Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sjl9069  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:21:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Not sure where to post this, but here it goes. I have been a Federal Employee for 24 years.  I am lucky enough to be employed on a Joint Base as a result of the BRAC.  Prior to 1 Oct 10, I was an Army DoD civilian.  Now, I am an Air Force civilian.  My spouse is a contractor with the government, and because of the BRAC, his job moved to Alabama.  I’m trying to find a job in AL so I can join my husband there.  Not nearly as easy as I thought since a majority of the jobs on Redstone Arsenal are for “current Army employees”.  As an Air Force employee (not by choice mind you), I am not eligible for any of those positions.  Has anyone else run into this, and is there a way around this issue that I don’t know about?  Any help would be appreciated.
TRW  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:40:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So...why did your husband move to AL?  Was his job more important than yours?  Could he not find something at your location?

I commiserate.  I'm an Army employee who has been trying to get back to an Air Force base I left years ago....and have to put up with the "Current AF employees only" also.
sjl9069  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:11:48 PM(UTC)

His position pays almost double what I make, and is giving us the opportunity to eliminate a great amount of debt that we wouldn't have been able to get rid of as soon had he not gotten this job.  Just seems to me that all Federal Jobs....Army, Navy, Air Force...whatever, should be open to all federal employees.  Who's to say there isn't a more qualified Army employee who would have been more suited for a position filled by an Air Force employee, but because you can't apply you can't be hired.  Frustrating system that we have.

buckeyeguy2010  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:04:20 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
sj19069: Your are being affected by one of the most common "problems"  of the way the federal HR system operates: The bias in favor of current "insider" applicants and against "outsider" applicants of all types.  (If you are eligible for veteranns preferance, you should notice that it is not considered where only insider applicants (usually current agency staffers) are under consideration.)  Of course, once hired, agency employees prefer it when outsiders are excluded from consideration.  
Retreaded DD/GS Careerist
job forlife  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:03:30 PM(UTC)

sjl9069 wrote:

His position pays almost double what I make, and is giving us the opportunity to eliminate a great amount of debt that we wouldn't have been able to get rid of as soon had he not gotten this job.  Just seems to me that all Federal Jobs....Army, Navy, Air Force...whatever, should be open to all federal employees.  Who's to say there isn't a more qualified Army employee who would have been more suited for a position filled by an Air Force employee, but because you can't apply you can't be hired.  Frustrating system that we have.

just think what a vet must face
mudpie  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:44:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 90 post(s)

Your can try for a management-directed swap. Find someone in AL in the same GS series and grade get both supervisors/agencies approval and make the swap.

There are other federal agencies there as well. NASA is a big one. Try shopping by location and not agencies www.usajobs.opm.gov. Remember the site will be down Oct 6 for a week.

Forrest Carver  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:42:44 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hey, just curious if you've had any luck. Also, what is your GS series/grade? I keep a pretty close finger on the pulse of open positions down here (I'm a civilian in Huntsville), and would be glad to help keep an eye open.
sjl9069  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:35:07 AM(UTC)

fcarver:  sent you a private message.  Thanks.
Forrest Carver  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:07:06 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Got it :0)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed