Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ITVestGate  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:42:44 AM(UTC)
ITVestGate

Groups: Registered

I am wondering how the clearance process works when changing agencies.

I completed a DOD/AF contract 10 months ago. I held a secret clearance for five years. At the time my contract ended my Security Officer told me that my clearance would be current for two years but that it would not be active.

I have now found a promising position with the DHS/Immigration and Customs Enforcement. I realize that there are different suitability standards however I am wondering about clearances.

Are DHS/ICE clearance levels the same as or similar to the DOD?

In this situation would my prior DOD clearance transfer to DHS/ICE if at a similar level via reciprocity?

Would my previous Background investigation still stand and simply need re-adjudicated by the DHS/ICE?

Or, perhaps I would need to start from scratch? E.g. sp86, investigation, interim, adjudication, etc, etc.

Thoughts, opinions, and best guesses are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ruanne  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:58:39 AM(UTC)
Ruanne

Honestly, most agencies do not accept clearances from other agencies. You will most likely start from scratch. The fact that you obtained and maintained a clearance in the past makes it more likely that you will be successfully adjudicated, but that's all. 
sherco  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:45:15 PM(UTC)
sherco

I have a very fresh secret via a contractor through the DoD.  DHS made me submit for a public trust.  I was like, OK.  Ummm...Guys.  I already hold a newly adjudicated secret. 

The answer I was given was it doesn't matter. We do our own.

jhennessey  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 2:02:33 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Hi sherco,

a Public Trust Position (PTP), for Moderate + High levels uses the SF-85P and is a different animal than what a Security Clearance (SC) is, for Confidential, Secret, Top Secret levels, uses the SF-86.

Not sure what is meant "We do our own" ?
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
Beagle  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:07:35 AM(UTC)
Beagle

Ruanne wrote:
Honestly, most agencies do not accept clearances from other agencies. You will most likely start from scratch. The fact that you obtained and maintained a clearance in the past makes it more likely that you will be successfully adjudicated, but that's all. 

+1  what really happens at the applicant level is you will have to fill out another SF-86.  Normally those with previous clearance received their clearances faster than those submitting one for the first time.
Ruanne  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:36:16 AM(UTC)
Ruanne

On the plus side, when the National Guard wanted to start my periodic reinvestigation this last go round, I was delighted to find that eQIP had stored all the information from the SF-86 I filled out for the FBI about two months prior. Not all the fields populated with the old data, and I had to make some additions/updates, but it really cut down on completion time for the form. I don't know how long eQIP saves the data but it is a very good deal and whoever implemented that idea deserves kudos.

So if you are going for the same level of clearance, maybe your information will still be in eQIP. Happy form-filling!

sherco  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:01:38 PM(UTC)
sherco

Beagle wrote:

Ruanne wrote:

+1  what really happens at the applicant level is you will have to fill out another SF-86.  Normally those with previous clearance received their clearances faster than those submitting one for the first time.

It was an 85P with their supplemental and somewhat redundant DHS/CBP written questionnaire.  Had the usual interview and then they fell off the face of the earth.  No results, no response from HR, no emails, zero communications.

The questions were less invasive than the SF-86 but they did interview a boatload of people.

I'm not too concerned about it though.  If it comes through great. If not, oh well.  I don't want the job after learning a few things about what they plan on doing to the promotion structure but figured I'd let it ride and see where it goes.
sherco  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:02:35 PM(UTC)
sherco

jhennessey wrote:
Hi sherco,

a Public Trust Position (PTP), for Moderate + High levels uses the SF-85P and is a different animal than what a Security Clearance (SC) is, for Confidential, Secret, Top Secret levels, uses the SF-86.

Not sure what is meant "We do our own" ?

Sorry.  Meant to quote Hennessey not Beagle.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed