Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
red-wolf  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:36:55 AM(UTC)
red-wolf

Groups: Registered

Here is my tale.

I was hired right out of Rutgers University with a bachelor's degree in geography. The company is one the top 5 defense contractors in the country. I have a secret clearance (whoopie ) my supervisor has told me in order to advance in the company I would need a TS clearance and that with my skill sets I should apply to one of the alphabet agency's. As the company very rarely pays for TS clearances. So I applied to NGA  in April 2011.
 A friend of mine sent me a job posting for a GIS position with the goverment of Cayman Islands.
I am on the short list for a job offer according to the official. It would be for 2 years period with a possibility to go no longer than 7 years. I am tempted to take it for the initial 2 years but was wondering if it would affect my employment prospects with the US Government agency's down the road.  
 I believe they (CI) will make a decision by  August on my job offer. It will be hard to turn down the salary , health benefits  and  life style of the Cayman Islands .

kalidawg8996  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:30:09 AM(UTC)
kalidawg8996

Working for a foreign government may or will affect your clearance. However, if you're working in a foreign land under a U.S. contractor, you might fall under different circumstances.

red-wolf  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:08:07 PM(UTC)
red-wolf

I would not be working for a US contractor. I would be employed by the Government of Cayman Islands. I know that they are deemed an ally as such, but I am worried that there is some rule buried in a practice that former employee's of foreign governments are not to be hired.
 My dad's statement, who is an ex-marine and retired DOD employee was you just might be screwing the pooch .

Ruanne  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:42:01 PM(UTC)
Ruanne

Not a great idea if you want to work at the TS/SCI level in the future.

However, GIS is a wide open field. There's more to it than Federal government. If you want to stay on the private or municipal side of the business you'd probably do okay in life once you build up your experience. (At least until the computers are doing all the analysis for us. No idea how long that will take.)

If you really like the Caymans, you might just stay out there for several years or even longer. If you see yourself here, stateside, as a cleared Federal employee and public servant with the stability and benefits that entails, you'd best leave the Caymans alone. Think long term - where do you want to be? It's your call. 
jhennessey  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 03, 2011 1:56:35 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Hi red-wolf,

it's hard to tell you whether to accept or not accept this position, only you can do that.

Even though, the Cayman Island's is not an adversary, it is still a foreign govt.

Factors such as what your position, connections, benefits, money, contacts, influence, on & on, will always be a "concern" to our Govt (fair enough).

As always, it's always in the details, and also, time is always a factor in these matters. If you do work for any foreign govt, it will be looked at closely, and once you leave their employ, it is best to have time behind you before attempting to obtain any position of trust (clearance, etc) with our Govt. 

You have a decision to make, I (nor) can anyone else tell you what will happen with certainty, especially based on the limited information provided. Adjudication folks will require a lot more (a whole lot more) than disclosed in this posting.

In any event, many people reading your situation, in this economy, I'm sure, wish you well.

I am aware of how singularly unhelpful I'm being so far.

Oh, love what your dad said.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
red-wolf  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 03, 2011 8:51:18 PM(UTC)
red-wolf

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to this post.
Jim , your advice is more than helpful, coming from your experiences.
I had a gut feeling that, as tempting as this job offer is,that it could come back and
bite me in the future. I believe that I will pass on the cayman islands job, and wait
out the job recessation and work on a masters in the mean time.
Once again thank you all for your valuable input in this matter !

Rss Feed  Atom Feed