Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HHS

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Source: www.hhs.gov/about/

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
newmannewer  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:34:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I see a number of positions advertised under both merit promotion and delegated examining.

I know that they are likely advertised under DE as an ongoing HR policy. I also know that people outside the agency are more than likely not going to be picked for these because they usually select some in the agency from the merit promotion cert.

How do you know if a position is truly for people outside the agency?

Obviously if it is advertised only under delegated examining that is a give away, but are there any other ways you can know. Would the GS level be an indicator?

I see lots of GS 15 advertised outside agency but those often go to people in the agencies.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
elcid89  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:53:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Under the "Who May Apply" section of the listing, it tells you in no uncertain terms who is eligible to apply for the listing.

As a general rule, merit promotion positions are internal listings. Folks who aren't already federal employees or who don't fall under one of the enabling authorities (ITCAP, VEOA, etc.) are ineligible to be considered under them. Some merit promotion listings go further and limit applicants to only current employees of the agency doing the hiring. 

DEU positions are external listings. Typically anyone can apply to them.

You're correct that a good deal of the hiring we're seeing is coming off of internal announcements, but apply to everything you're qualified for and able to apply to anyway. The only sure way not to get the job is never to apply for it.

When you do your job search on USAJOBS, you should see a question at the bottom that asks you whether you meet certain criteria relevant to being considered a status (internal) candidate. If you answer that question no, USAJOBS will only (or is supposed to only) show you external positions that are open to everybody.

elcid892011-05-16 18:59:53
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed