Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

418 Pages«<416417418
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stumped  
#8341 Posted : Saturday, September 09, 2017 9:43:25 PM(UTC)
Stumped

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Mirzaa Go to Quoted Post
I am currently a GS9 in a different agency. I recently got the TO for same grade and step for NYC.
From reading this thread it seems this will be a ISO 1 in NYC field office ? If that is correct, is this going to be answering phone calls or working the counter?

From the job description.. it says that ISO adjudicate claims... if I am working the counter that is not really adjudicating...

If there is anyone here, who started off as a ISO1 in a FO. Can you share your experience.. how is the work life.

My current job is pretty much post-adjudicative processing in a cubicle... If i take this.. i am assuming i will not be in a cubicle anymore?

Is it easy to get promoted to GS-11 from... a GS-9..

Will I need to serve a new probationary period? On SF-50 it says i am competitive, will that be changed to conditional?

I want to make the best decision. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you.

In my encounters, I've observed ISO1s fulfilling a wide variety of roles depending on the office. During basic, I met a classmate who was already adjudicating the more complex cases before she had even been sent to the basic training. My office works a bit differently. We have some long tenured officers who solely work the counter answering immigration questions and newer more ambitious officers who adjudicate our simplest forms (citizenship) and only rarely work at the counter.

Promotion to ISO2 allows you to easily reach GS-12. However, in order to be selected for the ISO2 position you first have to find an opening. I've found that some offices post lots of these openings while others rarely open up.

I enjoy the job outside of the normal government issues (namely apathetic senior employees and boring training), but otherwise, I enjoy meeting people from diverse backgrounds while using my judgment to apply the law to the facts that I try to solicit during the interviews. Fortunately, I've volunteered for all of the training my office offers and so I'm able to see very different forms and learn new things each day. (I would be bored to tears doing the same thing every day while older officers seem to prefer doing the same exact form every single day). Quality of life is also excellent with flexible schedules (4x10s), job security, and good hearted management.

Most officers rarely leave the office/cubicle (except for outreach or if they transfer to FDNS).

Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Edited by user Saturday, September 09, 2017 9:45:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nelcom17  
#8342 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:10:41 PM(UTC)
nelcom17

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

fedguyCA

I haven't heard from them. It's been a while so I will apply to others. It's a shame because I didn't take 2 interviews for ISOs in other locations because of that job.

Well, that's life. It was a GS-9 and the others were GS-7s. I will continue applying.

Do you or anyone know if training at Service Centers is at the same location or do Service Center ISOs have to travel for training also?

Thanks!

Nick

Mike in VT  
#8343 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:47:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nelcom17 Go to Quoted Post

fedguyCA

I haven't heard from them. It's been a while so I will apply to others. It's a shame because I didn't take 2 interviews for ISOs in other locations because of that job.

Well, that's life. It was a GS-9 and the others were GS-7s. I will continue applying.

Do you or anyone know if training at Service Centers is at the same location or do Service Center ISOs have to travel for training also?

Thanks!

Nick

All USCIS Officers attend Basic at FLETC in Charleston, SC. You will have specific form-type training before or after Basic at your local office.
brenden992  
#8344 Posted : Thursday, October 05, 2017 5:40:03 PM(UTC)
brenden992

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone know if you can go from an ISO I GS-05 to an ISO-2 GS-09?

I almost have a year at my current office as an ISO, GS-05, and then will get my 7. At my current office there is no difference between ISO-1's and 2's. I have the experience interviewing different forms. I know many offices have their ISO-1's doing info counter and various other tasks. If I transferred to an office that only have ISO-2's interviewing, would I be able to transfer up to a GS-09 or perhaps have the same duties as an ISO 2 at a GS-07?

Thanks for the insight!
Mike in VT  
#8345 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2017 4:03:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I have three words for ya....

Time in Grade

unless you have an advanced degree (ie. law or phd), then you have to move up the steps.
bleedgreen18  
#8346 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2017 6:46:11 AM(UTC)
bleedgreen18

United States

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
I have three words for ya....

Time in Grade

unless you have an advanced degree (ie. law or phd), then you have to move up the steps.

Time in Grade applies to merit promotions only, right? If that ISO 2 posting was open to the public, then TIG wouldn't apply, I think.
Ziego  
#8347 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 10:41:09 AM(UTC)
Ziego

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes, but it is a truly rare person who gets ISO2 without maxing out ISO1. Only seen it happen at my Service Center when people left other GS9+ jobs elsewhere in government.

Also it is not clear, how do you qualify for GS-9? You can certainly apply to a job open to the public regardless of your time in grade but you would need a law/master's degree or doctorate to qualify without time in grade.

Edit- sorry, you are not the original poster for this question. The original poster does not understand that there are no ISO2 GS7s, so that is a different issue.

Edited by user Thursday, October 12, 2017 10:42:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

brenden992  
#8348 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:22:19 PM(UTC)
brenden992

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I understand there are no ISO2 GS-07. Qualifying would be doing the same duties listed in the announcement for more than a year. I don't think it's likely but the fact it is a separate job, I figured one could qualify for a GS-09 that way without Time in Grade.
Ziego  
#8349 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 6:44:33 PM(UTC)
Ziego

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: brenden992 Go to Quoted Post
I understand there are no ISO2 GS-07. Qualifying would be doing the same duties listed in the announcement for more than a year. I don't think it's likely but the fact it is a separate job, I figured one could qualify for a GS-09 that way without Time in Grade.

Sure, but I am just asking what you think qualifies you for the position. If you wanted to get it using your federal experience, obviously time in grade would matter. If you wanted to get it without your federal experience, you would either need a graduate degree to qualify as GS-9+ or have done immigration law work without one, which seems unlikely. But I am always interested in people's backgrounds certainly.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed