Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meriwthrpostpavi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:43:50 AM(UTC)
meriwthrpostpavi

Groups: Registered

Would a credit score of 604 bar a person from having a moderate risk-public trust position (RVSR at Department of Veterans Affairs) ?

How much does a person's credit history have to do with the background investigation. I was already selected for the position, and now a higher level investigation is required, involving the fair credit reporting act.

elcid89  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:22:33 AM(UTC)
elcid89

They do not work off of credit scores. They work off of delinquencies and whether or not you have declared bankruptcy.

On your SF-85p, which you will have to fill out for the background investigation, you will have to list all of your accounts that are CURRENTLY more than 180 days past due and whether you or a company over which you exercised control has declared bankruptcy in the previous 7 years.

It has a lot to do with the BI. Credit problems are one of the leading causes for denial. That said, every agency has somewhat different adjudication guidelines, and it depends on the position as well as to what degree blemished credit plays a role. For example, an accountant with bad credit is going to have a much more difficult time than a janitor, because one deals with money and the other doesn't.

The steps, if any, that you have taken to address the problems (counseling, repayment plans, how recent the problems are and how clean your financial picture has been since they occurred, etc.) are all potentially mitigating factors.

The absolute worst thing you can do is not list a delinquent account or lie about having filed BK. They WILL find out about it and what chance you did have will go down the toilet. If the questions apply to you, answer them concisely and completely.

You will most likely have to fill out the form online on E-QIP, but you can go here to get an idea of what questions will be asked:

http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF85P.pdf

Also, this question has been answered many times in the past. I encourage, as always, folks to use the search function before reinventing the wheel.
elcid892011-05-10 12:38:49
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
jkids210  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:33:09 PM(UTC)
jkids210

How do you know if a position you applied for is a "public trust" position? Is it listed on the job vacancy, do they tell you when you get the TO, or let you know when you get the firm offer, or maybe the day you start work?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ <br />Thomas A. Edison
elcid89  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:18:04 PM(UTC)
elcid89

jkids210 wrote:
How do you know if a position you applied for is a "public trust" position? Is it listed on the job vacancy, do they tell you when you get the TO, or let you know when you get the firm offer, or maybe the day you start work?

Sometimes they tell you. You can usually deduce what sort of position it is by the BI form you are directed to fill out.
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
meriwthrpostpavi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:16:01 PM(UTC)
meriwthrpostpavi

The job announcement indicates what level of security risk the position is.

So would a medical bill sent to collections (and paid in full) and a voluntary repossession years ago mean that a moderate risk position would be a no go?

The wording of "CURRENTLY delinquent" accounts is confusing. The above don't apply, correct? I mean, the only accounts with late payments were years ago, and my current open accounts are in good standing.

Thanks for your help. Sorry for being repetitive.
meriwthrpostpavi  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:17:35 PM(UTC)
meriwthrpostpavi

So far, I have only had to submit a form that authorizes VA to obtain my credit information, and I was fingerprinted. No form SF-85p yet.
elcid89  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:34:00 PM(UTC)
elcid89

meriwthrpostpavi wrote:
The job announcement indicates what level of security risk the position is.

Sometimes ... Big smile

So would a medical bill sent to collections (and paid in full) and a voluntary repossession years ago mean that a moderate risk position would be a no go?

Medical bill - no. It's paid. How long ago was the repossession and what did you do to address any remaining balance (assuming there was one)?

The wording of "CURRENTLY delinquent" accounts is confusing. The above don't apply, correct? I mean, the only accounts with late payments were years ago, and my current open accounts are in good standing.

How is it confusing? Accounts for which you currently owe money that are 180 or more days past due. Bottom line - if it shows up on your credit report with a balance owing and it's 180 or more days past due, then it's a problem.

Note that a charged off account that got picked up by a debt collector counts. It might have a zero balance with the original creditor, but it'll have a balance owing with the collector. ANYTHING on your credit report with a balance due needs to be examined. Report ANYTHING on your credit report with a balance owing that is more than 180 days past due. 

Thanks for your help. Sorry for being repetitive.

No problem. We've all been through it too. Note that they aren't looking for angels - they're looking for honest and responsible people. People get into debt. It happens. What they're evaluated on is how they respond to it - did they make an effort to fix it or did they just ignore it and walk away.

The best advice I can give you is to pull your current credit report, from all three bureaus, and go over them with a fine toothed comb. Dispute any inaccuracies, and list any legitimate problems that meet the criteria of the question on the SF-85p.
elcid892011-05-11 20:40:45
elcid89  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:40:40 PM(UTC)
elcid89

meriwthrpostpavi wrote:
So far, I have only had to submit a form that authorizes VA to obtain my credit information, and I was fingerprinted. No form SF-85p yet.

No idea. The Army made me submit an OF-306 and fingerprints. The next step after that was filling out my SF-85p.

I imagine that the VA folks are pulling your credit and running your fingerprints for an initial suitability determination. Based on the outcome of that, they'll either withdraw the offer or direct you to fill out your SF-85p on E-QIP. You should have been contacted by their security POC to instigate the credit and fingerprints. Touch base with him/her on a regular basis. They can tell you exactly where the process is at.

meriwthrpostpavi  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:54:13 PM(UTC)
meriwthrpostpavi

It just makes me nervous to know that they could withdraw my promotion without interviewing me if anything does come up; namely my financial problems during college. Currently, though, everything is being paid on time and no accounts are past due, thanks to my federal employment. My financial issues occurred during one time period as a poor college sob, three years ago. Maybe it will be okay.  Fingers crossed.  

Thanks for your words.
elcid89  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:06:47 PM(UTC)
elcid89

meriwthrpostpavi wrote:
It just makes me nervous to know that they could withdraw my promotion without interviewing me if anything does come up; namely my financial problems during college. Currently, though, everything is being paid on time and no accounts are past due, thanks to my federal employment. My financial issues occurred during one time period as a poor college sob, three years ago. Maybe it will be okay.  Fingers crossed.  

Thanks for your words.

For a public trust position, if you aren't currently past due on anything more than 180 days, you shouldn't have any concerns about credit causing you any difficulties. If you're asked about it, be honest. "I screwed up, it isn't the norm for me and I worked my ass off fixing it."
PMmgr  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:59:31 AM(UTC)
PMmgr

elcid89,

Did you fill out the 85P prior to your EOD or after? Is this your first federal job since leaving the military?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed