Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nippon  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:02:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a career ladder position and a position that has promotion potential. For example I know that a vacancy that states 5-7-9 means that the position can be filled at any grade and if you start at a lower grade you can be noncompetitively promoted. But if the position states 5 with promotion potential of 9 will you still be noncompetitvely promoted the same as a career ladder?
Earl  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:06:23 PM(UTC)
Eddoyle82

Neither is a guarantee of promotion, but both have the ability to move you up. The big difference is that career ladder is generally a safe bet as it is used to hire people at entry level and get them to the full performance level. Promotion potential menas that there are people at that grade doing this job and that you would have a chance to compete for those positions against your peers whin the Time in grade requirement is up.
Simply put, career ladder good, Promotion potential not as good
"If the Devil knocks on enough doors, someone will invite him in for tea."
Nippon  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:21:15 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the clarification.
FedHopeful11  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:25:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, I disagree a bit.

They are defining two different things. A career ladder is a position that has a higher promotion potential than the grade you are being hired into, for example, a ladder of 5/7/9/11/12. The promotion potential is the highest possible non-competitive promotion, or 12 in the previous example. I have never seen positions with promotion potential listed that was actually competitive. The non-competitive promotions are never guaranteed though, you must perform to a certain level before being promoted, but you do not have to actually compete via merit promotion announcements.
Earl  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:02:56 PM(UTC)
Eddoyle82

I have worked in the VA as a VSR and even though the announcement had us career ladder to the GS-11 it had promotion potential to the GS-13 but believe me there were a lot of 11's and only a couple of 13's. Some positions do have a promotion potential non compete to a higher grade if you meet quals at the end of the specified time but they will normally say that in the announcement.
"If the Devil knocks on enough doors, someone will invite him in for tea."
KeyLimePie  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 6:53:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
They are very similar in that you can be non-competitively appointed to the higher grade as your work increases in complexity, difficulty and responsibility levels.  However, career ladders appear to me to be found more often in structured developmental programs that often have formalized training plans.
Scott Dickinson  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:50:14 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Any job that you can climb higher without having to apply for it (through USAJOBS or the agencies HR dept, not including a formal/informal promotion package you might have to submit) is considered a career ladder position. Any job that (according to your SF-52) has promotion potential is considered a career ladder. Any job, that on your SF-52 lists the position as being at the FPL (or full performance level), is not a career ladder and also has no Known Promotion Potential (KPP, another useful acronym to know for fed job purposes). There are different jobs that hire in different ways. Some jobs, in a 5/7/9/11/12 can hire you at any of the grades (depending on the agency's budget and current staffing levels) and some will start you out only at one or two of the bottom entry levels. Starting employees out at the bottom level is a good idea if the agency has a nearly full staff at the more experienced levels or their budget is tight. Also most interns/FCIP/SCEP/etc come in at the bottom levels so they can gain experience as they mature throughout the progression. I have held both career ladder and non-career ladder positions and the FPL was always listed on my SF-52. There are also other positions where you have an *expectation* of getting the higher grade, it is not listed on your SF-52, and you have to "compete" for your promotion through USAJOBS.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed