Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Military

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current military-related news topics.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Inception937  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 6:40:00 AM(UTC)
Inception937

Groups: Registered

I'm thinking about joining the Army or the Air Force, but I can't decide on which one is the best for me.

My main desire is to learn a good trade while I am in the military so after I get out of the military, I can find a good job with that trade.

I know the Air Force is more technology oriented and is cushier but I know that the Army has more guaranteed jobs.

Your take?

thanks

dhacker56  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 7:02:44 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Can't say for sure but I would think a talk with both recruiters would shed some light for you.  

martyb  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 9:35:12 AM(UTC)
martyb

Air Force. I realize I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but it's the honest to God truth...I retired from the Air Force after 33 years.  In all of that time, and even since then while working for DoD as a civilian, I've had many former Army people, including retirees, say to me they shoulda gone Air Force instead, for any number of reasons.  I have NEVER had one single Air Force person say the same the other way around that they wished they'd gone Army.  The Army is great, it's wonderful and thank God we have 'em.  No matter which one you choose, there are no guaranteed jobs on the outside either way.  Not sure where you heard that.  I'm obviously biased, but my vote is go Air Force.  Best of luck whichever you choose.
martyb2011-05-30 17:45:43
Forum trolls to 0%
Federal Games  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 9:53:34 AM(UTC)
Federal Games

Air Force is the way to go. I agree.
elcid89  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 9:56:00 AM(UTC)
elcid89

Each has their strong points and weak points. Talk to a recruiter and ascertain which is best for you personally. I served in the Army and don't regret choosing to go green. 
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
Pick  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 9:57:11 AM(UTC)
Pick

martyb wrote:
Air Force. I realize I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but it's the honest to God truth...I retired from the Air Force after 33 years.  In all of that time, and even since then while working for DoD as a civilian, I've had many former Army people, including retirees, say to me they shoulda gone Air Force instead, for any number of reasons.  I have NEVER had one single Air Force person say the same the other way around that they wished they'd gone Army.  The Army is great, it's wonderful and thank God we have 'em.  No matter which one you choose, there are no guaranteed jobs on the outside either way.  Not sure where you heard that.  I'm obviously biased, but my vote is go Air Force.  Best of luck whichever you choose.

I have had a few that said they should have went Army - mostly due to the faster promotions.  I've also dealt with more than a few Reservists who had came from Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve to Army Reserve.

That being said - I think it really depends on what you are trying to get out of it.  There are a lot of jobs in the Army that can translate well to private sector and others that don't.  A lot of people believe there are more that translate well in the Air Force, especially in the Aviation fields.  However, most airlines are not hiring right now - in fact, many have laid off in the last few years.  Both have money for college and student loan repayment.

However, I think the biggest factor that may play a part in today's recruiting environment are the recruiting targets themselves.  The Army is recruiting more right now than the Air Force.  The Army has a goal of 64K this year and the Air Force is 27.8K. 
truotsuko  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 11:09:58 AM(UTC)
truotsuko

Well in order to answer this question would be nice to know what career field you are thinking about going into then center your questions around that field and folks from both sides can give you the pros and cons for each.

hustonj  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 9:38:56 PM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Well, right now the USAF is not offering very many contracts for specific career fields, and is bringing most people in to be assigned a career field to be named later.

If you want training in a specific job, the Army is more likely to make you that promise than the USAF is, today.  The Army also tends to have better signing bonuses available than the USAF does.

The Army tends to promote people faster, so you are more likely to get more jingle in your pocket quicker with the Army than with the USAF.  That having been said, the cast majority of young Airmen obviously have more money than they need, given that they have no housing or food costs . . ..

The USAF day-to-day living TENDS to be better than the Army's.

If you want your military training to set you up for a follow-on career, the odds of this are higher in the USAF than the Army.

If you want military service to set you up to cover training costs once your service is over, the advantage tends to go to the Army with the higher specialaty signing bonuses.
TRW  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 10:16:53 PM(UTC)
TRW

I'm retired AF.  Both my sons wanted to be "different" than dad and as such they both joined the Army.  When my oldest son (21B) actually heard my youngest son (19D) was going to join the Army, he called him from Iraq and told him he was nuts!

YMMV 
Red  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 10:45:34 PM(UTC)
Red

elcid had it right.  Talk to recruiters, take the tests, see what you qualify for.  Air Force and Navy have more technical fields but are  more selective.  Nobody lives as well as the Air Force (I'm an Army vet).  You might qualify for something you never even considered; I did and had a good career.  Good Luck. 
Pick  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 11:12:49 PM(UTC)
Pick

TRW wrote:
I'm retired AF.  Both my sons wanted to be "different" than dad and as such they both joined the Army.  When my oldest son (21B) actually heard my youngest son (19D) was going to join the Army, he called him from Iraq and told him he was nuts!

YMMV 

I was like your sons - Dad was retired AF and I went Army.  Personally, I don't regret it (spent 22 years in and am working for them now as CS).
Ruanne  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:51:46 AM(UTC)
Ruanne

The Army can offer slightly better choices when you sign up. They repaid all of my student loans, offered a decent bonus (those have shrunk considerably since the recession so don't be surprised if you don't get one anywhere), and had a guaranteed job placement. In my case, they sent me to a 15 month long Arabic course at the Defense Language Institute.

If you can get a linguist contract in any of the military branches, it is well worth considering. The training is very similar whether you are Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps (though some Air Force personnel go through flight crew training in addition.) You get to learn a critically needed language, while living at government expense in Monterey, California, and earning a regular paycheck. The language course I took was worth 45 college credits, and DLI will even award you an Associate's Degree if you take the basic prereqs at a local community college (English comp, science with a lab, computer science, and history.) The military will pay for those courses, too, of course, through Tuition Assistance. If you make it all the way through the training, you will be proficient in a critical language, be well on your way to a degree if you don't already have one, and get a Top Secret/SCI clearance. Of course, not everybody makes it through all the training.

As far as the different branches' lifestyles go, everyone knows the Air Force is generally easier. Housing is a little nicer, you aren't yelled at quite as much, deployments are short. The Navy also lives well when ashore, but if you are posted to a ship, you will have ITTY BITTY living space. The Marines have tougher training than the Army, but on the plus side, they are usually stationed near a beach, while Army bases for some odd reason always seem to be near a swamp, or in the desert, or on the Canadian border.

Personally, I preferred the Army not only because of the nice sign-on benefits but also because of the no-nonsense work attitude and the real sense of teamwork. I love the Air Force, they provide air support to our combat troops on the ground and they DID fly me home from Iraq on more than one occasion. But their "culture" is a little too individualist for my tastes.  I have also heard that there is a waitlist almost a year long to ship out with either the Air Force or the Navy. The military is suddenly a very popular choice in the recession, but people are still understandably leery of going all in for a combat deployment to Afghanistan.

jake.valentine  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:35:56 AM(UTC)
jake.valentine

OP: What about the Marines? They are the last service based on traditional military culture with the inherent discipline, although I tip my hat to the Army which still has a few traditional military remnants in the Spec Op and Ranger communities as well. Of course life in the Air Force would be very comfortable compared to any of the services, but there is a difference between being in the military and doing just enough to pretend to be in the military. Although it is not politically correct to say, there are huge differences among the services. Are they equally important? Yes. However, some are more closely aligned with civilian day-to-day living than others which can be more similar to what is thought of as military living. Being the laid back, "cushy" service also pegs you as the undisciplined, "soft" service.
martyb  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:26:06 AM(UTC)
martyb

jake.valentine wrote:
OP: What about the Marines? They are the last service based on traditional military culture with the inherent discipline, although I tip my hat to the Army which still has a few traditional military remnants in the Spec Op and Ranger communities as well. Of course life in the Air Force would be very comfortable compared to any of the services, but there is a difference between being in the military and doing just enough to pretend to be in the military. Although it is not politically correct to say, there are huge differences among the services. Are they equally important? Yes. However, some are more closely aligned with civilian day-to-day living than others which can be more similar to what is thought of as military living. Being the laid back, "cushy" service also pegs you as the undisciplined, "soft" service.

The Air Force mission depends a little more on brain, and a little less on brawn to get the job done.  My dad was Army, and so was my best friend, so no issues with the Army.  But...don't go down that "pretenders" road.  The Air Force has certain requirements, and so do the other branches.  They're different, but not "better" or "worse".  Truth be told, Air Force puts more stock in brainpower than a strong back.
martyb2011-05-31 18:33:11
Forum trolls to 0%
Ruanne  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:39:32 AM(UTC)
Ruanne

I am a fan of the Air Force because they provide close air support to our ground troops in contact and because they fly the Freedom Bird HOME from Iraq and Afghanistan (at least the first leg of that flight.) They are full members of the team in book, it's just not the branch I'd prefer to serve in.
frankgonzalez  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:35:35 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Some people like apple pie, some prefer chocolate cake.  Some don't like either.  You have to look at all, review the pros and cons of each as they apply to you, and then make your choice.  Of course, that is based on you getting a high enough ASVAB/OQT (enlisted/officer) score to get in the AF (Requirements from highest to lowest last I checked went AF>USMC>Navy/USCG>Army) so you can choose between them all!  (Hey...I'm AF..gotta tweak the other services!). 

Seriously though...weigh the pros and cons based on YOUR needs/wants, then choose.
Inception937  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:51:50 PM(UTC)
Inception937

Thank you all very much for answering.

I hate to say it but the Marines is out of the question for me. I'm not physically and mentally tough enough to be a Marine.

I'm also 27 years old....so I'm not as young as a 17 or 18 year old would be coming out of HS.

I did some research online and apparently to join the AF you have to be under 28 so if I want to join the AF, I need to act fast!

At this point right now though, I'm split between Army and Air Force.

A friend of mine joined the Army last October and is in AIT right now. He told me it isn't as bad as it sounds.

martyb  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 3:57:46 AM(UTC)
martyb

My best friend went into the Army about the same time I enlisted in the Air Force.  He did one enlistment and got out.  I stayed on beyond my first enlistment, then continued with the reserves for a total of 33 years.  My bud strongly encouraged his son to go into the Air Force a couple of years ago, instead of the Army.  That all means nothing really...just wanted to pass it along.
Forum trolls to 0%
frankgonzalez  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:08:00 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

It would be easier to offer advice if you said what you want to do in the military (and after).  Some jobs are ONLY found in one branch (Vets and Vet techs are only in the Army, for example), others may be found in all branches but one has the majority of those positions (nuclear weapons for example..the AF has 2/3rds of the triad, the Navy has 1/3).  And so on. 

So...what do you want to do and do you already have a degree (and if so, what in)?
Inception937  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:29:16 AM(UTC)
Inception937

frankgonzalez wrote:
It would be easier to offer advice if you said what you want to do in the military (and after).  Some jobs are ONLY found in one branch (Vets and Vet techs are only in the Army, for example), others may be found in all branches but one has the majority of those positions (nuclear weapons for example..the AF has 2/3rds of the triad, the Navy has 1/3).  And so on. 

So...what do you want to do and do you already have a degree (and if so, what in)?

honestly, i don't know what i wanna do. i just know i don't want to do marines and navy.

marines is too tough for me. navy? i don't like water.

i don't have a degree.

i just want to do something that can translate into a good job as a civilian once i am done with  army/air force. i suppose i'm up for any MOS as long as it fits a "good job and good pay" description.

i appreciate the advice, thanks in advance!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed