Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ulysses  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:03:05 AM(UTC)
Ulysses

Groups: Registered

I was contacted by a potential boss with NPS for a GS11 position. She asked me for permission to check my references and said she would get back to me pending the results of the reference check. Is this typical NPS procedure? If so, does anyone know why you would check references before an interview?

computerscott2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:28:03 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

Why waste time interviewing if I call their boss or former boss and they say "Yeah, they worked here.................long silence.................... Anything else I can help you with?"
That tells me that I don't want to interview that person. A 10 second phone call can eliminate an hour of interview time. That is why people check references.
troy12n  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:08:39 AM(UTC)
troy12n

computerscott2 wrote:
Why waste time interviewing if I call their boss or former boss and they say "Yeah, they worked here.................long silence.................... Anything else I can help you with?"
That tells me that I don't want to interview that person. A 10 second phone call can eliminate an hour of interview time. That is why people check references.

You are missing the point. You are not going to get much more out of a reference than that. Lots of liability for saying bad things... Really HR should be the only ones checking references, they know how to do it correctly.
titan2245  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:24:42 AM(UTC)
titan2245

computerscott2 wrote:
Most entities (that have any sort of IQ) will only verify dates of employment and nothing more, some wont even go that far.  Opens them up to litigation.

And going to court costs money regardless of wether they will win or not.

Besides, how do you know the company wasn't a complete CF?  Is a bad reference from a garbage organization a good or a bad thing?  I wouldn't be so starry eye'd when it comes to corporate America, they have just as many morons in management as anywhere else.  In my view, good reference, bad reference makes no difference since I don't know the person providing the reference.  I'd interview the person and make my own judgement.

A buddy just sent me an amusing job notice that a large grocery store chain is hiring cashiers - they require a skills test, a drug test and the applicant has to successfully complete 2 panel interviews before they talk to the selecting manager, oh yeah they have to have completed college courses. - The pay is $10 an hour lol. - BRILLIANT!!
titan22452011-04-28 15:52:25
The Recruiter  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:27:49 AM(UTC)
The Recruiter

I was hired by the federal government without having my references checked and without an interview. Everyone I know was hired without an interview. I think the federal government wants to get away from the interview process in general anyway. Its a big waste of time and resources.
WE NEED MORE VETERANS!
justhoping  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:49:46 AM(UTC)
justhoping

The recruiter are u a vet? That would explain the no interview or no reference check.
The Recruiter  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:22:27 AM(UTC)
The Recruiter

justhoping wrote:
The recruiter are u a vet? That would explain the no interview or no reference check.

I am a veteran, thank you very much justhoping. Are you just hoping to get a federal job, justhoping?
WE NEED MORE VETERANS!
martyb  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:32:55 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
LOL

Forum trolls to 0%
justhoping  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:35:51 AM(UTC)
justhoping

Well that explains the no interview and no reference check. You may want to state the facts as most of us here asking questions should deserve complete answers.
justhoping  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:39:19 AM(UTC)
justhoping

I mean I automatically knew why you didnt have to go through the scrutiny us outsiders and non vets have to go through just to be considered. Although we have no chance going in unless there are no vets on the list.

Im not mad at the process because I have to just accept the reality.
martyb  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:44:21 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Talking to oneself is a sure sign one's elevator isn't going quite all the way to the top floor...
martyb2011-04-29 04:33:07
Forum trolls to 0%
justhoping  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:49:12 AM(UTC)
justhoping

Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder if all of your posts have been so helpful.
boxkicker  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:02:24 PM(UTC)
boxkicker

The Recruiter wrote:

I am a veteran, thank you very much justhoping. Are you just hoping to get a federal job, justhoping?

Veteran of what?

How to create ficticious names and play pretend?
The Recruiter  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:28:12 PM(UTC)
The Recruiter

justhoping wrote:
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder if all of your posts have been so helpful.

Your welcome!!
WE NEED MORE VETERANS!
The Recruiter  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:29:28 PM(UTC)
The Recruiter

justhoping wrote:
Well that explains the no interview and no reference check. You may want to state the facts as most of us here asking questions should deserve complete answers.

I did. I am a veteran. What more would you like to know besides my references were not contacted and I had no interview before I was hired?
WE NEED MORE VETERANS!
The Recruiter  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:32:38 PM(UTC)
The Recruiter

justhoping wrote:
I mean I automatically knew why you didnt have to go through the scrutiny us outsiders and non vets have to go through just to be considered. Although we have no chance going in unless there are no vets on the list.

Im not mad at the process because I have to just accept the reality.

Veterans have earned the right not to go through the same scrutiny. We are better qualified. You shouldn't have any chance going in if a veteran is on the list. Guess you are gonna have to accept that reality.
WE NEED MORE VETERANS!
boxkicker  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:34:18 PM(UTC)
boxkicker

The Recruiter wrote:

Your welcome!!

Dang...you should get your money back for that PHD!
boxkicker  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:35:20 PM(UTC)
boxkicker

The Recruiter wrote:

I did. I am a veteran. What more would you like to know besides my references were not contacted and I had no interview before I was hired?

What agency do you work for?

The Recruiter  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:47:04 PM(UTC)
The Recruiter

boxkicker wrote:

The Recruiter wrote:
What agency do you work for?

USACE
WE NEED MORE VETERANS!
FedDude  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:12:03 PM(UTC)
FedDude

When I was hired, I was up against 184 other people. Many VETs.

I'm a non-Vet, Caucasian male with no disabilities and was hired.

In addition, that was after only applying to three jobs and going to two interviews.

You CAN get a federal job even if you're not a VET. You just need the right skills and/or education.

If you're looking for a federal job that demands a certain skill, education or background like IT, engineering, attorney, scientist, etc. you should have no trouble going up against VETs.

If you're applying to be an assistant, etc. you will be going up against many VETs and they will probably beat you out.

FedDude2011-04-29 07:19:11
Rss Feed  Atom Feed