Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrlewarcher  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 7:32:35 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

Groups: Registered

Hello all. I submitted an application for an Investigative Assistant 1802 position with OPM. I was told that the position will be doing searches at places like courthouses, police stations, banks etc in order to find info on people being investigated.Lots of records checking/research but no interviewing. What type of credentials will I be issued? ID card? Badge? I assume that places won't let just anyone search for info on people without proving who they are.
BackGdInvestigator  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 8:53:32 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

Investigative assistant sounds like the old record searcher title.

You will be issued the same credentials, ID, etc, as the regular investigator but will have limited access to PIPS.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
mrlewarcher  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 8:59:12 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

It's probably the same job. was that one an 1802 series?

So, I was told that they are filling a few spots in the same office and one is an "in office" position and the other is more of a "home office" type where you would get a car, laptop, home etc.

So, you say I would get credentials and ID? Is the ID a PIV card? Would I get an OPM badge (just not the Special Agent badge)?

mrlewarcher  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 9:10:04 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

mrlewarcher wrote:

So, I was told that they are filling a few spots in the same office and one is an "in office" position and the other is more of a "home office" type where you would get a car, laptop, home etc.

So, you say I would get credentials and ID? Is the ID a PIV card? Would I get an OPM badge (just not the Special Agent badge)?

I meant you would get a car, laptop and PHONE. Not a home. That would be nice, though:)
mrlewarcher  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 10:50:23 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

Oh, I forgot to ask...

Do you have to take and pass a pre-employment polygraph to become an OPM Investigative Assistant? It did not say anything abut it in the job ad so I would assume not.

Beagle  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:06:13 AM(UTC)
Beagle

mrlewarcher wrote:

Background Investigator aren't Special Agent AFAIK since they are not Criminal Investigator.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to get a badge. I got 4 IDs plus my Creds.  I keep most of them locked up at home.
mrlewarcher  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:08:58 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

I assume that OPM credentials would be enough proof to do a on sight records check.
Beagle  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:20:41 AM(UTC)
Beagle

When I was an assistant (another agency) I thought it would be cool.  Now that I'm in another position that has a badge (non LEO) I really careless for it.  It's all about the paycheck.

I would be surprised if you do get a badge.

mrlewarcher  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:26:12 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

I would be surprised too, actually. And yes it is all about the paycheck. That's why I hope to become a OPM Special Agent down the road. That and I actually enjoy personnel security.

I have looked around the net and I have come across two types of OPM badges; a speacial agent badge and another one. I thought perhaps that is the one they give to the IA's but, it's probubly the old SA badge.

Beagle  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:35:26 AM(UTC)
Beagle

mrlewarcher wrote:
I would be surprised too, actually. And yes it is all about the paycheck. That's why I hope to become a OPM Special Agent down the road. That and I actually enjoy personnel security.

I have looked around the net and I have come across two types of OPM badges; a speacial agent badge and another one. I thought perhaps that is the one they give to the IA's but, it's probubly the old SA badge.

If you plan on moving up in the government you should research your future jobs, I'm pretty sure OPM doesn't have Special Agent, I could be wrong.  But I don't see what crimes they could be investigating since they just forward that to the agency that does.
mrlewarcher  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:38:07 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

OPM call their Background Investigators "Special Agents". 
Beagle  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 11:52:11 AM(UTC)
Beagle

Yeah it does make sense now since I remember reading somewhere that they had a SAC.  I stand corrected.

Do a good job and you'll have no problem moving up.  Kissing doesn't work as well as doing a good job.
Beagle2011-03-28 22:11:24
Victorious1  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:43:10 PM(UTC)
Victorious1

I'm just curious...

1. Why is this posted in the Background Investigations section of this site?
2. There's an OPM Background Investigator post in the Federal Career Planning section of this site.
3. Why all the questions about having a badge vs. regular creds?
4.  PLEASE don't post names of databases used by the agency.  I really think that is too much information to post on a public forum. 
5. I work in a large OPM office, and none of our IA's have cars or go out of the office to do records checks.  However, I know that some offices have "Field IA's" that actually work outside the office at times getting records.  An IA position is an administrative one, but I do know of one IA who became a Background Investigator.  I suggest you read the job description thoroughly to find out if you'd be working in or out o the office.  Keep in mind that IA's are responsible for processing timesheets, and other admin tasks.
Beagle  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:52:10 PM(UTC)
Beagle

So Vic1 how's your new job?

Glad you finally got what you wanted.

mrlewarcher  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:26:52 AM(UTC)
mrlewarcher

Victorious1 wrote:
I'm just curious...

1. Why is this posted in the Background Investigations section of this site?
2. There's an OPM Background Investigator post in the Federal Career Planning section of this site.
3. Why all the questions about having a badge vs. regular creds?
4.  PLEASE don't post names of databases used by the agency.  I really think that is too much information to post on a public forum. 
5. I work in a large OPM office, and none of our IA's have cars or go out of the office to do records checks.  However, I know that some offices have "Field IA's" that actually work outside the office at times getting records.  An IA position is an administrative one, but I do know of one IA who became a Background Investigator.  I suggest you read the job description thoroughly to find out if you'd be working in or out o the office.  Keep in mind that IA's are responsible for processing timesheets, and other admin tasks.

1. I see that people have posted these types of questions in this section many times before so, I thought I would be ok.
2. yep
3.Just curious. I was wondering what type of ID was needed to do record searching in the field.
4.I agree.
5. The ad, like most Usajobs is mostly generic. I spoke with  afew people who works in the office and they informed me of the added info about the IA's job description ie "Filed IA", car, laptop etc.

BackGdInvestigator  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:34:32 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

Victorious1

The database used by OPM is not classified nor even sensitive. OPM has published the acronym and full title on the internet no less. (this does not even count the numerous OMB and other documents talking about the system).  Heck, the former DSS folks were blasting the system by name over job vent sites and any public forum they could find back in 2005.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Victorious1  
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:00:28 PM(UTC)
Victorious1

DSS is way before my day, so I don't anything about that.  What I said is just my opinion.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed