Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

453 Pages«<451452453
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TexFed77  
#9041 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:09:33 AM(UTC)
TexFed77

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TexFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post
Follow up...Vermont just contacted me for an interview. I am still waiting to hear from Detroit.

Detroit is the Field office and Vermont is in the Service Center.

My general understanding is that the Service Center is processing papers and files while the Field Office you are conducting interviews and are working with the public. Can anyone add to what the differences are from working in a field office vs. service center and feel free to highlight any pros and cons please.

Thank you!

Hello,

Different individuals have different preferences as to what they like/dislike about working in a Field Office or a Service Center.

I worked at both and will give you my perspective.

Benefits of working at:

Service Center - 1) You can eventually work from home. 2) You don't have to deal with the public. 3) There is more flexibility as to taking time off/going on vacations. 4) There are more employees, so there is more opportunity to advance or change jobs. 5) You don't have the pressure of having to do an interview every 30 minutes or every 45 minutes; you can figure out your own way of working your assigned cases, as long as you meet the efficiency/quota for the month. 6) You can pick basically whatever schedule you want within the hours allowed at the particular Service Center. Where I worked, people could come in as early as 6 in the morning and work to 6 pm. 7) You can stretch your lunch hour and make up the time later in the day. 8) You get to work in casual clothes: T-shirt/jeans.

Field Office - 1) It seems your day goes faster because you're interviewing people every 30/45 minutes. 2) The Office is smaller so you get to interact/spend time with co-workers more. 3) You get to see the faces behind the forms/applications. 4) You learn to work faster because you have to interview for one case and then go on to the next one. 5) You get to make decisions on the 2 of the most important benefits: Legal Permanent Status and Citizenship.

As you see, I listed more benefits for the Service Center because I like working there better, a personal preference. Others might have different opinions.

Hope it helps,

Tex

Are there telework opportunities for field office positions? Or, are they exclusively for service centers? Are alternative work schedules permitted for either?

Thank you!

1) Telework - Field Offices are now trying to implement telework. Although at a field office you have to interview people, therefore having to be present at the office in order to do your job, you do it 4 out of 5 days of the week. That other day you get to work on cases you have something pending on or you receive training. On those days, some people telework. Other times people telework is if the office has to shut down because something happened in the building, (like a safety hazard, plumbing,etc.), then people who have telework certification have to work the cases they have from home. So, in the best-case scenario, you can telework one day a week, if your office allows it. Not that many people teleworked at the office I worked at, they were talking about increasing it before I left. It seemed that you were able to get telework certification in case something happened like I described before,(a situation in which employees are sent home), and then you are supposed to not lose a day of work and do it from home.

2) Alternative Work Schedules - Yes, there are alternative work schedules permitted at the field office, more limited than Service Centers because everyone is supposed to interview and everyone has to be available at the earliest time that interviews start at the particular office they work in.

thanks 4 users thanked TexFed77 for this useful post.
athena79 on 9/12/2019(UTC), G0271 on 9/13/2019(UTC), HopeToCompete on 9/13/2019(UTC), grumpybovine on 9/14/2019(UTC)
TexFed77  
#9042 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:20:49 AM(UTC)
TexFed77

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Tex! I appreciate the feedback on pros and cons!

What is the efficiency quota? Is there a minimum amount of forms that a person has to process in the service center per week or month? If so, what is that number?

Thank you!

It depends on the case type. Yes, there are efficiency numbers you have to make once you're fully trained. Discussing the exact number for each form type wouldn't help anyone on the forum, as it's relative to the job once you come aboard. Just know the "quotas" are very achievable.

Agree 100% with what Mike said.
thanks 1 user thanked TexFed77 for this useful post.
G0271 on 9/13/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed