Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FSUGuy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:31:46 AM(UTC)
FSUGuy

Groups: Registered

Say an opportunity comes up to work part-time working for a private engineering firm while currently being a full-time federal employee?

Obviously there would have to be full disclosure, and the line of work would have to be in separate fields so professional contacts would never cross. But before I get laughed at by asking my supervisor, what's the opinion of FedSoup?

The more I think about it, the more I believe this to be a bad idea. Nevertheless, I'll post the question.
From November 2010 to February 2011: 120 applications, 4 interviews, 2 job offers. Selected dream job. EOD: April, 2011 Promoted: May 2012.
martyb  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:39:08 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Many feds I've known over my 34 yr career worked 2nd jobs, some owned & ran their own businesses.  Personally, I've had a couple of part-time jobs plus got my license & worked as a realtor for 5 years.  Not a big deal, unless you're doing something that would conflict with your image as a fed employee in public.

Forum trolls to 0%
dhacker56  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:40:02 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

As long as it did not conflict with your FED job in scope or hours what's the beef?

FSUGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:54:29 AM(UTC)
FSUGuy

Thanks for the input. 

From November 2010 to February 2011: 120 applications, 4 interviews, 2 job offers. Selected dream job. EOD: April, 2011 Promoted: May 2012.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:33:41 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ensure you fill in the proper paperwork for approval to avoid giving management an excuse to take action though!
FSUGuy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:35:13 AM(UTC)
FSUGuy

frankgonzalez wrote:
Ensure you fill in the proper paperwork for approval to avoid giving management an excuse to take action though!

Yes, this will be key. Can this paperwork be found online?
Ryos  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:53:04 PM(UTC)
Ryos

FSUGuy wrote:
frankgonzalez wrote:

Yes, this will be key. Can this paperwork be found online?
Agencies have different rules/requirements so your best bet would be to ask your supervisor/HR.  I know in the AF we can hold a second job, but there's a particular form that must be signed by the supervisor.  Even if you THINK you might get a second job but don't have it yet, you must get the form filled out.  Again, different agencies have different requirements.

Ryos2011-05-25 06:10:13
martyb  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:56:23 PM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Way back in my earliest days of working for the Air Force (1981) there was mention of such a form that needed to be filled out.  But...in the last 30+ years, up until I left the AF for another agency in 2008, nobody had said a word about any requirement like that, and MANY of my co-workers had outside employment.  Seems like one of those old rules that either went away or just nobody enforced or mentioned anymore.  Do what you want, but I wouldn't worry about it.  Unless you work for the most anal of management, I suspect it's a non-issue.  I currently work for DoD/DCMA and I can tell you for sure that nobody cares if I get a 2nd job, and if I mentioned it, I expect I'd be asked "that's nice, but why are you telling us?" ! lol  anyhow...best of luck.  By the way, I AM planning to get a part-time job in a couple of weeks...just so I can load out my ROTH IRA between now & retirement...in 19 months.martyb2011-05-25 08:03:53
Forum trolls to 0%
sakijo  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:29:37 AM(UTC)
sakijo

I have never had trouble with my second job.  I was never informed about forms, etc.  I did know that it could not conflict with my current job and it never did.  The subject never came up, even though some of my co-workers knew.  Only when I was in Japan did the subject surface, at the week-long indoc.  There were certain kinds of jobs you couldn't hold, several types of businesses that you could not own or have financial interest, and everything EXCEPT teaching English to the Japanese had to be approved by the higher-ups.  That was the only thing I had a problem with - most Americans who taught English, civilians and military apouses, did so out of their Base housing unit or government-subsidized home (people with LQA).  To me, that was wrong - using US Gov't facilities for personal gain.sakijo2011-05-25 11:38:24
quickblur  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:55:49 AM(UTC)
quickblur

I hope its OK. If I get the position I'm hoping for, I'm going to need a second job (and/or sell plasma) to support my family on a GS 05 salary with DC prices.
Ryos  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:55:27 AM(UTC)
Ryos

quickblur wrote:
I hope its OK. If I get the position I'm hoping for, I'm going to need a second job (and/or sell plasma) to support my family on a GS 05 salary with DC prices.

Considering I don't know if it's possible to live on that salary by yourself in DC, a second job would be needed.
pavers  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:22:55 AM(UTC)
pavers

Get a second job but fill out the form if you even hear anyone talking about it.  I used to work at an IG and anyone there that had a second job had to fill out the form.  So cover your bases and just do it. 

In this climate, I'm thinking about drumming up some side work as well, filling out the form of course.  Who they heck knows what the debt ceiling limit is going to do to us later this summer.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed