Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ptf4life  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 4:36:29 AM(UTC)
ptf4life

Groups: Registered

I am in an office with 4 PTF's and 1 TE. We have several regular carriers that are past due retirement. I am second in line with seniority. Does anyone know if they will allow office transfers any time soon?
It doesn't seem like the regulars are going any time soon and we have no open assignments in my office. So I am looking at other offices with open assignments but I was told that they are not allowing any tranfers. Can anyone shed some light please.
Thanks

Postmaster  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 7:34:30 AM(UTC)
Postmaster

All transfers are handled by each indivudual District (I beleive there are currently 60 different districts).  I work in the Rio Grande District and all transfers are handled through eReassign (accessible from LiteBlue on your home computer).  Go in and enter what craft and what offices you would consider transferring too. 

The process in my particular district is slow but I do not beleive they can prevent transfers anywhere in the USPS without cause (performance, attendance, safety).

With all that being said, I can bet the USPS is awaiting the outcome of DUO and the placement of unassigned employees prior to allowing transfers in some districts which would make a certain amount of sense.  Once DUO is completed, I imagine they will resume processing transfers.
dhacker56  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:00:59 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

If you voluntarily transfer you will have to start your office seniority over again.  What would that gain you?

boober  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:11:17 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

dhacker56 wrote:
If you voluntarily transfer you will have to start your office seniority over again.  What would that gain you?

I think he's just hoping to go somewhere where he can hopefully make regular soon. Or at least sooner than he can in his current office. If that's true, you'll definitely want to go to an office that has lots and lots of routes. As I guess the only way a PTF can make regular thesse days is on an open T-6 string that's been vacant for at least 6 months?
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
rich1mc1  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:14:37 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

Wrong Boober, I was converted to FTR unassigned just over a year ago. It depends on your office's work hours.rich1mc12011-07-08 18:30:55
dhacker56  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:18:42 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Rich-  you are right.  but those chances are indeed rare.

boober-  if his office has two carriers eligible for retirement it seems he is best right where he is.  Even if he is not converted he will be on a hold down which is basically the same thing except for the OT provisions.  And from what I hear management has thrown those out the window.

boober  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:31:32 AM(UTC)
boober

rich1mc1 wrote:
Wrong Boober, I was converted to FTR unassigned just over a year ago. It depends on your office's work hours.

How exactly is it you were able to be converted to a regular? Was it the 40 hours a week, for every week for 6 months straight rule?

boober  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:43:25 AM(UTC)
boober

dhacker56 wrote:
Rich-  you are right.  but those chances are indeed rare.

boober-  if his office has two carriers eligible for retirement it seems he is best right where he is.  Even if he is not converted he will be on a hold down which is basically the same thing except for the OT provisions.  And from what I hear management has thrown those out the window.

D - Not sure if maybe you misread his post? He stated that he doesn't see any of those regulars retiring anytime soon. And as I said, if he's hoping to make regular soon, going to a different office maybe his best bet. In my office of about 10 routes, our top PTF gave up trying to make regular after about 2 years. He transferred to a nearby city that has about 120 routes, and he made regular within a couple of months. He made regular due to a T-6 string having been vacant for awhile. I guess 6 months? That's the rule isn't it? Also this city had only 2-3 PTF's but like 20 TE's. Thus it made it easy for him to make regular.

Anyways, being in a bigger office, that hopefully doesn't have many PTF's to begin with, might be his best bet for making regular. It all depends on the situation.
dhacker56  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:10:41 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Ok I did miss that.  But the T6 just has to go unbid.  It has to do with the person who bids to a T6 job must have at least one year of carrying experience.  So an excessed clerk could take a T6 job if they had been a carrier previously for a year.

rich1mc1  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:23:26 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

Thats how it happened to me. Large office, several retirements, max on withheld routes, 88/12 kicked in. We also had several moved up due to a T-6 string no regular wanted, The local pushed for and got several conversions one after another, when the first bid to another route, the second,  third and fourth did the same.When my time came, there were several who got converted to unassigned due to retirements, and the least senior of us, (not me thank God), was forced to the T-6 position. rich1mc12011-07-08 20:12:53
flathead7  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:28:10 AM(UTC)
flathead7

dhacker56 wrote:
If he came to my city it would gain him a regular route upon arrival.

We have ZERO PTF's in the city and are 32 carriers under compliment. 
ptf4life  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:29:43 AM(UTC)
ptf4life

Thanks for the replies. I am starting to explore my options by working and talking to other PTF's in different offices. I just feel that at this rate I will never make regular. I don't even care about the OT. I am just interested in knowing that I will get 40 hrs per week. With 4 kids, mortgage and bills not knowing is hard (as most of you know).
CalzoneSC  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:04:28 AM(UTC)
CalzoneSC

hey i feel you brother... i'm starting my 4th year as a ptf...most days I just go with the flow of the route...my only consolation at this point is knowing all the ptfs at my previous station have been converted to regular... so.. 
carrier66  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 9:11:40 AM(UTC)
carrier66

Hang in there. I've been a ptf for 6 years now also. When I transfered 2 years ago, there was 8 ptf's in my office. Now, there's 4 because of the vacant T6 rule. I went from working 6 days, 60 hours a week to 5 days, 45 hours a week. Personally, I love it but a few of the other ptf's are pissed that they're not gettin enough OT. With all the retirements heading the USPS's way, you'll be a regular soon. Unless they do something catastrophic (PRIVATIZE, MASSIVE LAYOFF) even 5 day probably won't effect you with all the vacancies in the carrier craft.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed