Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hadenough  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 8:27:22 AM(UTC)
hadenough

Groups: Registered

I hope someone with knowledge can shed some light on my question. I was a NRP victim from the Postal Service. I was approved for disability retirement in 7/10. In March 2011 I was returned to work at the PO because of an arbitration decision. The PO has told me that they are more than likely going to NRP me again. My question is am I kicked off of retirement because I returned to work and therefore have to reapply for disability retirement OR Am I still retired and this is my second income job and since its only going to last a few more weeks ?? I can still collect both right? As long as I don't earn more than 80%?  Any help would be appreciated.
oktoots  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 9:31:05 AM(UTC)
oktoots

The thing is, you returned to the same job (or an accommodation) that you could not do that got you approved for DR. Although you are permitted to work at a job and earn up to 80% of your former salary, it can't be the same job because OPM might consider you recovered
and will stop your benefits. 

It's a dicey situation even though the work will last only a few weeks and you accepted the DR. Maybe the best thing to do would be to call OPM and just ask them. 
oktoots2011-05-02 17:37:47
multiple identities to 0%
hadenough  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:31:44 AM(UTC)
hadenough

That is what I did this morning.  The lady couldn't help me so she sent it to her supervisor. She should respond within a couple of days. The sticking point as I see it is that I returned to the "job" however the position no longer exists. I have been sitting in the "blue" room again. So I haven't "technically" been doing the same job. There is no job. What do ya think?
oktoots  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:31:00 AM(UTC)
oktoots

This is something you should tell OPM and perhaps get it in writing somehow that you are not actually "working" but are on some kind of standby. You don't want this technicality to ruin you DR benefit. Kind of makes you reconsider your decision after arbitration to go ahead and go back to the PO after being approved for DR.Confused
multiple identities to 0%
Retired45  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:35:38 AM(UTC)
Retired45

oktoots wrote:
The thing is, you returned to the same job (or an accommodation) that you could not do that got you approved for DR. Although you are permitted to work at a job and earn up to 80% of your former salary, it can't be the same job because OPM might consider you recovered
and will stop your benefits. 

It's a dicey situation even though the work will last only a few weeks and you accepted the DR. Maybe the best thing to do would be to call OPM and just ask them. 

To anyone that can help.
I used to be a Window Clerk for the postal service until my disability retirement . Being that my former job was customer serviced related , am I able to take another job as a customer service rep? or let's say , can I take a job that's totally different such as baggage handler even though its manual labor and the same requirements as far a s lifting like the job requirement for the post office.
swimmingly  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:14:03 PM(UTC)
swimmingly

so what happen???
Rss Feed  Atom Feed