Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lucette  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:57:23 AM(UTC)
Lucette

Groups: Registered

I imagine this question has been asked and re-asked on this board.  If so, I apologize for re-posting.

I'm wondering..for a GS-12 position, is there an average number of referred applications per position?  I was recently referred and I'm kind of curious re: how many people I'm up against..

Agency is USCIS (DHS).
2210again  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:28:39 AM(UTC)
2210again

I am screening 17 referred for one job as GS11 and 9 as GS12 though a couple were on both certs.
Lucette  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:56:20 AM(UTC)
Lucette

Thank you very much!
RetirednHappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:03:48 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

There is no specific answer to your question. Some certificates have dozens of (or upwards of a hundred) names, while other certificates may have only a few (less than 5); it all depends on the Agency, the job being announced, the series, and location in the country. Don't worry about that unknown quantity. If you have submitted the most thorough, complete resume you can, and it has been forwarded to the Selecting Official, your next step will most likely be an invitation for interview. This is your best opportunity to shine and separate yourself from the others who are also participating in the interview process. Find out as much information about the Agency, the local office where the job is being filled, and be prepared to demonstrate how you will positively contribute to the future success of that organization. In short, be prepared to sell yourself to the Selecting Official. Preparation and experience are the keys to a federal position hire.  Good luck Tongue !
bmj2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:08:04 AM(UTC)
bmj2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Varies way to much from job to job.  Also, my experience (which is only my opinion, not backed by statistical analysis) is even though there may be lot (100's) of applicants, the reality is maybe only 10% or less are actually qualified and capable of doing the job.  A lot of people shotgun everything in the hopes that they may get a random hit.  All that does is increase the noise to be sorted out.  And it doesn't take more than a few seconds to send those to the round file to get to the very few who are actually qualified.  

Discover what you are good and and what you want to do, then write the best application and demonstrate the best qualifications for that job and your odds go up greatly of being part of the "signal" that gets past the "noise."
Lucette  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:21:37 AM(UTC)
Lucette

Retired and bmj,
Thank you for your responses!
My resume is tailored to the only position I'm applying for.  Fortunately, so is my experience.  :)  But I trust that I'm up against some really well-qualified people.  I got a 99 on my NOR and wasn't referred for a different posting of the job, so I kind of figure that maybe I just barely squeezed in on this one or something, which makes me feel like maybe I won't get an interview?  But I agree it's best to be prepared for an interview, and to be prepared to sell myself.  That's a positive and proactive viewpoint.

BMJ, do you mean that some people who aren't actually qualified are referred to the SO?

Retired, do you have any ideas about how to learn about the local office where the job is?  I'm applying for Asylum Officer positions and I've spoken with former AOs about the job requirements, training, etc., but I'm at a loss re: learning about a particular Asylum Office. 
Lucette2011-07-17 10:27:04
Lucette  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:24:44 AM(UTC)
Lucette

Another question that I have is how long I should wait for a call for an interview before I give up on this position.  But I don't think anyone can answer that.  :)

bmj2  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:53:53 AM(UTC)
bmj2

There are two parts to that answer.  First, let's say 100 people apply for a job.  80-90 of those people won't even pass the basic qualifications to get passed on to the SO.  What we're talking here are people who shotgun applications out for every opening they see.    While they won't get referred, they clog up the system so your resume has to stand out from them to get passed on.

The second part answer, at least for the positions I've seen, is yes, HR occasionally passes along unqualified names to the SO.  In technical fields, an expert can quickly see who is qualified vs who is just "enhancing" their resume.  Their are many who can game the questionaire to appear qualified to HR, but fall apart under more detailed review.
titan2245  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:36:03 PM(UTC)
titan2245

bmj2 wrote:
There are two parts to that answer.  First, let's say 100 people apply for a job.  80-90 of those people won't even pass the basic qualifications to get passed on to the SO.  What we're talking here are people who shotgun applications out for every opening they see.    While they won't get referred, they clog up the system so your resume has to stand out from them to get passed on.

The second part answer, at least for the positions I've seen, is yes, HR occasionally passes along unqualified names to the SO.  In technical fields, an expert can quickly see who is qualified vs who is just "enhancing" their resume.  Their are many who can game the questionaire to appear qualified to HR, but fall apart under more detailed review.

I wouldn't go that far.  I've had a couple of interviews that have left me shaking my head in disbelief.  The people on the panel were FAR from experts.

2210again  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 5:06:41 AM(UTC)
2210again

You have to remember that in many cases the duty experts cannot conduct the interview,
IE GS-15 Director, with GS-14 Deputy and another GS-14 working for him
GS-13 Job, of which 2 GS-12s that work for the above chain of command make the cert, along with other outside applicants. They have to go outside of the chain to conduct interviews for them to be unbiased, in many cases you then have people who are somewhat versed but not experts.  
bmj2  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 11:58:03 AM(UTC)
bmj2

Didn't say the panel would always be experts.  Besides you don't always know what they are looking for in the panel.  Most likely, from what I've worked with, the experts have already culled most of the resumes for the couple who are real candidates. We often already know who the selection is before the panel meets.  All the panel is doing is formalizing the interview and checking for any personality gotcha's. 
ragman1171  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:16:46 AM(UTC)
ragman1171

2210again wrote:
I am screening 17 referred for one job as GS11 and 9 as GS12 though a couple were on both certs.

Those folks being considered, are they for one position? The reason I ask is, I've sent my info in for a listing in Germany that has four positions listed as avail on the posting. And, for four positions, about how many folks would see a NOR or even be contacted for an interview?
ragman11712011-07-19 08:27:44
Respects,<br />RAGMAN!!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed