Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
yulacu  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 9:42:48 AM(UTC)
yulacu

Groups: Registered

I am currently 11.5 months into a GS-6,7,8 position. I'll be permanent and get a grade increase to GS-7 in a few weeks. I recently interviewed for a term, not to exceed 2 years, GS-9,11,12 position. The interview panel seemed concerned about me leaving a potentially permanent position for a term position. Does anyone know how taking a term position would effect my FERS and TSP? Would I be able to apply for internal vacancies?
App Closed: 5/24/11<br />KSAs Submitted: 07/04/11<br />Interview: 07/15/11<br />Job Offer: 08/02/11<br />EOD:08/15/11<br /><br />App Closed: 11/14/12<br />Referred: 11/16/12<br />Interview: 11/26/12<br />Job Offer: 12/13/12<br />EOD: 1/13/13
Brothaman  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 9:51:31 PM(UTC)
Brothaman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yulacu,

Read this thread...I think it will help make the best decision..

http://federalsoup.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36728&FID=37&title=return-rights-from-term-ocOnus-position

No, you will not be able to apply for internal positions, unless you have Vet preference and the announcement states it.

You will not have reinstatement rights, because you did not finish your 3 years sentence the government
requires for career tenure.

Brothaman2011-07-12 06:03:16
IT-Fed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:58:25 AM(UTC)
IT-Fed

yulacu wrote:
I am currently 11.5 months into a GS-6,7,8 position. I'll be permanent and get a grade increase to GS-7 in a few weeks. I recently interviewed for a term, not to exceed 2 years, GS-9,11,12 position. The interview panel seemed concerned about me leaving a potentially permanent position for a term position. Does anyone know how taking a term position would effect my FERS and TSP? Would I be able to apply for internal vacancies?

re:  permanent - with 11.5 months, you aren't permanent, in approx 1/2 month, you will achieve career conditional tenure status.  You don't become permanent ("Career") until you complete 3 years of continuous permanent federal (civilian) service.  (Based on the information in your original post, you don't have previous civil service)

More straight to the point - no I would not accept any term positions right now, even if they are at a higher grade.  Agencies are being pushed to reduce budgets and employees.  The term/temporary positions are the first to be cut.  Accordingly you have no guarantees for future employment.

Last, if you are separated from federal employment, the effect on your TSP or FERS (retirement, is what I assume you are referring to), is null, other than you are eligible for refunds of moneys contributed. 

If you intend to remain a federal employee until retirement, plan for the long term, as opposed to what looks like quick grade/salary gains in the short term.
SF18C  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:36:43 AM(UTC)
SF18C

Dumbest move ever in my opinion.

I currently have a guy that took a higher rated, term position over his perm position.  (We are talking GS9 & 11) Well at the end
of this FY (Sept) he will be without employment and we do not have anther position available for his grade/series, the perm 9 was filled after he vacated.   I know he is regretting that decision he made a year ago and I am powerless to fix it at this point.

My advice…don’t
do it unless you want to face the very real possibility that you will be without
federal employment when the time frame for the position is up! Fed jobs will be fewer in the near future…watch the news!

confusedandwaiting  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:30:15 AM(UTC)
confusedandwaiting

I have to chime in with the others, DO NOT take the term position unless you are prepared to be unemployed at the end of the term.  It may look more attractive than what you have now, but it certainly will not if you end up without a job.  Think long term and not for what looks best right now.

My agency has tons of ARRA term people that will be looking for work at the end of their terms in 9/2012 and it is really sad.  They are great people and they have no control over what will happen to them.  I know some of them and they assumed that they would be converted to a perm position at the end of their terms and it looks like that just isn't going to happen.  Times are much tougher now than a year ago when they started and I've heard one or two say they passed up a lower paying perm job to take the term appointment.  They say they regret the day they did it.
Shaudius  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:02:35 AM(UTC)
Shaudius

I know a little bit about the specific circumstances of the OP. The thing you have to think about is this, you may be able to convert to the Attorney Advisor position for those 2 years, giving you a lot of flexibility in hiring as an attorney advisor later on when an office opens up those positions. The position is in a new hearing office, are they really going to shut down that hiring office after 2 years or are they gonna extend you at least the 2 additional years in the job posting in which case you'll have 4 years in and if they like you they'll be able to tell you about the recruitment notice that goes out to the local law schools before it comes out.

I know if I had been qualified at the 11 instead of not qualified at the 11 and been referred, I would take the job the OP is referring to. As it is I'm leaving SSA and taking a job with the VBA(although my new job is a permanent appointment).
yulacu  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:02:25 AM(UTC)
yulacu

Thanks everyone! I certainly have a lot to think about. To be clear, it isn't strictly about the money. I'm an attorney and I'm concerned about how much time I might end up spending as a non-attorney and how that might impact my long term career prospects. Even if the job wasn't renewed, I feel my long term prospects might be better with two years of actual attorney work on my resume. I do have an interview for the VA scheduled which isn't a term position. It also ladders to a 12 and wouldn't involve a serious relocation. It doesn't require a bar license though.
App Closed: 5/24/11<br />KSAs Submitted: 07/04/11<br />Interview: 07/15/11<br />Job Offer: 08/02/11<br />EOD:08/15/11<br /><br />App Closed: 11/14/12<br />Referred: 11/16/12<br />Interview: 11/26/12<br />Job Offer: 12/13/12<br />EOD: 1/13/13
MrGuy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:25:21 PM(UTC)
MrGuy

I would generally agree with the posters above.  However, given your concerns about your career as an attorney, it would be helpful to know what agency this position is for.  Some agencies have not been hit as hard as others, and I know of those currently going from 2 year term to perm.  Nevertheless unemployed lawyers are a dime a dozen these days.  Federal employment is not for the feint of heart. 

yulacu  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:16:32 AM(UTC)
yulacu

I currently work for SSA/ODAR and the attorney positions are with SSA/ODAR. They are all in new offices that are being opened.  I recently interviewed for a permanent RVSR position with the VA. It's a non-attorney position, but I feel it is a safer bet for long term job stability.
yulacu  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:26:38 PM(UTC)
yulacu

Thanks everyone for your responses. I decided to take the permanent position with the VA at a GS-9 that ladders to a 12 over the term position at a GS-11. The economy is rough and I prefer having status and gaining 52 weeks as a GS-9 over making GS-11 pay now and being unable to apply for internal vacancies.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed