Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

450 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stonewall32  
#41 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:20:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

not to smart off or anything, but I realize that man. Everything you just said is no help and should not have even been post because it was a waste of time. I was just asking people to post when they did here something. I have been applying to the federal world for a year now and I understand the process. So, again not to be rude but please do not post useless information. Thanks.
av.tv  
#42 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:55:30 AM(UTC)

My point was that if anyone knew or wanted to post anything they would and you posting the same questions are not helping. I would think that my post was more helpful that you rude posting. I was trying to encourage and let you know that the process could talk long. I realize that you might know that. To me your post is pointless so rather than being rude just wait and see if others post anything.
Matt  
#43 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:55:49 AM(UTC)
iluvfra

Greetings to everyone!

Stonewall32, take a chill pill! I started this thread and anyone can post whatever they wish on this subject...

Folks, don't put all your eggs in this basket... By nature I am also a bit of "control freak"... but let's face it, folks - We are not in control. In fact, it doesn't help my situation when I know that someone else was called for the interview... It makes me feel depressed.... To be honest, who cares what happens to anyone else if I don't get an interview - right???

I remember the 200 plus people on 4/2 test day in L.A. - that was a shocker to me!!! Mathematically, the chances of getting hired suck!  So, count yourself lucky if you get called back for an interview and rejoice... if not - move on and have a great life. I have prepared myself to move on... 

stonewall32  
#44 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:54:18 AM(UTC)

iluvfra - I understand what you mean. I too am a bit of a control freak and I like to kept up to date. I know what the odds are but I have learned to stay optimistic and keep informed from other people so you do know when to move on. [...] Just wanted to make sure that [all] knew that my purpose was to keep the thread up top on the thread list so people could see it and discuss their progress.Admin2011-04-14 18:09:53
edswebmaster  
#45 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:57:23 AM(UTC)

I just find out about this forum.

I called the OPM and they said within 4 weeks the scores will send out.

I emailed the immigration Human resources today, i did not get the answer yet.
stonewall32  
#46 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:42:38 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the response man. Let us know what you here when you do.
av.tv  
#47 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 12:36:54 AM(UTC)

Guys I just checked my appmanager-it says written test complete and when I go to checklist it just has a check mark next to it and OK. Does it mean I passed? Are they going to send me the score separately? Please help-I am going to be sick.....

And I just notice that the application status has also changed to complete- it used to be "awaiting results you will be notified."
av.tv2011-04-18 09:10:59
stonewall32  
#48 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 2:05:22 AM(UTC)

I contacted HR by e-mail and asked a few questions about # of vacancies and when the test results are expected to come back. I got the response back on April 15th and here it is: 

WTC listed “Many” vacancies, which we define at 4 or more vacancies.

The results for this test have not come back, yet.  You will be notified via email and/or your Application Manager account when the results are in.  Once the results are in, we will send a list of eligibles to the selecting office.  From there, they may choose to do interviews and make selections.

We do not give out contact information for the selecting offices, but please know they have your information should they need to contact you.

av.tv  
#49 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:07:51 AM(UTC)

I just talked to HR representative and was told that there would not be a score sent out, it would just be pass or no pass and within a month or so we should know if we are referred or not.

I passed!!!

Good luck everyone!
stonewall32  
#50 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:34:31 AM(UTC)

So how do you know if you passed?
av.tv  
#51 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:40:57 AM(UTC)

As I said before I saw "complete" and a checkmark with OK, but I dont know if that is the sign. I called them, I guess after you see that you could either e-mail or try to get hold of them. Does your status say "awaiting results - you will be notified"? Mine did and now it is complete for the status also. I hope this was helpful.

Peteylaw06  
#52 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:47:36 AM(UTC)

stonewall32 wrote:
I contacted HR by e-mail and asked a few questions about # of vacancies and when the test results are expected to come back. I got the response back on April 15th and here it is: 

WTC listed “Many” vacancies, which we define at 4 or more vacancies.

The results for this test have not come back, yet.  You will be notified via email and/or your Application Manager account when the results are in.  Once the results are in, we will send a list of eligibles to the selecting office.  From there, they may choose to do interviews and make selections.

We do not give out contact information for the selecting offices, but please know they have your information should they need to contact you.

[/QUOTE]

Stonewall32,

My sources tell me the VSC is looking to fill 40-70 slots, including status candidates and Veterans.  Not sure about the other GEOs though. 
stonewall32  
#53 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:55:12 AM(UTC)

Yea My status says complete with a checkmark and ok as well. So I guess that means I passed as well. 

Peteylaw06 - Yea I believe that the Vermont locations are hiring a ton. I saw an online article stating that they were hiring at least 40 between the two Vermont locations. I was asking about the Los Angeles location and that is what the lady sent back to me.

Quick question for everyone..I live in KY but applied for the Los Angeles location. I have a family friend in Los Angeles who I stay with each time I am there, do you think I should update my biographic information now that my status is complete and put his address as my current address? Will that help me get referred?
Mike in VT  
#54 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:04:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 64 post(s)

Stonewall...no, I wouldn't.  That could backfire on your background investigation.  You would get referred regardless of your current geographical location assuming you applied for the LA opening.

stonewall32  
#55 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:07:19 AM(UTC)

Mike in VT - Thanks for the advice. I won't do it now. I was a little nervous that it may keep me from at least getting an interview because the hiring managers may not want to deal with the whole re-location thing. So even though I live in KY and applied for the LA opening my chances at an interview will not be affected by this?

Mike in VT  
#56 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:17:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 64 post(s)
It should not at all.  People relocate for federal jobs all the time.  If you interview, simply restate your desire to relocate.  If they give you a tentative offer and you accept, they assume you have no problem moving to California.
stonewall32  
#57 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:31:24 AM(UTC)

Again thanks for all the advice Mike in VT. You have calmed my nervous for the time being. As always, everyone continue to keep us up to date so we will have a good idea how things are moving along everywhere..
Peteylaw06  
#58 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:42:56 AM(UTC)

Mike, I agree with you regarding telling the truth about your addresses but I think it is worth mentioning that the interviewer can ask you why you want to make such an extreme move like that.  I was asked (in several interviews) why I wanted to move from Florida to NJ / VT, etc... Not that I think it would ultimately change the outcome but I do think it is something they may take into consideration. 
stonewall32  
#59 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:45:31 AM(UTC)

What would you consider an exceptional response to that?

-My real answer is that I got a degree in Homeland Security but I haven't had a chance to actually experience the homeland. I mean I have been restricted to the east coast my whole life. I think it is necessary that I see the other side of the nation so that I can gain a new perspective on exactly what it is I am protecting....
av.tv  
#60 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 5:00:19 AM(UTC)

I would say you also need to add there something that will show that hiring you is going to be beneficial to them. Do you have any real life experience related to Homeland Security? If I may ask, of course. Also, are you trying to get into GS 5/7 or 9?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed