Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevenyanowsky  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 7:46:34 AM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

Groups: Registered

Whats the story with the PSE 473 test.  Why does it seem that people are scoring very low on this test?  I feel as though the post office needs to disclose exactly how they score your test.  It is not fair that you take a test and never find out where your weak points were , etc.  I never scored so low on a civil service test before and feel something is suspicious about the scoring.  The 150 question assessment section apparently weights too heavily on your score.  There is no way on this earth that I should only score a 79 on this test when in all other tests I have ever taken I have scored as high as 100 and no less than 90.  It is impossible for my score to be this low even though I got some wrong in the final part of the test.  I want a detailed analysis of how my score was determined but I know that will never happen but it is unfortunate.  This practice must be changed and along with your Basic Rating you need to get a breakdown on how you were scored.
crpetersen  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 9:25:49 AM(UTC)
crpetersen

You should probably post your question in the post office board below.
stevenyanowsky  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 9:28:35 AM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

Can you send me a link to the Post Office Board?
oktoots  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:49:20 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Just go to Forum Home, and scroll down through the first section of topics. It says "Postal Employees".
multiple identities to 0%
admin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:13:14 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have moved this thread to the Postal Employees forum. Admin2011-07-11 05:18:32
merrymerry6  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:57:43 PM(UTC)
merrymerry6

Actually, a 79 is not such a bad score on this test. I'm like you---I've always scored in the 90s on every civil service test, postal exam, etc., that I've taken. I'm a Mensan and have scored in the 99.98th percentile on graduate school entrance exams, etc. Guess what I my score was on the 473 battery exam? It was 80.

There is a personality component to the test that is somehow figured into the final score. I understand that these days they're giving the personality part first and you have to pass it to be admitted to the rest of the exam, but that doesn't mean it isn't still being figured into your final score. There are some really screwy things about this test that make it very difficult even for those who usually test very well.

A few years ago when this test first came out (about 2004 or 2005), the guy who writes and sells the very best guides on preparing postal exams, T. W. Parnell, took this test multiple times in preparation for creating his study guide for the new test (available at http://www.amazon.com/Or...tudy-Guide/dp/0940182262 ). In his comments about the test that were posted on line, he  said that he had not managed to make over about 86 on the test, no matter how many times he took it---and this man knows EVERYTHING about preparing for and taking these tests. He is the MASTER.

When the current 473 first came into use, hundreds of postal employees and wannabes posted comments online about the terrible scores they received, just as you have now done. The highest score I ever remember anyone saying he/she received was 88 or 89.

So don't despair---79 is probably have a very good score. And if it isn't, there's not much you can do about it. You could buy the study guide and prepare very well so that you can be ready to take the test again next time it's offered. That would be the best thing to do.

However, I think you'll get a PSE job with your 79, and then you'll be on the hiring register for future career job openings. Those are supposed to go by PSE seniority, not by test score, so you should be fine.

Hang in there.

stevenyanowsky  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:26:15 PM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

Thank you so much for your reply and detailed information.  I was in shock when I got home and found out that I had scored a 79 as I always score at least in the 90s in government tests.  While you have now given me some hope as far as my score is concerned, I have other issues to deal with which probably makes all this MOOT.

I am a postal retiree who took an early out 3 years ago and was trying to get back into the post office with these positions.  Now I have found out that if I was even hired again, I would basically lose my annuity and it would cause a lot of complications.

I had thought this would be no different than if I took a private sector job and would be subject to an earnings test.  Now I see that I basically would be working for nothing if I went back with all the issues about my annuity.

Every just seems so unfair.

Why does the postal Service make everything so complicated.

Oh by the way is it really true that Posta;l retirees will be getting a COLA next year.  I seem to not believe anything i read anymore.

One final question:

ON THE POSTAL TEST APPLICATION I remember that one of the questions was if I was a postal retiree collecting a pension.  Of course I had to check yes to that question.  I wasnt gonna lie.

Why at that point wasnt my application terminated if basically I am not allowed to come back?  Did they expect to hire me and see me get paid and then take my annuity away?  I have to go back to the application process again and check for this but pretty sure that question was there.

No woinder they never hired me again for casual after I retired.

There is more to this but enough for now.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

merrymerry6  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 3:28:21 AM(UTC)
merrymerry6

Sorry, I really don't know what to tell you. I don't know much about retirement penalties because I can't even think about retiring until I'm nearly 70 years old. By that time, I'll be at the point where I don't think you get penalized much or at all.

Good luck to you.

postalvet  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 8:10:36 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

"Why does the postal Service make everything so complicated"  steve we have told you before this is not a post office rule, this is a federal government rule. apply at a state office and nothing will happen to your retirement.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
stevenyanowsky  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 8:19:27 AM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

Ok but my goal was to work for post office again

pissfir  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 10:04:27 AM(UTC)
pissfir

This makes me feel much better.  I took the darned test twice and only got a 79.  I felt like a failure.  I really would have been a great employee.  Their loss.  I shall retire from USDA F.S. in May.  :D

subdewd  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 7:17:52 PM(UTC)
subdewd

didn't know you could not be re employed, where did you get that info?

stevenyanowsky  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 8:31:40 PM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

You can be reemployed if you want to lose your annutity.

http://www.opm.gov/retire/post/life/reemployment.asp#FERS

dhacker56  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 8:54:09 PM(UTC)
dhacker56

Steve --- you would not lose your annuity!!  Your pay is reduced $ for $ by your annuity.  If your annuity is $12 per hour and the pay for the job is $15 then your pay would be reduced to $3 per hour.  YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR ANNUITY.
stevenyanowsky  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 10:30:07 PM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

How does this work?  Is this based my my annuity only or also the FERS SUPPLEMENT that I am receiving.  Yes well I dont know if I would really want to work for $3.00/hr.  I simply figured that I would make as much as my annuity was paying so that it would practically wipe it out anyway.

Also how about the COLA we will be getting next year?  Is that actually going to happen or is it only a rumor?

dhacker56  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 10:46:10 PM(UTC)
dhacker56

Steve-  if you have the supplement  it is just the same as SS.  You would lose $1 for every 2 you earn over the cap(14400).  with regards your annuity  for every $ in your annuity you los it in salary from any federal job unless a waiver is granted.  Only exception would be if you were a PRIVATE contractor.
As for COLA  if you are FERS you do not get a COLA until you are 62.  As for it being given assuming Congress does not take it away the "projected COLA is at 3.4%  but Bloomberg says the expectation is that CPI went down in June. The COLA will be based on the change from third quarter 2008 to the third quarter of this year payable in the Jan 2012 annuity payment.
stevenyanowsky  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 11:41:33 PM(UTC)
stevenyanowsky

I knew there had to be a catch to that COLA.  It was too good to be true.  Its not fair that early out retirees get nothing in the form of a raise until they are 62 .  What a ripoff.

Thank you for the other information.

postalvet  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:29:48 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
stevenyanowsky wrote:
I knew there had to be a catch to that COLA.  It was too good to be true.  Its not fair that early out retirees get nothing in the form of a raise until they are 62 .  What a ripoff.

Thank you for the other information.

your cola has nothing to do with an early out, FERS people do not get cola until 62.  you know back in 2009 when you were thinking about retiring and you were posting on that other forum we discussed all this.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
OregonGuy  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 9:22:18 AM(UTC)
OregonGuy

I too just got a 79.00 on the test.  Boy was I angry.  I came out of the testing facility feeling like I may have actually nailed it 100%.  I took practice exams and always scored over 90%.  The actual test seemed easier than the practice exams.  I had more than adequate time to memorize the coding sheet, which was my biggest concern.  So a couple of hours after I take the test, I logged onto a computer and saw my 79.00.  Of course the results don't break up the exam to show me which sections had mistakes.  

I'm pretty confident that I scored well in sections A-C.  I think the personality (D) section had a large impact.  It was recommended to be honest in that section and not to exaggerate good qualities because that might bring down your score.  I think there are two possibilities.  I either gave too many positive traits to their liking and came across as artificial, or I simply filled out too many answers in the mediocre range.  For example, let's say you have to pick an answer as Always, Sometimes, Rarely, or Never.  If there is a point system such as 3,2,1,0 for these answers (sometimes the point value would swap priorities) then every time you answered Sometimes or Rarely in this example, you'd be losing a point by not choosing Always or Never.  I tended to vote in the middle and only answered some of the questions as Always or Never.

But I've read that your answers in section D are pooled in with several other test takers and your score is determined on how you compare with how other people answered the questions.

79.00 looked ugly.  But it looks like I'm in good company after I found this forum.  Thanks for having this discussion.  The web is full of garbage information on what a good score on the 473 exam would be.  
SyacuseSoldier  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 9:09:33 PM(UTC)
SyacuseSoldier

I felt the same way when I took the 473, I thought I nailed it but I ended up with a 83.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed