Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Southernclerk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:06:13 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Groups: Registered

The Postmasters Organizations have filed a formal complaint with the PRC regarding the recent change requested in the Federal Registry.

What is being said is that this would be an eliminatin of rural offices.  What is not being said in public is that it would eliminate the need for a Postmaster in smaller offices. 

"the decision by the Postal Service to „create branches out of many post offices close to large cities‟ and thus „transfer a community oriented post office into one administered through the instructions and directives of large city postmasters with little or no community involvement.‟

This is your L7 clerks running small offices with a hub Postmaster.  The APWU agreement provides for this.

This is how NAPUS and the League feel about clerks.
"The individuals who would replace Postmasters do not have the requisite skills, training, or the appropriate experience and directives to manage postal operations or conduct appropriate community relations. Postmasters in adjoining Post Offices would need to try supervise the newly created stations and branches and their relations with their communities, thereby placing extraordinary operational pressures on their own Post Offices. In addition, such management and supervision could jeopardize compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act."

I can't say how UNTRUE this above paragraph is.  It hit a nerve.  I work in a L18 office with a revolving door for Postmasters.  Not one Postmaster or OIC has performed their duties the same through these years.  Compliance? is "stay off the list" mentality most of the time.  Out of 13 years, we've had 14 PM/OIC's.
Guess who runs the office when PM is not around?  Guess who does the reports when a new OIC hasn't a clue.
Guess who lives in the community and "conducts community relations"?  Guess who makes sure when I run the window and when I close outs that we conform to SOX?

I don't wish anyone to lose their job, but geez, it has never made sense to pay the PM/OIC to work the window at the salary they make when a clerk can perform the same exact duties. 

Gshepdog  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:32:46 AM(UTC)
Gshepdog

Most Postmaster's know exactly what this means--musical chairs for a few available seats.  Most of these small offices are losing money, and are overdue to be closed.  I have to laugh when I hear about training for the Postmaster's duties in there small office--they run themselves with a few good clerks, at a much more affordable payroll.  Look where the managers end up after being furloughed...often in a company mailroom, starting at the bottom...
Southernclerk  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:11:53 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Everytime I read about an office being closed I check on USPS sites location finder.  They provide all the other PO's in general area.  The offices being closed are not necessarily not money makers as much as they have several other offices within 3 to 5 miles from one another.  No wonder they are not making money, their competition is another Post Office???

Again, I hate seeing anyone lose their job but even in some of the closings they still have an excessive amount of PO's in one area . . . even after announcing they are closing one office.

These coming years are going to be bumpy.
eightup  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:21:14 AM(UTC)
eightup

I totally agreed, I have 4 post offices near my house in 2 miles radius.

oldfool  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:16:02 AM(UTC)
oldfool

NAPUS statement should have said "Postmasters do not have the requisite skills, training, or the appropriate experience and directives to manage postal operations or to conduct appropriate community relations".  At least none of mine.

boliver  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:29:30 AM(UTC)
boliver

You're right, old fool.  My postmaster was "never available" when there was a customer complaint. I hate the fact that I covered for him so many times. "Community relations" for him was visiting the barber shop, stores and restaurants daily.  I can honestly say that all the clerks had a much better work ethic and attitude toward customers than he.  We are in a company that serves the public and craft employees seem to be the only ones who know this.  Donahoe can say the words, Customer Service, but he does not, for a minute, know what that means.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:27:43 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

what other company has an association for its managers?
the post office has several;
NAPUS national association of postmasters of the US
NLP national league of postmasters
NAPS national association of supervisors

these organizations are just trying to save themselfs.  they are not needed and it is time for them to go!

postalvet2011-05-25 08:07:01
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
boliver  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:59:40 PM(UTC)
boliver

I'll drink to that!!!
lindalu55  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:26:07 AM(UTC)
lindalu55

The job of the union or association is to look out for the interest of its members, craft or management.  If it does not, why would you join and pay dues? 
Southernclerk  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:08:32 PM(UTC)
Southernclerk

"The job of the union or association is to look out for the interest of its members, craft or management.  If it does not, why would you join and pay dues?"

Unions, associations have a symbiotic relationship with their members.
Membership appreciates the united front, one voice in representation and the Union or Association enjoys being the voice and $$$'s.

Have you not recognized that there is a conflict of interest in this, particularly the larger the representation?  What is good for the union, is not always good for all members.  Example in this contract and past contracts in regard to PTF's in small offices.  As long as I can remember the PTF's in small offices have not benefited from past contracts as others in same classification.
200manhours had their PTF's converted to full time years ago - small office PTF's felt a cut in hours.

Now this contract, PTF's in small offices have great possibility to finally have a guarantee of 30 hours, not the 2 a week that has loomed over them all these years.  And understandably the FT clerks are concerned they will eventually lose hours.

You can't negotiate a contract that fits all members.

Same with NAPUS or the League.  In the same breathe they represent Postmasters and PMR's.
Wow, both do the same work and what a difference in salaries.  And guess who gets the true representation when they speak with the PMG?

So why join? why pay dues?  Because somewhere in the mix of things, you hope you will benefit more then if you were not represented. 

For the Postmasters representation, I'd say they haven't done much for them in a good while.  I've read about them appealing this or lobbying that but in the end they've not provided much benefit for their membership. 

And don't be fooled, the union wants their cut too.  APWU just loaded up their membership potential in this new contract big time.  The Unions and the Associations are an entity in themselves and wish to survive also but they need members.

But I digress . . . Unions and Associations don't always have their members interest  as much as they have for their own survival.
AEA2001  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 3:35:11 AM(UTC)
AEA2001

I'm a PMR in a level 11 office, I've been working as an OIC here for 3 years (6 day a week, 43 hours a week).  Recently my husband lost his job and we need health insurance.  I am only eligible as a      "Certain Temporary Employee".  I have to pay the total costs.  It's pretty sad when you work full-time plus and take home less than $500.00 a month after insurance premiums and taxes. 
Cdog911  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 10:38:53 AM(UTC)
Cdog911

About a year ago, our PM was telling us of some of the changes he saw coming and asked us for our input, asking us to think of this as if we were running our own business. We are a community of 8,000 people with four small towns (<1200 people each) within 8 miles, and each has its own PO and PM. I understand the importance of these communities retaining their own PO,s but I suggested to the boss that they eliminate each of those Postmasters positions and restructure the operations in each office to have the clerk on duty fwd all the numbers from their volumes  to our OIC, using our office as a hub, and then, once asembled, our OIC would then send those number with ours higher up. In fact, our maintenance man/ janitor could also be sent to each of those offices for a half-day each week to do what he does, and in doing so, eliminate about $350-400,000 in unnecessary expeces each year paying someone to sit around for six hours a day. That only covers about a third of our county and the savings nationwide of consolidating things like this, but still leaving offices open, would be profound. Losing dead weight.
lindalu55  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:01:02 AM(UTC)
lindalu55

If you really want to save money on small post offices, close them.  Have mail delivered by highway contract carriers.  Have contract post offices in a local business to sell postal products.  This would save alot of money, but cost many people their jobs.  The increased savings could go to increase EAS salary increases.  The post office would love to put this plan into action.
Southernclerk  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:37:36 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Oddly enough, contract offices are not always cost effective.  And there is a recent list of contract offices that they are closing.
USPS is revamping contract offices also.

But ultimately, everything you have said will most likely occur in the future as if they get their way with this recent change in their Consolidation efforts many Post Offices will be recatagorized as Retails outlets and would also lighten up the ability to close outlet and/or contract out.

They have a new mapping system for the public to locate nearest postal products.  You punch in your zip code and it will pull up a map of your area and little icons telling what business sells stamps or provides Postal products and of yeah, where the Post Office is located to.
In our area 50 mile radius it is amazing how many are listed that sell stamps and how few icons are Post offices.

RAPUNZEL  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:46:41 AM(UTC)
RAPUNZEL

IMHO, we should follow more of UPS's business tactics....they are located inside staples stores....they have no building costs, and the booth is maned by staples employees....there fore the only cost is the training time (which I am sure they do)....UPS has slowly faized(sp?) their stand alone retail stores in small communities....and as much as I hate to say it, they do not do saturday delivery, unless paid extremely high prices to do so....and when their drivers come in, a less paid person organizes the truck...loads all the parcels in route order, the higher paid driver clocks in and spends the day on street..... Not really what I want to see in our jobs, but I am afraid we will be going down that path ...unless when the NALC contract comes around , the union stays strong and does not allow the amount of changes to staffing and the life we know and love as city carriers....  just sayin"
Southernclerk  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:15:38 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

We're already doing what you are stating about UPS business tactics???
We have USPS products in Office Depots. We have areas where the mail is cased prior to the carrier coming in. Carrier delivers mail doesn't case mail.
RAPUNZEL  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:03:35 AM(UTC)
RAPUNZEL

do they take packages and ship and receive packages for people??? that is what UPS is doing....
postalvet  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:40:27 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

RAPUNZEL wrote:
do they take packages and ship and receive packages for people??? that is what UPS is doing....

they take packages, but they try to have you send them fedx or ups.  I sent a package through a pakmail place they showed the prices of priority mail and not parcel post, so fedx and ups were cheeper.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
dhacker56  
#19 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:43:07 PM(UTC)
dhacker56

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Southernclerk wrote:
We're already doing what you are stating about UPS business tactics???
We have USPS products in Office Depots. We have areas where the mail is cased prior to the carrier coming in. Carrier delivers mail doesn't case mail.

Who cases the mail in these locales?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed