more efficient? More workload per employee? How is that being handled, makes no sense.

I have my EAD for an ISO at a service center and I've already put my notice at current job. I have not heard anything from them about rescinding or delays and my EAD is approaching 3 weeks from now.

I guess there is no guarantee but if I was part of this freeze, wouldn't I have heard by now?
Mukapuka  
#9165 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 4:47:00 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have heard that the reason that they want the freeze And the backlog of applications is to raise the price on application fees. The backlog will justify raising price on applications by saying they need to hire people. It’s all politics.
BlueLine5  
#9166 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:36:13 PM(UTC)
BlueLine5

United States

Did anyone apply to the ISO opening at Lee’s Summit in November? It’s been a while since the writing assessment, wondering if anyone has heard anything?
Kay.Kay  
#9167 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:18:13 AM(UTC)
Kay.Kay

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nobody previously offered jobs has heard any movement. I wouldn't assume that this will work out for most. Don't hold on to false hope. This agency has a trend. Be careful.
inbetweenjobs  
#9168 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:33:44 PM(UTC)
inbetweenjobs

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kay.Kay Go to Quoted Post
Nobody previously offered jobs has heard any movement. I wouldn't assume that this will work out for most. Don't hold on to false hope. This agency has a trend. Be careful.

It appears the freezes only effected the field offices. I have not heard anything since given my EOD date for service center. Infact I've seen more postings for this position at this location since the freeze was announced. This seems to be very location based as well.
The VSC posting I applied for is still looking for more ISOs while it appears the CSC postings have stopped altogether. I think they are assessing all staffing needs during the freeze. And for places that are in fact well understaffed, there is no apparent freeze.
some offices have known to have gone overboard with OT and mass hirings. This may just be the freeze needed to overview the needs of the certain areas.

Just my thought.

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:34:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked inbetweenjobs for this useful post.
The_Star_Card on 1/16/2020(UTC)
The_Star_Card  
#9169 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:46:33 PM(UTC)
The_Star_Card

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: BlueLine5 Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone apply to the ISO opening at Lee’s Summit in November? It’s been a while since the writing assessment, wondering if anyone has heard anything?

I applied to an ISO opening in Lee Summit that closed in October. I want to say i took the Vantage writing assessment in November (i think) or early December. Haven't heard anything.

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:40:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

eryus  
#9170 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:25:17 PM(UTC)
eryus

United States

Hi everyone, I encountered a problem need get advice from all you guys. I was given the tentative offer days ago for CBP officer, and I stated that I am currently having a job on the resume; however, I was terminated yesterday due to poor performance. So should I notify this issue to HR? Will the termination affect selection process which may cause rescind final offer?
Megs2693  
#9171 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:23:05 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I work at the service center in Lee's Summit. There is a hiring freeze that is affecting service centers and field offices. Everyone who was offered a position with a start date before December 22nd came on board. All others are in a holding pattern indefinitely until the freeze is lifted. There is zero information out there on how long this will last. Lots of speculation on this board as to why but no one knows the real reason other than typical government bureaucracy and incompetence.
thanks 1 user thanked Megs2693 for this useful post.
zizzer on 1/17/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#9172 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:41:15 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I think they want to create a backlog to justify the application fees they want to raise this year..
Medic17  
#9173 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 4:09:41 PM(UTC)
Medic17

United States

I work at the service center in Lee's Summit. There is a hiring freeze that is affecting service centers and field offices. Everyone who was offered a position with a start date before December 22nd came on board. All others are in a holding pattern indefinitely until the freeze is lifted. There is zero information out there on how long this will last. Lots of speculation on this board as to why but no one knows the real reason other than typical government bureaucracy and incompetence.

The freeze is for the Field Office Directorate not for SCOPS. SCOPS is still bring people on board.The Vermont service center posted an announcement for ISO. I believe Lee's Summit falls under the FOD.
XFed77  
#9174 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:14:07 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Medic17 Go to Quoted Post

The freeze is for the Field Office Directorate not for SCOPS. SCOPS is still bring people on board.The Vermont service center posted an announcement for ISO. I believe Lee's Summit falls under the FOD.

I just went over the 2020 Budget for the Department of Homeland Security and believe I know what's going on with the hiring freeze for USCIS.

Congress decided to not approve additional funding requested for ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol, and the current administration is diverting these funds from USCIS, from the 2020 budget, to those agencies: ICE, CBP and the Border Patrol. It seems to be a way to get around the congressional denial of the additional funds requested and denied by congress for those other agencies.

It's upsetting and frustrating. And it's creating a huge backlog, a huge mess that will have to be cleaned up by us once we're hired.

It seems it's being done under the radar/under the table. I hope some high profile person can inform the media or someone high profile can stop this. Taking funds from one Agency and creating a hole there to finance others without congressional or official approval is wrong.

I hope that they change this and do things right. We need to get hired so that we can help USCIS receive the funds from applications that pay for all Homeland Security agencies.

Mukapuka  
#9175 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:35:03 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I came up with the same conclusion. They want to hike up the fees for applications. They will justify it by saying there is a backlog.
XFed77  
#9176 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:44:30 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I came up with the same conclusion. They want to hike up the fees for applications. They will justify it by saying there is a backlog.

The Stupid thing about this is that the funds collected by USCIS through the fees for applications for benefits, finance/fund all the other related DHS Agencies. It's the wrong agency from which to take the funds needed for the others because it's where they need full funding in order to increase the receipt of funds. It's where the money comes from!

A person of normal intelligence and sound knowledge of accounting principles in charge of these maneuvers to divert funds from USCIS to the other agencies should have realized that it was like "shooting the Department of Homeland Security in it's foot" by doing this...

I guess they were just following orders no matter how ridiculous and self defeating they are...

Rss Feed  Atom Feed