Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

466 Pages«<463464465466>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BryceWayne  
#9281 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2022 2:18:49 PM(UTC)
BryceWayne

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thatswhatshesaid Go to Quoted Post
I recieved the same onboarding button for this same job announcement on Aug 31. Its been there for nearly 4 weeks and I have not recieved a TO. I have tried reaching out to HROC a few times and each time is not helpful. Not sure what to make of it all :(

Are you prepared to move across the country? Although many jobs are telework, they do want employees to be within a certain distance of their "home" service centers. Also, you still have to pass Basic Academy. If you don't pass Basic, you might be given a lateral move, a demotion, or even separation.
BryceWayne  
#9282 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2022 10:10:02 AM(UTC)
BryceWayne

United States

Just an update, for the people who didn't pass Basic Academy at TSC, they're getting notifications that they're being separated. The agency announced Immigration Services Assistant (ISA) positions at the Dallas Field Office, but the ones who didn't pass Basic Academy still have to apply (no automatic conversion).

I also double checked the remote work policy -- if there's a chance that your job may require the handling of physical files, you need to live within a four-hour radius of your "home" office. So yeah, if you live in California and are waiting to hear back about the Potomac Service Center on the East Coast, just be sure you're willing to move within four hours of Washington, DC.
thanks 1 user thanked BryceWayne for this useful post.
Sajoma_Girl on 9/30/2022(UTC)
XFed77  
#9283 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2022 7:41:33 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 84 post(s)
I recieved the same onboarding button for this same job announcement on Aug 31. Its been there for nearly 4 weeks and I have not recieved a TO. I have tried reaching out to HROC a few times and each time is not helpful. Not sure what to make of it all :(

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

My Announcement#: PSC-2022-0025 Timeline:

09/16/2022 - "Onboarding" for PSC showed up on my Dashboard.
09/19 - Tentative Job Offer - Informed it's "Remote". Accepted.
09/21 - Contacted for EOD dates. Will start next month.

*** Already an ISO so did not have to wait for the Background Investigation, it can take a few weeks/months for new employees***

Good luck to all!

Hmmm... That is weird because I was offered a TO 3 days after the onboarding button appeared.

I haven't heard of anyone getting the onboarding button and not getting a TO.

Have you asked them if all selections have been made for this announcement?

Thatswhatshesaid  
#9284 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2022 12:46:36 PM(UTC)
Thatswhatshesaid

United States

*** Already an ISO so did not have to wait for the Background Investigation, it can take a few weeks/months for new employees***

Good luck to all!

Hmmm... That is weird because I was offered a TO 3 days after the onboarding button appeared.

Neither have I. Apparently they are waiting for final approval to issue a TO? I reached back out to ask if all selections have been made for this announcement. Just weird how some already have recieved their offer but not me so not sure if I'll get one.
Thatswhatshesaid  
#9285 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2022 12:52:51 PM(UTC)
Thatswhatshesaid

United States

Originally Posted by: BryceWayne Go to Quoted Post
Just an update, for the people who didn't pass Basic Academy at TSC, they're getting notifications that they're being separated. The agency announced Immigration Services Assistant (ISA) positions at the Dallas Field Office, but the ones who didn't pass Basic Academy still have to apply (no automatic conversion).

I also double checked the remote work policy -- if there's a chance that your job may require the handling of physical files, you need to live within a four-hour radius of your "home" office. So yeah, if you live in California and are waiting to hear back about the Potomac Service Center on the East Coast, just be sure you're willing to move within four hours of Washington, DC.

Thanks! Will they be hiring more ISOs for TSC now that they are letting those who didn't pass go?

Also, I thought PSC was 100% remote? I'm in CA and waiting to see if I get a TO from PSC. Is moving something they'd have to include if I get a TO letter?
XFed77  
#9286 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2022 2:52:42 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Good luck to all!

Neither have I. Apparently they are waiting for final approval to issue a TO? I reached back out to ask if all selections have been made for this announcement. Just weird how some already have recieved their offer but not me so not sure if I'll get one.

There were people who received Tentative Offers 3 to 4 weeks before I did. HROC had explained to me a few weeks back that this will be ongoing for a few weeks because they have a lot of positions to fill. Hopefully yours will come.
XFed77  
#9287 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2022 3:08:01 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Thanks! Will they be hiring more ISOs for TSC now that they are letting those who didn't pass go?

Also, I thought PSC was 100% remote? I'm in CA and waiting to see if I get a TO from PSC. Is moving something they'd have to include if I get a TO letter?

I live in Kansas, I accepted the TO and the Firm Offer from the PSC. From their first contact, they stated it's a Remote position, otherwise, I would not have accepted. Your POD is your residence. No moving involved, no physical files. It's all electronic.
Thatswhatshesaid  
#9288 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2022 3:59:24 PM(UTC)
Thatswhatshesaid

United States

Good luck to all!

There were people who received Tentative Offers 3 to 4 weeks before I did. HROC had explained to me a few weeks back that this will be ongoing for a few weeks because they have a lot of positions to fill. Hopefully yours will come.

Thank you! I will follow up here once I get an update.. fingers crossed for an offer soon
BryceWayne  
#9289 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2022 9:37:06 PM(UTC)
BryceWayne

United States

Replying to XFed77 and Thatswhatshesaid:

Our entire entering group (June 2022) thought that we would be working in the TSC M-F, 8 AM to 5 PM. On our first day, we took the oath of office, they gave us our computer hardware and PIV cards, then they told us to go home for telework. Telework policy requires employees to report to the "home" base at least twice per pay period, though this is currently suspended due to COVID.

During NEOP (new employee orientation), we learned that employees granted remote work privileges typically have to live within a 4-hour radius. Usually, only analysts and instructors can work entirely remote anywhere they want because they don't handle files submitted from the general public.

Even if PSC is indeed letting you work remotely, you still have to get your IT equipment and PIV cards (unless you're already a federal employee). You may want to ask PSC what exactly is expected of you, especially during the first two weeks of employment. Also, if you don't live in the same time zone as PSC, you're going to have to get used to waking up at 4, 5, or 6 in the morning so that you can attend training sessions scheduled for 8 AM East Coast time.

With regards to hiring more ISO1s at TSC, there will be a high degree of possibility since Dallas is hiring ISO2s. We'll need new ISO1s to replace people who get promoted.

Edited by user Sunday, October 2, 2022 9:23:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

XFed77  
#9290 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2022 7:33:03 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Replying to XFed77 and Thatswhatshesaid:

Our entire entering group (June 2022) thought that we would be working in the TSC M-F, 8 AM to 5 PM. On our first day, we took the oath of office, they gave us our computer hardware and PIV cards, then they told us to go home for telework. Telework policy requires employees to report to the "home" base at least twice per pay period, though this is currently suspended due to COVID.

During NEOP (new employee orientation), we learned that employees granted remote work privileges typically have to live within a 4-mile radius. Usually, only analysts and instructors can work entirely remote anywhere they want because they don't handle files submitted from the general public.

Even if PSC is indeed letting you work remotely, you still have to get your IT equipment and PIV cards (unless you're already a federal employee). You may want to ask PSC what exactly is expected of you, especially during the first two weeks of employment. Also, if you don't live in the same time zone as PSC, you're going to have to get used to waking up at 4, 5, or 6 in the morning so that you can attend training sessions scheduled for 8 AM East Coast time.

With regards to hiring more ISO1s at TSC, there will be a high degree of possibility since Dallas is hiring ISO2s. We'll need new ISO1s to replace people who get promoted.

BryceWayne

I'm currently an ISO, who came back to USCIS after working for another federal agency for a couple of years. I was an ISO before and worked at a Service Center.

Even though Service Centers are all under USCIS, they have different local policies; they're not a 100% copy of each other. I knew that before I left and experienced it when I returned to a different POD.

The statement you made on your last posting: "we learned that employees granted remote work privileges typically have to live within a 4-mile radius. Usually, only analysts and instructors can work entirely remote anywhere they want because they don't handle files submitted from the general public." might be true at the TSC but not for the PSC and other Service Centers at all, especially the "4-mile radius" which must be a typo because it's not realistic to expect employees to live within 4 miles from their POD. You also have to know this: Not all files are physical files. Many are scanned by contractors when received and will be processed & adjudicated electronically. This does not require the presence of an ISO in an office and some Service Centers have more electronic files than others. There are many ISOs who work remotely now for other Service Centers, it is not limited to analysts and instructors.

It also is not a fact that you have to move close to a POD to work remotely. That is one of the perks of working remotely, you don't have to come into the office or even live in the same state. You might be confusing Teleworking and working remotely. Again, it could be a TSC local policy but does not apply to other SCs.

It is true that if you are going to work for the PSC, they're on East Standard time and you have to adjust to that. I'm on Central Standard Time and there's only an hour difference and I like working earlier anyway. Each individual will make decisions as to this accordingly.

Lastly, I would advise not to reveal specific, internal information about your POD, or USCIS policies in general here. This is a Public Forum and we're federal employees that have to adhere to confidentiality and privacy. Believe it or not, this forum is reviewed by USCIS management at times.

I know you want to help others but we need to make sure that we state if the information we're putting out here is our opinion, our experience, or facts that can be verified since there are many applicants who can possibly use it as a factor in making decisions to accept/reject an offer, move, etc.

BryceWayne  
#9291 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2022 8:57:08 AM(UTC)
BryceWayne

United States

Yes, I meant 4-hour radius, not 4-mile. I have fixed my previous post.

I did not conflate telework and remote work. I even explained the difference (telework: report to "home" base 2 days per pay period; remote work: can work from anywhere, but a person may have to be able to return to "home" base on short notice depending on work requirements).

XFed, you have a bad habit of selective reading. I also wrote this: "You may want to ask PSC what exactly is expected of you..."

Also, everything I've posted is public knowledge.

https://federalnewsnetwo...virus-spread/?readmore=1

ISO2 openings in Irving, TX (MANY Vacancies).

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/680671800

Also, the IS Assistants being announced for several locations.

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/679621800

Heck, they even announced the Director of the California Service Center as open to the public.

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/680858700

Edited by user Sunday, October 2, 2022 7:07:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: combining posts

XFed77  
#9292 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2022 3:09:15 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Yes, I meant 4-hour radius, not 4-mile. I have fixed my previous post.

I did not conflate telework and remote work. I even explained the difference (telework: report to "home" base 2 days per pay period; remote work: can work from anywhere, but a person may have to be able to return to "home" base on short notice depending on work requirements).

XFed, you have a bad habit of selective reading. I also wrote this: "You may want to ask PSC what exactly is expected of you..."

Also, everything I've posted is public knowledge.

https://federalnewsnetwo...virus-spread/?readmore=1

ISO2 openings in Irving, TX (MANY Vacancies).

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/680671800

Also, the IS Assistants being announced for several locations.

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/679621800

Heck, they even announced the Director of the California Service Center as open to the public.

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/680858700

BryceWayne

Wow! Just Wow! Ha ha

It seems that being corrected hurt your Ego!

You've been coming back and editing your posts all day and then when you got to the point when you thought you fixed all your errors you say: "See, I made no errors, your wrong" Did you know that everytime you edit your posts everyone receives an email?

This is nonsense. Just move on.

BryceWayne  
#9293 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2022 5:16:22 AM(UTC)
BryceWayne

United States

XFed, I responded to you in good faith, but it looks like you want to play the "Gotcha!" troll.

Consider yourself Ignored.
XFed77  
#9294 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2022 8:45:14 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

XFed, I responded to you in good faith, but it looks like you want to play the "Gotcha!" troll.

Consider yourself Ignored.

Yes, move on, get a life, seek attention elsewhere.
txhorns2124  
#9295 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2022 11:17:24 AM(UTC)
txhorns2124

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I’ll go ahead and post my timeline for anyone wondering still for the ISO position.

(Direct Hire)
Applied 7/6
Announcement Closed 7/6
Reference contacted 7/19
TJO 7/29
OSI Contact (E-QIP) 8/5
Drug Test 8/9
Fingerprints 8/11
Re-do fingerprints 9/7
Background investigator reach out that they have been assigned my case 9/22
Background Interview 9/30
EOD Dates email 10/4
EOD 10/23

I’m 24, Current federal employee, and possess graduate and undergraduate degrees. Best of luck to y’all still in the process, there’s light in the end of the tunnel.
Sajoma_Girl  
#9296 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2022 5:48:57 PM(UTC)
Sajoma_Girl

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
That is awesome, thanks for sharing. Congrats.! Best of luck :)

Originally Posted by: txhorns2124 Go to Quoted Post
I’ll go ahead and post my timeline for anyone wondering still for the ISO position.

(Direct Hire)
Applied 7/6
Announcement Closed 7/6
Reference contacted 7/19
TJO 7/29
OSI Contact (E-QIP) 8/5
Drug Test 8/9
Fingerprints 8/11
Re-do fingerprints 9/7
Background investigator reach out that they have been assigned my case 9/22
Background Interview 9/30
EOD Dates email 10/4
EOD 10/23

I’m 24, Current federal employee, and possess graduate and undergraduate degrees. Best of luck to y’all still in the process, there’s light in the end of the tunnel.

BryceWayne  
#9297 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2022 12:44:21 PM(UTC)
BryceWayne

United States

Word of caution to anyone considering an ISO1 position that is advertised as "Remote". One of my colleagues is classified as a "Remote" (rather than Telework) employee. He just drove 3 hours each way to go to the office due to having to handle physical files.
GovEmployee  
#9298 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2022 10:01:52 PM(UTC)
GovEmployee

United States

Which service center?
randomazngeek  
#9299 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2022 12:22:07 AM(UTC)
randomazngeek

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I know how government hiring can be, but it is not helping with my anxiety. I'm hoping that I hear from CSC that I've been selected for ISO 2. After I took the written exam it has been radio silence. I also took the written exam for the LA City and SFV Field Office and I already completed my interview with LA City. Now my question is, should I be worried that they have not asked for my references? But the better question is how much longer until I'm selected for ISO 2?!?!?!?
BryceWayne  
#9300 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2022 3:05:21 PM(UTC)
BryceWayne

United States

Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
I know how government hiring can be, but it is not helping with my anxiety. I'm hoping that I hear from CSC that I've been selected for ISO 2. After I took the written exam it has been radio silence. I also took the written exam for the LA City and SFV Field Office and I already completed my interview with LA City. Now my question is, should I be worried that they have not asked for my references? But the better question is how much longer until I'm selected for ISO 2?!?!?!?

Not sure if you're already an ISO1 somewhere, but I think most people reading or posting in this thread are concerned about just starting their careers at all. ;)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed