Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sisterwomen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:17:14 PM(UTC)
sisterwomen

Groups: Registered

If the gov is "shutdown" on May 1, will we get our monthly payment?
I'm guessing not.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:40:25 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
large discussion going on here
and no one seems to beable to answer the question.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
hlucki  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:43:49 PM(UTC)
hlucki

sisterwomen wrote:
If the gov is "shutdown" on May 1, will we get our monthly payment?
I'm guessing not.
I used to work in a Finance Office which processed payments.  It depends on who is classified as "Essential"  Usually they operate with a skeleton staff to do some processing.  Treasury will for the most continue to operate.  Also, from my past experience, any type of payment is scheduled about 3 days prior to the payment date.  So, if OPM schedules Annuity payments prior to May 1, chances are we'll see our payment.  If the shut-down drags on (which) I doubt) then we probably won't be paid. Retirement funds are not part of the budget, the people who process them are in the budget.  The money is there, someone just needs to process the payments.
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:28:47 AM(UTC)
postalvet

just heard on the news that if gov shut down social security checks will still go out.  I would then believe that our money will also go out.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
hlucki  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:40:59 AM(UTC)
hlucki

postalvet wrote:
just heard on the news that if gov shut down social security checks will still go out.  I would then believe that our money will also go out.
Right, as long as there are people there to get them out.  They can't go out by themself.
ibcingu  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:56:20 AM(UTC)
ibcingu

We'll get paid.  The staff who processes our annuity checks is no doubt considered "essential".   My take is, if the SS recipients are still getting paid, we will too.

hlucki  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:02:25 PM(UTC)
hlucki

ibcingu wrote:

We'll get paid.  The staff who processes our annuity checks is no doubt considered "essential".   My take is, if the SS recipients are still getting paid, we will too.

Let's hope so.  My experience during the last shutdown, was that we operated on a skeleton crew to process payments, which included payroll. With that said, I'd assume that's what many agencies will do, including SSN and OPM, if in fact there is a shutdown.  I saw where IRS is planning to stop process tax returns.  So, who know for sure what will happen.  We can speculate all we want, but until it does happen, we will never know for sure.
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:00:11 AM(UTC)
postalvet

postalvet wrote:
large discussion going on here
and no one seems to beable to answer the question.

that is why I posted this on that other forum;
So I am reading in the Sunday paper that the government has been shut down 6 times in 1977-1980, 9 times in 1981-1996.  with the most recent stretched from mid December 1995 until early January 1996, which was 21 days the longest in modern history.

who here was retired in 1995-1996 during that 21 day period?

did your retirement money get deposited on time?
simchief  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:58:28 AM(UTC)
simchief

Deputy Secretary of Defense William J. Lynn III Message to DOD Workforce on Potential Government Shutdown, this afternoon (7 April) stated: "Military retirees and annuitants are not paid from annually appropriated funds, and therefore their benefits should continue without interruption".
Let's hope that also applys to civil service retirees.
I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
kgkistari  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:40:12 AM(UTC)
kgkistari

According to Senator Jon Kyle's office, civil service retirement checks will NOT be processed during the shut down.
kgkistari  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:54:42 AM(UTC)
kgkistari

Okay, I just received a call from Senator Jon Kyle's office...they were wrong.  Current retirees WILL receive their retirement payments like normal.  And, the TSP will be operating like normal as well.
LinkC  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:54:28 AM(UTC)
LinkC

ibcingu wrote:

The staff who processes our annuity checks is no doubt considered "essential". 

Why do you say that?   The only shutdown I experienced, those who actually worked on ordnance for the fleet were "essential".  But the paper-pushers were not.  It didn't last long enough to make a huge difference, tho...

I think there's a LOT of doubt concerning those who process the payments...as well as those who work on finalizing our retirement apps.

LinkC2011-04-07 16:01:14
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" <br />--what Reagan REALLY said.
hlucki  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:39:48 AM(UTC)
hlucki

Frankly, I'd be bery surprised if the Gov't shuts down.  Neither side wants to end up with egg on their face, not to mention the current feelings the American people have for the Government now. I agree it's silly that they have not fully funded the Government by now, it's posturing. The government may not be fully funded again this time, but I'll be willing to bet they will get another CR through.
postalvet  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:36:47 AM(UTC)
postalvet

How a Government Shutdown May Affect Federal Retirees and Annuitants
April 7, 2011

The National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association (NARFE) posted a bulletin today on how a government shutdown may affect benefits for federal retirees and annuitants.

In part, the bulletin said:

"Judging from similar government shutdowns in the past, and the fact that OPM retirement operations are not funded through general revenues, retirees should expect to receive their annuity payments deposited into their accounts or received in the mail, on time as usual. OPM sends annuity payment tapes to the Department of Treasury in the middle of the month prior to the payment date so that Treasury has time to process the payment tapes/cut checks and ensure that annuity payments are received by the first of the month."
postalvet2011-04-07 18:43:49
RetiredFED-08  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:54:24 AM(UTC)
RetiredFED-08

I agree with the PostalVet....I don't think we need to worry about our May checks. I still think its a 50/50 chance of a shutdown. I heard they want a 1-week CR now????  If Congress comes up with a 1-week CR.....I am going to CANCEL all their step-raises for FAILURE TO PERFORM THEIR DUTIES, and place them ALL in Remedial Re-Training !!!!Wink
EWGuy  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 6:22:52 AM(UTC)
EWGuy

According to the OPM site retirement services will continue because funds come from Trust fund.  Since social security payments continue so will pension payments to federal and military retirees.  Here is link to OPM's guidance on their own shutdown plan: http://www.opm.gov/furlough/opm/breakdown.asp

hlucki  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 12:07:29 PM(UTC)
hlucki

Well, looks like some sort of deal has been agreed upon.  Now we wait for the next ound three of this boxing match.  It's a vicious circle we live.hlucki2011-04-08 20:30:26
RetiredFED-08  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:58:04 PM(UTC)
RetiredFED-08

Yes......Its a vicious "Boxing Match" this cutting the spending debacle......and the "Little Guy" is going to GET HIS LIGHTS PUNCHED OUT !!! In the meantime, Wall Street Executives and Big Bank CEO's will be cashing in their $20 million dollar bonus checks !!!!Wink
Rss Feed  Atom Feed