Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 10:53:09 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/27/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1

I have a question.  Is it possible to move from a higher grade level to a lower grade level position within the same job classification and retain your level of pay?


GS-13 Step 4 Senior Adjudications officer requesting to demote to a GS-12 adjudications officer position.  Would the officer retain the pay (as close as possible)?
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:03:51 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/25/2011(UTC)
Posts: 682

If you voluntarily accept a lower graded position, management has the OPTION to pay you highest previous rate/maximum previous rate.  If you are a GS-13/04 and take a GS-12 position see where your salary falls on the GS-12 level.  If it falls between steps 8 and 9 then management MAY place you at the GS-12/09 (even if it results in a slight pay increase).  However, because you have voluntarily accepted this position they have the ability to offer you GS-12 step 1 as well (and anywhere in between).  If you are forced to move to a lower grade, the rules are different because they MUST protect your pay.

I recently worked on a transfer for an employee who left the command 6 months ago, received a promotion with the other agency, and was coming back to the command I service.  If they offered him maximum payable rate, he would have received a 5 step increase in 6 months which wasn't fair to other employees who stayed with the command and are doing the same level work so they offered him 2 steps higher than what he left from to be more reasonable.

--- <br />HR Specialist <br />*Please understand that any comments I make are based on my interpretation of any applicable laws. Any statistics are based on my own personal (sometimes limited) experience.
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:30:42 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/2/2009(UTC)
Posts: 211

Another way to retain pay (and take a lower grade) is through the Priority Placement Program (PPP). But, this is hard to get unless you're base is closing/moving to another locale. 

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.641 seconds.