Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tx81  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 8:45:07 PM(UTC)
tx81

Groups: Registered

Good Morning,
I'm currently a GS-7, my division posted a vacancy for a 13/14 as a status and open to all us citizens. I got my NOR for the one open to all, scored super high... Searched all this morning but where could I find the reference that states a current fed can get hired and get bumped up to a higher grade under a open vacancy? Thanks
notw  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 10:32:26 PM(UTC)
notw

Does the announce ment have any requirement such as:
 "You must have been at the GS-13/14 level for 52 weeks. (time-in-grade requirement)"?
tx81  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 11:25:06 PM(UTC)
tx81

Thanks for the reply: 
Its doesn't read that way..

Its reads as the following:

You qualify at the GS-13 level if you possess one (1) year of experience that equipped you with the skills needed to perform the job duties: etc etc
and

You qualify at the GS-14 level if you possess one (1) year of experience that equipped you with the skills needed to perform the job duties: etc etc

I have experience (10yrs) doing this in previous jobs and stated in my resume that was submitted.

Based off that I was graded at a 105 for both grades on my NOR.

Has anyone made the leap before like this. My boss was unaware of this and seemed pretty excited about it. I just want to show him something from HR/OPM that this can be done.

Thanks
TheFrederalGovt  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:03:37 AM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

That is a GIGANTIC leap....more power to ya if you are able to pull it off.
Ryos  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:03:19 AM(UTC)
Ryos

While theoretically it can be done, my experience has been that even if you prove you've worked at a level that meets/exceeds a higher level of work, the GS system tends to keep you down if you don't meet TIG.  Especially when you're talking from GS-7 to 13.
M55  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:25:51 AM(UTC)
M55

tx81 wrote:
Good Morning,

I'm currently a GS-7, my division posted a vacancy for a 13/14 as a status and open to all us citizens. I got my NOR for the one open to all, scored super high... Searched all this morning but where could I find the reference that states a current fed can get hired and get bumped up to a higher grade under a open vacancy? Thanks

If you have experience in the military, then I would say yes. Federal hiring managers are looking for applicants with military experience. So yes, if you've served in the military then I could see you definitely making the jump.
tx81  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:23:34 AM(UTC)
tx81

Ryos wrote:
While theoretically it can be done, my experience has been that even if you prove you've worked at a level that meets/exceeds a higher level of work, the GS system tends to keep you down if you don't meet TIG.  Especially when you're talking from GS-7 to 13.

I agree with you, but im staying optimistic due to my boss being a GS-15/Director and also being the one that actually put in the need for vacancy, On top of that, once I showed him my scores and then showed him I have been referred, he was pretty excited about it knowing that i'm already carrying a 13/14 workload
tx812011-04-26 15:38:34
KeyLimePie  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:14:12 AM(UTC)
KeyLimePie

Yes, if you can show you have the specialized experience, you can be hired off of the open register if you are referred because time in grade doesn't apply to the external, open to the public recruitments.  However, I believe you may be placed back in career-conditional status and have to do a probationary period (not certain about this so don't take my word for it).

I'm probably one of the few people who sees merit in time-in-grade restrictions.  In the past I've been quickly promoted beyond my competency and it created a lot of stress and tension.  I'm not saying this doesn't happen under the GS system, but at least time-in-grade slows it down a little.  Sometimes you can look like a high performer when you are doing relatively routine work but after a little time, something out of the ordinary throws you off balance.  I'd much rather encounter those weird things while I'm strengthening my competency at the lower grade that have to deal with them while I'm still trying to justify a rapid promotion with my performance.

spence  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:49:19 PM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

The section of the CFR on coverage of time in grade restrictions includes an exception for being selected from an open, external, competitive announcement --

Excerpt from 5 CFR 300.603:

"
(b) Exclusions. The following actions may be taken without
regard to this subpart but must be consistent with all other applicable requirements, such as qualification standards:

(1) Appointment based on selection from a competitive examination register of eligibles or under a direct hire authority."

spence2011-04-27 02:56:41
tx81  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:01:32 AM(UTC)
tx81

spence wrote:

The section of the CFR on coverage of time in grade restrictions includes an exception for being selected from an open, external, competitive announcement --Excerpt from 5 CFR 300.603:"(b) Exclusions. The following actions may be taken without

regard to this subpart but must be consistent with all other applicable
requirements, such as qualification standards:

(1) Appointment based on selection from a competitive examination register of eligibles or under a direct hire authority."

Sweet! Thanks Spence!
Ryos  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:21:15 AM(UTC)
Ryos

KeyLimePie wrote:
I'm probably one of the few people who sees merit in time-in-grade restrictions.  In the past I've been quickly promoted beyond my competency and it created a lot of stress and tension.  I'm not saying this doesn't happen under the GS system, but at least time-in-grade slows it down a little.  Sometimes you can look like a high performer when you are doing relatively routine work but after a little time, something out of the ordinary throws you off balance.  I'd much rather encounter those weird things while I'm strengthening my competency at the lower grade that have to deal with them while I'm still trying to justify a rapid promotion with my performance.

It depends entirely on the person.  There are some folks who aren't ready for responsibility after decades of practice at lower levels, whereas some of the younger folks are kept in check when oftentimes the leaders are lacking in leadership.  And then of course there's DC, where any random GS-14 has probably been in the system for a year or two doing the same work that a GS-9 anywhere else would do...
spence  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:32:33 PM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

You're welcome, tx81, good luck!  Ryos, good points, but KeyLimePie, I am also supportive of time in grade restrictions, mainly because they help keep things more fair and not as open to nepotism or favoritism.
spence2011-04-29 00:38:57
Communicator  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 2:08:29 AM(UTC)
Communicator

I agree Ryos.  Good luck...and I hope you get it. 
tx81  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 1:58:58 AM(UTC)
tx81

hmm, just received a update email today resending the NOR's with the scores I've already seen with todays date...I'll you all posted..
tx81  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 8:49:50 PM(UTC)
tx81

Update: I have an interview for the position tomorrow Smile. Fingers crossed!
tx81  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:01:31 AM(UTC)
tx81

edited my post Since I'm pending Adjudication,  way too many views w/ no response.. Bottom line TIG was defeated. PM me if you want/ need advice, seems this forum has gone down the can since I last postedConfused.. oh well.

So with that said, Yes a current Fed can defeat Time in Grade!!! 3 STeps to do it:
1. Apply to vacancies that's Open to All
2. have specialized experience outside of your Fed time & Current Grade.
3. Perform 100% @ all times and network...

It can be done... Wink
tx812012-04-11 06:36:42
DHS HR  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:41:29 AM(UTC)
DHS HR

TIG wasn't defeated, it's just not a requirement in your particular case.

tx81  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:55:23 AM(UTC)
tx81

DHS HR wrote:

TIG wasn't defeated, it's just not a requirement in your particular case.

ok ok... bad choice of phrase on my end Sleepy.. it was more of the specialized experience hurdle.. By no means was it easy. tx812012-04-11 12:11:47
Fed1969  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:28:27 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Wish you the best. I assume you meet the qualifications of the position.  If you don't apply, they won't consider you.  
tx81  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:27:13 AM(UTC)
tx81

Fed1969 wrote:
Wish you the best. I assume you meet the qualifications of the position.  If you don't apply, they won't consider you.  

Thanks Fed!!, and you pretty much summed it up.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed