Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmmoJoe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:41:33 AM(UTC)
AmmoJoe

Groups: Registered

The theory behind BRAC is a noble undertaking. However the planning and funding of BRAC is/was to little to late.  They also made to many arbitrary decisions without consulting the proper authorities/experts.  For instance at my installation there is a museum that is part of the institution being BRACed.  That musuem was report to the BRAC commision as part of the institutions move.  Somewhere along the line it was decided the musuem which maintains historical property, key word PROPERTY, would move but there would be no funds for a facility.  Yes, the armed services don't build museums, but it already exists!  I was told "if it's moving to an installation with inadqate facilities one will be built".  The other part is that the savings gained from this law is so small and so far out in the future I wonder, "Is it really worth the cost in the long run?"  Never mind the fact that it's taking place during a massive recession.
keninaz  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 5:27:30 AM(UTC)
keninaz

BRAC is nothing  but a front for the politicians.
When congress cuts funds the military is told to come up with some cuts and base closures.
Then BRAC comes along and holds hearings and more or less tells you what you want to hear but the bottom line is if the military's decisions are sound it does not matter what reasoning anyone else has for keeping a base open.
Been there and done that in 1993.
Retired and staying that way
martyb  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:00:55 AM(UTC)
martyb

Same here in 95-96.
Forum trolls to 0%
Fed1969  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:36:37 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

BRAC is to close bases, but up front planning and costs needs to be improved.  As we have seen, the projected saving are generally there.

Politics is part of the BRAC process.  The real reason to close the base may not be discussed.

I would not be surprised more BRAC will be announced in the next few years.

Former_KAFB  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:49:18 PM(UTC)
Former_KAFB

martyb wrote:
Same here in 95-96.

DITTO  95-96 Kelly AFB, Tx.

Cool
Former_KAFB2012-03-14 06:55:51
grieveit  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:04:15 PM(UTC)
grieveit

Try 2001
Former_KAFB  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:36:12 PM(UTC)
Former_KAFB

grieveit wrote:
Try 2001

BRAC decision for Kelly AFB closure was in the 1995 round of base closures. I personally departed on reassignment/transfer in 1996.
Kelly AFB closed doors in 2001.

Cool
Former_KAFB2012-03-16 06:42:29
keninaz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:52:58 PM(UTC)
keninaz

Yes for most the date is closed is not as important as when the announcement hit that affected most of us.
I know in one case at Mare Island Naval Shipyard less than a week after the vote took place one employee went home and hung himself in his garage.
I took early retirement 3 weeks after the vote took place and my wife was out of work for a year.
Many lives change with a base closure.
Retired and staying that way
bozo  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:24:31 PM(UTC)
bozo

For all those claiming the political implications of a BRAC process, you hit the nail right on the head. Cost savings as a result of BRAC are almost negligiable, mainly because the money just gets reappropriated. It has more to do with who is in office, and who's not playing ball with the current adminsitration. Of course, bases cost loads of money to maintain--but in many cases, they generate just as much economic stability and growth as they require in tax expenditure. Realignment is one way to shave off the fat, but maintaining mission readiness. Im biased however--since I just like all the bases they seem to want to close (USAFE 91-95)...Angry
rabbitdog99  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:06:34 PM(UTC)
rabbitdog99

Once upon a time, a base near me was to close.  The politicians
got involved, the state had voted for the party that was in power when the
final decision was to be made, and the governor was in the same party as the president.   All the political tea leaves were aligned.   Suddenly the base was expanded instead of closed and everyone lived happily ever after.  It's all about politics.

grampi50  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:06:33 AM(UTC)
grampi50

What gets me is they claim all these base closures are to save the gov money, and yet they will continue to spend hunderds of billions every year providing services for illegal aliens. Bases are closed (sometimes even to the point of putting our national security at risk), ligitimate jobs are cut, and local surrounding economies are hurt by these closures, and yet our gov can give all sorts of free handouts to the illegals who choose to violate our nation's sovereignty...what's wrong with this picture?
nightstalker2  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:15:38 PM(UTC)
nightstalker2

you think that is something, you ever wonder why Cuba is always an ememy of the state. Is because the deal that was made for wet foot, dry foot. But then Cuba never bomb or try to undermine the us and take lives of our young men and women. But the deal is more than what people my think. Remember they are the only one that get this deal Haiti does not, other war torn area of the world does not. But if we make Cuba a friendly then we can make the people come and have the benefits of others like wait in line and deport them back home when they violate the laws.  because it is no longer a place to escape from for asylum here in America. Now if someone can make me understand otherwise I am willing to read and understand. 

nightstalker2  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:18:55 PM(UTC)
nightstalker2

wow, i see the rant I made and no one has the nerve to answer it wow. I can talk about the brac and what a crazy idea to do. But not as crazy as my rant amazing.

grampi50  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:14:17 AM(UTC)
grampi50

Just a guess, but maybe no one is answering because your post is non-coherant... grampi502012-07-24 11:19:56
nightstalker2  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:00:50 PM(UTC)
nightstalker2

things I do to get a conversation about the injustice of spending and the not thinking outside the box on the future use of these bases. which within our borders make more sense to reuse instead of mothball or dismantle

JDSIII  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 1:51:57 AM(UTC)
JDSIII

When do you guys think they will start closing more overseas bases?  I believe it'll start very soon, much easier target and elected officials won't care as much as their States aren't losing jobs.
grampi50  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 3:14:10 AM(UTC)
grampi50

Now that makes more sense...closing stateside bases makes no sense to me...
DOUGHBOZ  
#18 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:27:56 PM(UTC)
DOUGHBOZ

Donald Trump was 100% correct when he stated "if' elected President he would make foriegn countries pay for our military bases if they still needed our protection?   BRAC, all the bases in Europe and you will see some real "costs savings".  
Naval Station Naples (NSA), 3,000 employees, active duty miliatry, foriegn nationals (1,000) and family members, and "Zero" Naval Ships?????????? Who are they realy supporting???  This is the only NAVAL BASE with NO Naval Ships attached to it?? 
BRAC should start closures of every single non-essential U.S. Base overseas FIRST! Before putting Americans out of work here in the USA.  
We have created the worlds biggest "Welfare-Systems" overseas by allowing countries to charge the USA for protecting them.  Now wonder why each election year, there is a "black-out" on the subject of "FORIEGN AID" and the fleecing of AMERICA.

While we continue to find excuses for terminating good hard working Americans from the job, we still employ thousand of foriegn workers on these military installations overseas and we still find a way to pay each and every last one of the annual "Bonuses", even with our economy the way it is???

Bottom Line: You can BRAC up to 50% of those bases overseas and save the tax-payers "BILLIONS".
DOUGHBOZ  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:45:06 PM(UTC)
DOUGHBOZ

Asks the "Joint Cheifs of Staff".  We poor Americans are not smar enough to figure out "national interest" or "national security"?  Again, if anyone can tell me how much is ITALY charging the USA for rent on all of those bases?  Okay, i will tell you.  Around 40 million a month for only one base.  Do the math!
JDSIII  
#20 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 11:52:59 PM(UTC)
JDSIII

Exactly was I was thinking, I've been to a few of those bases, there simply isn't a valid reason for most of them to exist anymore. 

Rss Feed  Atom Feed