Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alwayshopeful  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 8:03:21 AM(UTC)
alwayshopeful

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone!

First off, I want to congratulate all those who got referred for the 2011 NGA July hiring event!

My question is regarding my status on the NGA website for this July entry level event. Like everyone else, I applied in the April/May period for this and I recently got my status posted but I'm a bit confused because it said "Inelig-Basic Eligibilty" for this entry level position. I was under the impression that this status determination was for someone who was seeking a pay band higher than what they are eligible for. However, since I am only applying for an entry level position, I did not think this status applied in my situation. Did anyone else get this? I may just be interpreting the description incorrectly but if anyone knows anything about this, please do give me your thoughts on it. It would be very helpful to understand the reasoning so I can work at improving myself in order to work for the NGA. Thanks for any feedback!

WLERAU  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:10:46 PM(UTC)
WLERAU

Yeah, I got the "Inelig-Basic Eligibility" too. No idea why as it doesn't make sense for entry level. I'm guessing it just means we are ineligible for some other reason. It is curious though.
RZ_4850  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 12:43:13 AM(UTC)
RZ_4850

If you have doubts, you should call the recruitment office. Mistakes do happen as these entries are made by humans. Unless you know for a fact that you are not overqualified for the position, I don't see why your status shows this.
alwayshopeful  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:03:15 AM(UTC)
alwayshopeful

Thanks for the feedback RZ_4850!

Unfortunately, I tried to get an response about this by e-mailing them about a while ago but I haven't heard back. I hope to get an answer but I imagine they probably won't respond since they are so busy. I can't seem to find a number for the recruitment office either. If you have any tips on contacting them, it would be a huge help! 
Creatre  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 12:49:07 PM(UTC)
Creatre

I've tried contacting by email with no response as well. I imagine they get a great many emails each day.

If you feel like you met all of the standards for the position, then most likely you need to reword your resume or skills so that you get past the electronic scanner. Keywords are huge for federal government positions since a computer usually analyzes your profile first. Though I applied once and got Inelig - Education when I had applied twice before and gotten to the last referred, and twice after that got to the last referred. I think in my case it was because my degree was not finished yet (even though the fields/major was for the right thing). Good luck in the future!
"Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again."
mcllisms  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:05:51 PM(UTC)
mcllisms

Hi everyone my status was selected and after the system went down for maintenance my status change to applied. I am confused
catsgotmysock  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:26:48 PM(UTC)
catsgotmysock

Were you interviewed? If so I'd get in touch with your point of contact or HR to see whats up. 
Imonit!  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:33:05 PM(UTC)
Imonit!

Essentially the same thing happened to me. I interviewed during the July hiring event for 2 positions. My status went from referred to HE selection pending and now applied. There is no longer a hyperlink to the status description page.

I was in a full fledged panic when I saw "applied".

However, after speaking with someone in recruiting she assured me that my status was still either referred or selection pending. You are probably still in good shape.
jaemell  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 4:15:25 AM(UTC)
jaemell

I had the same issue as others.  I applied, July came & went with no change to my status, and then after I had given up, in September I checked and saw that I had the "Inelg - Basic Eligibility" status.  I contacted the NGA via the recruitment email address, and was given a generic response (along the lines of "you weren't among the top candidates").

I found this whole thing to be a head-scratcher--particularly the response, as the Entry-Level Hiring Event didn't have any eligibility requirements to speak of.  I've got a MA in Geography, on-the-ground experience and language skills in some sensitive and mission-critical regions, etc., and I pointed that out in my query.  I chalked it up to some data entry error or database corruption, in hopes that they'd find the problem and fix it--or at the very least, tell me what precisely made me "ineligible."

No response whatsoever to my second email.  Oddly enough, my response to their response originally timed-out.  I sent from another mail account and maybe it went through (or maybe it didn't, as I never heard back).  I've since sent a third query, and am waiting to hear back.

I'm guessing that since so many people got the same "Basic Eligibility" status for an Entry Level Hiring Event, that either there was a massive database issue, or that code got appropriated as a proxy for some other reason not to hire--maybe it was assigned to non-veterans.

In any case, given that I talked to two recruiters live and in-person and in my 60-second spiel selling myself they were both enthusiastic about my prospects (and it was clear to them that I wasn't a veteran), I can't imagine how from my resume, cover letter, and transcripts that I would be determined to be ineligible for employment.  And given that there are other status codes for ineligibility based on education or experience, it doesn't add up.  Again, my money is on some database error.

EDIT: Well, that's interesting. After noting the dates on a couple posts in this thread, I checked back on my application.  The "basic ineligibility" status is gone, and I'm now simply "not selected."  On the face of it, that makes more sense, but it's less information, too.  I'm even more suspicious that there was some big SNAFU in the system.

jaemell2011-11-14 12:26:16
Rss Feed  Atom Feed