Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

459 Pages«<453454455456457>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PSEtoPTF  
#9081 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 1:00:42 PM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to delay an EOD date by several weeks/pay periods? If so, by how many? Or, does it depend on specific circumstances? Thank you!

I did ask for later EOD, only one PP later than the 2nd date choice that was initially offered. It gave me a month in total to get ready to move to another state, that’s should be plenty.

thanks 1 user thanked PSEtoPTF for this useful post.
athena79 on 10/19/2019(UTC)
athena79  
#9082 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:15:37 AM(UTC)
athena79

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PSEtoPTF Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to delay an EOD date by several weeks/pay periods? If so, by how many? Or, does it depend on specific circumstances? Thank you!

I did ask for later EOD, only one PP later than the 2nd date choice that was initially offered. It gave me a month in total to get ready to move to another state, that’s should be plenty.

Thank you XFed77 and PSEtoPTF! My EOD date lands around the holidays and I have tentative Thanksgiving and Christmas plans. But, nothing that can't be cancelled. I'm grateful for the offer and excited to start. :D
XFed77  
#9083 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:10:14 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)

Thank you XFed77 and PSEtoPTF! My EOD date lands around the holidays and I have tentative Thanksgiving and Christmas plans. But, nothing that can't be cancelled. I'm grateful for the offer and excited to start. :D

athena79

Congratulations on getting an EOD date offer! I know that you've been waiting. It's Sweet when you get that EOD date offer
after waiting a while, right?

Best of luck in your career as an ISO!

Edited by user Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:11:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
athena79 on 10/21/2019(UTC)
GreatlakesISO  
#9084 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 7:16:17 AM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Updated ISO-2 timeline:

06/10 - Applied
07/08 - NOR
07/08 - Referred
07/10 - Wonderlic Assessment
07/19 - Scheduled for an in-person panel interview
07/22 - Interview
07/25 - References checked
08/12 - Tentative offer
08/25 - Submitted e-QIP/Fingerprints/misc. documents
09/30 - PSA contacted me to sign citizenship declaration form (I'm a dual citizen, signed and sent same day)
10/03 - Got first EOD email, selected date same day
10/05 - EOD rescinded
10/08 - OSI emailed stating that I have been approved for an EOD
10/21 - Second EOD email asking me if my prior selected date still works, confirmed same day

I hope this helps anyone still waiting.

thanks 1 user thanked GreatlakesISO for this useful post.
zizzer on 10/21/2019(UTC)
CaDaShe  
#9085 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:27:44 PM(UTC)
CaDaShe

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zizzer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CaDaShe Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CaDaShe Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Did anyone else who is recently naturalized asked to sign the Citizenship Declaration Form by the USCIS personnel even though you are not dual?
I asked the USCIS personnel and he said it is because i was recently naturalized. I did not sign it because i do not hold a dual citizenship. I just want to ensure that this will not affect my application.

Thank you.

Did you officially renounce your previous citizenship?
I did sign that paper.

I renounced it when I took the Oath of Alliance during the citizenship oath taking. No?

Okay, i did the research just now. I need to officially renounce it. I think I have to sign the Citizenship form.

Thank you.

I read it here in older posts that you do not need to renounce, they may ask you to write a statement that you are willing to do it, and that's it.

https://forum.federalsou...s&t=71417#post786977 or https://forum.federalsou...s&t=72119#post793609

I signed the Citizenship Declaration Form. I was worried at first because i thought its going to affect my application.

Thank you.
zizzer  
#9086 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 2:55:58 AM(UTC)
zizzer

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Good morning!

Did anybody apply for Oklahoma City, Yakima, Fairfax and/or Las Vegas? Any movement since the referral?
thanks 1 user thanked zizzer for this useful post.
BradyPug on 10/28/2019(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#9087 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 4:39:36 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I applied for ISA in Fairfax closed 9/24/19 and had my interview on 10/17/2019 and references were checked a few days after. I am waiting for any word.
thanks 1 user thanked Mukapuka for this useful post.
zizzer on 10/28/2019(UTC)
G0271  
#9088 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 7:05:48 AM(UTC)
G0271

United States

Does a TO ever get rescinded because the background check is taking too long?
PalmFronds  
#9089 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:52:06 AM(UTC)
PalmFronds

Does anyone happen to know the upcoming Basic dates in 2020? More specifically if there is a training period that includes mid April?

I received my EOD at long last as an ISO 1, hurray! I will be starting in early December and I have heard that it can take awhile to get into an upcoming Basic training in Charleston. One estimate I saw said maybe 4-6 months after EOD you might attend.

My issue is I have a prior commitment in mid-April for which I must remain nearby. I’m slightly worried that I will learn that this is when I’ll be asked to go to Basic; if anyone knows that there is NOT a Basic training class that encompasses mid-April 2020, that would ease my mind greatly. Or if the waiting list is currently long such that I most likely wouldn’t attend before mid-April, that would be helpful to know too.

I’ve read that you can ask to attend the next one, but I wouldn’t want to be seen as less committed if that makes sense. Tying up all these loose ends while starting something new definitely isn’t for the faint of heart, ha ha!

Thank you!
XFed77  
#9090 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:01:50 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PalmFronds Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone happen to know the upcoming Basic dates in 2020? More specifically if there is a training period that includes mid April?

I received my EOD at long last as an ISO 1, hurray! I will be starting in early December and I have heard that it can take awhile to get into an upcoming Basic training in Charleston. One estimate I saw said maybe 4-6 months after EOD you might attend.

My issue is I have a prior commitment in mid-April for which I must remain nearby. I’m slightly worried that I will learn that this is when I’ll be asked to go to Basic; if anyone knows that there is NOT a Basic training class that encompasses mid-April 2020, that would ease my mind greatly. Or if the waiting list is currently long such that I most likely wouldn’t attend before mid-April, that would be helpful to know too.

I’ve read that you can ask to attend the next one, but I wouldn’t want to be seen as less committed if that makes sense. Tying up all these loose ends while starting something new definitely isn’t for the faint of heart, ha ha!

Thank you!

Before I went to Basic Training, I saw fellow ISO 1s defer their dates of attendance because they were either in the Military and were scheduled to deploy, or other reasons that were deemed valid. It doesn't hurt you to ask through your Supervisor or designated Basic Training Liason once you report to work. It doesn't affect your appraisals or preception of being committed if you request it. It will depend on the nature of your request. I would discuss it with the Supervisor ASAP.

Congratulations on your EOD and Good luck!

PalmFronds  
#9091 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:49:39 PM(UTC)
PalmFronds

Thank you so much, XFed77—I appreciate it! Fingers crossed that I’m able to work it out.
PrimaDawna  
#9092 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:26:42 PM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give an update for anyone who has applied for ISO with PSC in Arlington VA. I am a former federal employee so I am not on probation.

I have been there for about 8 weeks now. I have had my form type training and mentoring and I am adjudicating cases. Once signed off by my supervisor, I can telework 4 days a week. I currently work a maxi-glide schedule. I normally work nine hour days and take the second Friday of the pay period off.

So far everyone seems very laid back and friendly. Almost all the other employees have worked for other Immigration offices around the country and came to PSC for the telework opportunity or to advance . Some people live as far away as New York or North Carolina.

So far there is no word on when I will go to Basic. I have heard it can take up to a year after EOD.
thanks 2 users thanked PrimaDawna for this useful post.
zizzer on 10/31/2019(UTC), Medic17 on 10/31/2019(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#9093 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 11:37:36 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

This is in Crystal City right? You don’t see customers and only process applications there from what I have read in reviews correct?
I am waiting on Fairfax but have a pending application in crystal city (Arlington)
What is the earliest in the morning you can come in?
PrimaDawna  
#9094 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 11:54:55 PM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
This is in Crystal City right? You don’t see customers and only process applications there from what I have read in reviews correct?
I am waiting on Fairfax but have a pending application in crystal city (Arlington)
What is the earliest in the morning you can come in?

Correct , this is the Crystal City office and we do not see petitoners/applicants in person. The earliest you can work is 6am latest is 6pm.
Mukapuka  
#9095 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:50:44 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Thank you so much. How long was your hiring process for that office? What kind of cases are seen there? You have been so helpful.
PalmFronds  
#9096 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:32:58 AM(UTC)
PalmFronds

Originally Posted by: PrimaDawna Go to Quoted Post

So far there is no word on when I will go to Basic. I have heard it can take up to a year after EOD.

Thanks for sharing details and on your new position, PrimaDawna! I will be starting in a field office soon and I think they differ substantially in terms of telework opportunities for obvious reasons, but it is fun to learn about the Service Centers as well.

My EOD is in early December and I’ve been worried that somehow I’ll be at Basic in mid-April when I have a prior Friday/Saturday commitment, but from your comment it sounds like it could take a while longer than four months to get into a class. Thanks for mentioning that.

PrimaDawna  
#9097 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:17:00 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
Thank you so much. How long was your hiring process for that office? What kind of cases are seen there? You have been so helpful.

I did my application in Feb and started in August. My timeline is somewhere in this thread.

PSC is a relatively new center so currently we do not process all form types. But new forms are being added about every six months it seems.

The forms I have heard of being processed at PSC are I90s 601A C8 I751 and Im sure I am missing others.

Most people are cross trained on at the least 2 forms and you allocate your time for each one.
PrimaDawna  
#9098 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:28:08 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Thanks for sharing details and on your new position, PrimaDawna! I will be starting in a field office soon and I think they differ substantially in terms of telework opportunities for obvious reasons, but it is fun to learn about the Service Centers as well.

My EOD is in early December and I’ve been worried that somehow I’ll be at Basic in mid-April when I have a prior Friday/Saturday commitment, but from your comment it sounds like it could take a while longer than four months to get into a class. Thanks for mentioning that.

Yes, the field office does have different requirements because you see/interview people.
When you are in orientation and training you get to meet people who work different positions within immigration and some people love the field others do not.
Mike in VT  
#9099 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:54:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 67 post(s)

Yes, the field office does have different requirements because you see/interview people.
When you are in orientation and training you get to meet people who work different positions within immigration and some people love the field others do not.

At the VSC, you can telework 4 days a week, up to 3 or 4 hours away. Some positions do require working a 2nd day in the office.
PalmFronds  
#9100 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:14:15 AM(UTC)
PalmFronds

Thanks, PrimaDawna and Mike in VT. I spoke to a hiring manager prior to my TO who seemed to list the flexibility perks of both service centers and field offices together, but my research here has helped clarify some of the differences. I have read that I could possibly work a ten hour day four days a week since there aren’t interviews on Fridays, but I imagine you need to be there for a while before such flexibility is offered.

All will be revealed in time, I imagine. 😂
Rss Feed  Atom Feed