Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NSPS - National Security Personnel System

NSPS is the Department of Defense's (DoD) flexible and responsive civilian management system that: (1) values performance and contribution, (2) encourages communication, (3) supports broader skill development, and (4) promotes excellence in the workplace

NSPS modernizes a 50-year-old civil service system, allowing DoD to better attract, recruit, retain, compensate, reward and manage employees. The system focuses on people, performance, and employment decisions that are cost-effective and best for business practice.

(source: Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service)

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NYLATIN  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 3:12:14 AM(UTC)
NYLATIN

Groups: Registered

I am asking for help in the situation I currently find myself in. I was a YA-2 2152 SERIES in March of 2009 I was REASSIGNED TO YC-2. I was given given a new salary which was an increase of get this $1.00 not a payperiod but for the full year. I was shown the paperwork after the fact to be given a 5% pay raise it however didn't show my Special Salary Rate which was 25% but going from YA to YC it is reduced to 19.01% that reduction however it is added on to your basic salary since you cannot lose pay. I have researched it over 2 years now documenting all the individuals I have spoken with along the way. Army G1 in Washington stated and wrote the way the formula should have been calculated and also that if it was Management's intent to give me 5% then it should be easily fixed. I forward this on to my department head, my base commander and also the Garrison Commander they all agree that it was calculated in the wrong order by personnel, and that it was not their intent for all a $1.00 pay raise it was for a 5% increase in total salary( I have this in writing!!) I then had a confrence call with all the parties involved, in the call Mgmt. stated that their intent was a 5% total salary increase and to pay me the money with backpay. Personnell stated they would get back to me with after they checked on how to correctly implement the change. After 2 months I received an email stating that since it was a mistake by management they cannot change the salary and this was what was written:

What I noted on the pay setting sheet is that management adjusted the base salary by 5%, so from a technical standpoint he did receive a 5% increase to base salary. However the TLMS decreased from 25% to 19.05% which caused a decrease in adjusted salary. This was an inherent problem with ATC's under NSPS which we all thought was addressed and corrected under the NDAA 2008. 

In addition there is a GAO, Office of Compliance decision that states "an increase in compensation resulting from the exercise of discretionary administrative authority is effective on the date the official approves the increase and is not retroactive. To interpret, if the 1st level supervisor exercised their discretion to set pay and did not fully understand the Garrison Commander's intent, does not provide a basis to retroactively adjust the administrative determination using current accurate information in the absence of documentation establishing with certainty the precise pay

action intended at the time the action was approved.

I know this was lenghty in nature and I am sorry but I just cant believe there is nothing that can be done and I an out over $17,000 in back pay and $6,500 in yearly salary.  AngryAngryAngry

Thank you 

NYLATIN  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:30:56 AM(UTC)
NYLATIN

I cant believe that out of all the knowledgeble people on this forum not one has any insight or can help.  Confused
Angel1955  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 12:07:07 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

My first thought you were military due to the YA - yet I see the series - confusng 
Angel1955  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 12:10:19 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

Fortunately we had another option at the time everyone was going to NSPS - from GS - thank heavens -
Sea Salt  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 1:36:46 AM(UTC)
Sea Salt

This sounds like a bad situation. I wish you the best.
engineer850  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 2:27:02 AM(UTC)
engineer850

It appears that your pay setting covering your transition from non-supervisory to supervisory did not follow the convention or intent of 5 CFR 9901.353. I would recommend you file a complaint in writing to your agency (Army or whomever), receive a formal reply to your dispute, then file a claim with OPM as per 5 CFR 178 if you do not receive a favorable reply from your agency. I would not suggest filing a claim through the MSPB as they do not handle technical issues of this nature very well.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed