Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RZ_4850  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:40:45 PM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Next week the DIA will have a booth as part of a career fair in OK. It is a 4-hour drive from where I live and I will have to take the day off.

I've read that usually career fairs are great for newly graduating kids because they will be willing to take the lowest pay offered by the job. I have a little bit more than 9 years of experience, which might be relevant to the DIA nature of work and settling for the minimum pay is simply not an option for me, especially if the job requires relocation.

So, back to my question, do you think I should go to this DIA recruiting event?

Thanks for your input!
Skinnybones  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 12:21:13 AM(UTC)
Skinnybones

Depends on your situation. If you want a government job really bad then go. But if you're happy with the job you have then no
RZ_4850  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 12:59:20 AM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Thank you for your reply!

I do want a federal job (right now I have one, but it is with local government). And no, I am not happy with my current job because there are no prospects for professional growth or promotion. Other than that, it is not really that bad ...

It's been very frustrating not to be able to reach the conference contact person and find out if there is a fee to the career fair. I already left two messages, whcih makes me question somewhat the level of professionalism of thewhole event they are hosting.

They say that it is "Open to the public". Does this mean that it is free?

RZ_48502011-06-10 09:04:59
Skinnybones  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 4:03:11 AM(UTC)
Skinnybones

Yes. It's free.
RZ_4850  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 4:29:55 AM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Thanks!

I think that I'm gonna pass this event. Don't feel like driving all the way there without knowing for sure how beneficial it would be. Maybe if there were going to be more employers present I would have been more motivated ...

Oh, well. I'll keep my eye on the other agencies recruiting event.

By the way, Skinnybones, did you make up your mind as to which agency to work for?

Skinnybones  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 6:53:03 AM(UTC)
Skinnybones

Going with dia. Hopefully it all works out
RZ_4850  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 6:55:09 AM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Good! Let us know how long it took you to go through the clearing process. I've heard so many stories about how long it may take ...
Skinnybones  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 10:57:16 PM(UTC)
Skinnybones

Will do. And Thanks :)
shockdj  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:07:13 AM(UTC)
shockdj

I think you made the right choice.  Usually, their career fair booths will tell you about the agency and direct you to their website.  If you see an opening for one of their hiring events, it would be worth going if you get selected.  Hiring events are interviews that result in actual job offers.  Granted not everyone interviewed is hired, but still it is a pretty high percentage, and I am guessing your chances of receiving a job offer at a career fair is near zero.
RZ_4850  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 10:56:03 PM(UTC)
RZ_4850

shockdj,

Thanks for your reply. Just out of curiosity (or maybe I didn't understand you), why do you think I have a zero chance of of getting an offer from them at a career fair?

And do you know if for all DIA positions my immediate family have to be US citizens? I saw this requirement for a recent vacancy on the DIA site ...

I am a naturalized US citizen and my parents are not American citizens.
shockdj  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:49:11 AM(UTC)
shockdj

I went to a few job fairs, and the people at the events I attended were general DIA reps and not authorized to conduct hiring.  I also went to a DIA hiring event (you have to apply, get selected, then show up), and there you actually interviewed with a hiring manager for a specific office, and HR personnel were on hand to handle the offers.  I cannot speak to the citizenship requirement.  I have known DIA employees who were married to foreign nationals, but I do not know the current policy for new hires.  At NGA, we have to be US citizens, but can have non-citizen family members, though this certainly can slow the clearance and thus the hiring process.
RZ_4850  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:40:47 PM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Shockdj,

Thank you for your reply. I read somewhere that NGA was probably the first federal agency to adopt a policy allowing the hiring of foreign-born American citizens .

That said, I had an interview for an entry-/mid-level position with the NGA in April and one of the questions that I asked was if the fact that I was foreign-born and still had family abroad was going to affect my selection ... I regretted blurting out this questions as soon as I said it because I am sure that the Selecting Official had seen this in my paperwork. Anyway, they said that it was something the "clearance folks" could answer and that was it. Not sure if that determined my plight :), but only one week after the interview I had the "Not Selected" status update.

On the other hand, I do not regret it so much because working as a data steward did not sound that exciting to me. Will keep applying though for other NGA positions, just not sure if an entry one will be a good match if they only offer the minimum pay.
flyers29  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:59:23 PM(UTC)
flyers29

Second on the hiring fairs being a good thing to go to if you apply/are selected for interview. Just a general career fair isn't worth it though.

RZ_4850  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:03:12 PM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Thanks for your input!
LuLuHead  
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:00:38 AM(UTC)
LuLuHead

I keep seeing DIA career fairs about 3 hrs from where I live, but you always have to have a security clearance just to get in...
I wanted to go to one, I called and asked, and "general public" like myself could not even get through the door :(

RZ_4850  
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:16:31 PM(UTC)
RZ_4850

Good to know! Thanks, LuLuHead!
ForzaMilan  
#17 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 12:18:08 AM(UTC)
ForzaMilan

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If it is an open fair, you are not missing much. I went to two fairs during the spring, dropped off resumes, talked to them for a little bit and went on my way. These type of fairs are more of a way to show off the agency and their mission, not for hiring. I have not heard back from any of them since 3 months ago, so if it is a long drive, don't worry, you are not missing much.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed