Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nixie55  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 6:17:37 AM(UTC)
Nixie55

Groups: Registered

Can anyone define Bargaining Unit Work in relations to SSA/Retail Clerks for me, please?  The new contract says that management in a Level 18 post office is limited to doing 15 hours of clerk/bargaining unit work per week.  My PM has historically, and still currently does much more clerk work than this.  I receive approximately 20 clerk hours per week.  When I asked him/informed him about the new contract, he said, "I'm not sure what they are considering clerk work to be."  I talked with a supervisor from a neighboring office who told me the same thing. 

I believe that clerk work/bargaining unit work in a level 18 Post office would consist of, working the mail (distribution, sorting to routes, throwing parcels, throwback mail, etc.) and waiting the window primarily.  I have yet to see a black and white definition in any of the APWU language though.  Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

postalvet  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 8:48:08 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

during my 38 plus years bargaining unit work was any work touching mail, keeping records of box sections, checking carriers in and out, selling stamps. 
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Nixie55  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 10:58:25 AM(UTC)
Nixie55

I agree postalvet, that's my understanding as well, I was just wondering if this is in one of the contracts somewhere.  Management is telling me that even this is another "gray area".  They are claiming that none of the contracts define the make up if this bargaining work.  However the general consensus seems to be the same, until you challenge management.  
Southernclerk  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 11:43:36 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Some of the defined work is amongst arbitrations.  But PostalVet stated it pretty clearly.
DoItTheRightWay  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 7:25:23 PM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

There are no grey areas. The problem is documenting the 15 hours. Our sup, whom shouldn't be doing any bargaining work, likes to assist the clerks when pulling down mail to be given to the carriers under the guise that he is counting the mail. It usually takes about 1 minute. The clerks don't grieve it because it's only a minute. But it's 6 minutes a week. Caller service, hold mail, window sweeps fall in the same catagory. It only takes a minute to do each.
If the work is of continuing nature and does not meet emergency standards found in Article 1.6 then it should be done by bargaining unit employees.
"The Postal Service reaffirms its intent that supervisors will do as little bargaining unit work as possible and that such work will be performed only under the strict limitations of Article 1, Section 6, of the 1973 National Agreement."
The PM's form 50 should document what they can do as far as clerk duties. I.E. "Case box mail for two hours a day." Or "Relieve the window clerk for lunch 5 days a week for 1 hour".

DoItTheRightWay2011-06-28 14:03:57
5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
Nixie55  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:18:30 AM(UTC)
Nixie55

Here's the dilemma in my office.  The
new contract says that, a PM in a level 18, can only clerk 15 hours. 
Our window is open 43 hours per week.  8 to 4 Monday to Friday, and 9 to
12 on Saturday.  Currently I am only scheduled 20 clerk hours per
week.  I also get 8 hours of higher level on Saturdays.  That means,
he's obviously clerking more than 15, b/c he's waiting the window at
least 20, he also works the mail every morning, sorting flats and
parcels, helps put up box section, and never takes the full lunch break
he is entitled.  I am wondering the best avenue I should use to get this
problem resolved.  I need all the hours I can get.  28 a week is not
enough for me.  Is there anything I'm missing?  Shouldn't there be a
need for at least 43 clerk hours minus the 15 he is allowed to work, so
wouldn't that still mean that I should be getting at a minimum 28 per
week, rather than 20, and still get my 8 higher level hours.  36 hours
would be much better than 28.  
DoItTheRightWay  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:59:17 PM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Just because the contract says that doesn't mean they are gonna do that. Call your steward and make a written statement.
5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
TexasClk  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:19:38 PM(UTC)
TexasClk

I believe we've won every grievance that we've filed for supervisors working mail.  A supervisor in a small office may pretend he doesn't know what clerk work is, but once the grievance goes past Step 1, I guarantee you all parties at Step 2 and above know.

merrymerry6  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:44:42 PM(UTC)
merrymerry6

Don't forget that custodial work and maintenance in general is also bargaining unit work, so if your PM is doing that also, he is really way over his 15-hr. limit on doing craft work. Grievances need to be filed on all of this.

Nixie55  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:00:08 PM(UTC)
Nixie55

We still have a contract cleaner as of now, but he does carry mail when our PTF city carrier wants the day off and he can't get a PTF carrier in from another office.
postalvet  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 12:27:21 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Nixie55 wrote:
We still have a contract cleaner as of now, but he does carry mail when our PTF city carrier wants the day off and he can't get a PTF carrier in from another office.

the carrier union should be all over this!!!!
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
L16PTF  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:51:22 AM(UTC)
L16PTF

I've got a similar situation. Level 16 PMs are only supposed to do 25 hrs/wk of clerk work. I finally filed a grievance because management will not abide by the contract. Our window is open 8 hrs/day, so the union and myself think I should be getting at least 15 hrs/wk. Management is trying to say that those 8 hrs/day don't count because they leave the window and do other management functions. The NAPUS website makes me even more confused. This goes completely against what the union tells me. What do you think this means for us clerks?

"The amount of time a Postmaster spends performing bargaining unit work will only apply to the time that the Postmaster actually spends doing that work. If the Postmaster is intermittently performing management work and bargaining unit work, only the actual time spent performing the bargaining unit work will count towards the contractual restrictions (Level 18 – 15 hours and Levels 15 & 16 – 25 hours.)" - from napus.org 
binthair  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 2:19:16 PM(UTC)
binthair

Are you kidding me NAPUS.org?   Does craft have to set a stopwatch at the beginning of the day and observe every minute that supervision performs clerk work?  All this jargon by them is just their interpretation of the new contract .  I, as well as many others, warned our craft that this BS would start up if and when the new contract was passed.  Now, all we have going for us is grievances that will be filed and will inevitability be sitting on the bottom of some pile for months to come.  Fasten your seat belts!
DoItTheRightWay  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 7:53:39 PM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

L16PTF wrote:

I've got a similar situation. Level 16 PMs are only supposed to do 25 hrs/wk of clerk work. I finally filed a grievance because management will not abide by the contract. Our window is open 8 hrs/day, so the union and myself think I should be getting at least 15 hrs/wk. Management is trying to say that those 8 hrs/day don't count because they leave the window and do other management functions. The NAPUS website makes me even more confused. This goes completely against what the union tells me. What do you think this means for us clerks?

"The amount of time a Postmaster spends performing bargaining unit work will only apply to the time that the Postmaster actually spends doing that work. If the Postmaster is intermittently performing management work and bargaining unit work, only the actual time spent performing the bargaining unit work will count towards the contractual restrictions (Level 18 – 15 hours and Levels 15 & 16 – 25 hours.)" - from napus.org 
Is there a procedure to login in and off at your station? If the widow is open and there is no clerk assigned to the window then who is doing the work? That's easy. Who is logged in and for how long? My grievance would be "since no bargaining unit employee was assigned to the position it must have been the PM doing the work. If management produces a document that says only the actual time performing the work is grivable, then I would show the login times...
Southernclerk  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 8:15:18 PM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Some areas the locals are just overwhelmed with issues.  They were prior to the contract and certainly are moreso now.  If anyone is having problems in small offices, certainly you need to bring to the attention of the union, but meanwhile DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT.
If your local can't handle it, pu***** further up but meanwhile DOCUMENT.
Now some will question how do you document a minute here, a minute there.
Use the same information that the Post Office uses to determine staffing. 

Volume sheets - CSAW - You get so many feet of mail (letters, flats, packages) they know how much time it takes to perform the tasks of distribution, boxing, marking up, accountables.

Retails Sales - every transaction has a time associated with it.  Certified takes this long, a priority with delivery confirmation takes this long, customer picks up hold mail takes this long, customer pays for box rent, takes this long.  If on the POS, print a copy of the unit 1412 and a copy of your own 1412.  The difference is what the PM worked if only the two of you.

WebBats - many forget or are not even given the duty.  WebBats is a clerks job.  How many boxes are in the office that are rented? 

How many carriers do you sort for? do accountables for?

What I'm trying to say is you don't have to document the minutes, use the tools already in place that USPS utlizes already. 
When did you scan your SPMS times?  SPMS report.

I'm in a L18, there is literally not enough time for me to complete all my clerk duties daily.  PM/OIC does alot.  Just sorting and boxing mail takes up most of that 15 hours.  There are days I don't touch the box section at all.

As said before a clerks job is, " any work touching mail, keeping records of box sections, checking carriers in and out, selling stamps".

L16PTF  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:00:09 AM(UTC)
L16PTF

We are still on the IRT, but soon going to POS. Doesn't really matter, though, because the only time I sign on is on Saturdays or if the PM is on leave. She is on the IRT from 7am until 4pm, with the post office closed for a 1 hr lunch. If she is the only one on the IRT all day, then she's doing 40 hrs/wk of clerk work right there.  I don't put too much stake in what napus says, but they were meeting with HQ for the second time. Guess it will be settled in arbitration, but that will take forever.

I must add that a few years back, I did get 3 hrs each weekday. They've continually cut my hours and was down to 7 hrs/wk. I have since gained and get 8.5 hrs/wk. I have had 2 non-scheduled days for the past several years. I now have a cash drawer in 5 offices and have to work where they need me. It would be so much nicer to be in the same office every morning and just help others around that schedule.

I must be gullible because I really expected mgmt to abide by the new contract right away!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed