Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Reader67  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 4:17:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Question -- I am currently on a Competitive 1-year Temporary Promotion (not TEMP Appointment), which my agency will be directly converting to Permanent upon expiration of the Temporary Promotion. I guess this is typically how they promote to the working level. My question is: will this time spent on temporary promotion (without a time-break in grade) count towards my Time in Grade at the 'promoted' level?
mhc5096  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 8:50:40 PM(UTC)

Typically no. For example, you are a GS-11 who accepts a temporary promotion to GS-12 for a year+, you would not be eligible to apply for a GS-13 position. The time spent as a temporary GS-12 does not meet that requirement.
CIS 2008-Present<br />ICE 2007-2008<br />CBP 2003-2007<br />INS 2001-2003<br /><br />USAFR 2009-2011<br />VTANG 1995-2009<br />USNR 1989-1995
Reader67  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:02:07 PM(UTC)

mhc5096 -- In further investigation, found this response in the OPM FAQ 'Pay & Leave' Section @ opm.gov:

Q: "How is an employee’s pay set when a temporary promotion is made permanent?"

A: "When a temporary promotion is made permanent immediately after the temporary promotion ends, the employee is not returned to the lower grade in order to process the permanent promotion. See 5 CFR 531.214(e). The agency must convert the employee’s temporary promotion to a permanent promotion without a change in pay. The appropriate action is to process the promotion (nature of action code 702) showing the higher grade as the grade before and after promotion. (See rules 5 and 6, Table 14-B, chapter 14, of the Office of Personnel Management’s Guide to Processing Personnel Actions.) In effect, the promotion increase granted at the time of the temporary promotion is ratified and made permanent by the removal of the not-to-exceed limitation on the temporary promotion."

Based upon this response, specifically: "...the promotion increase granted at the time of the temporary promotion is ratified and made permanent by the removal of the not-to-exceed limitation on the temporary promotion." -- it would be my understanding that yes, indeed the time spent on temporary promotion would count.

Am I not reading this correctly? Thanks so much for your help.

baron90  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:26:53 PM(UTC)

time in grade in the temp promotion does indeed count towards meeting time in grade requirements.
Howie  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:05:57 AM(UTC)

What about time worked during a temporary appointment? Does that count towards TIG?
Communicator  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:04:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's all creditable time.  Just be sure it's documented to support your claim.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed