Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Labor

The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.

In carrying out this mission, the Department administers a variety of Federal labor laws including those that guarantee workers' rights to safe and healthful working conditions; a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay; freedom from employment discrimination; unemployment insurance; and other income support. (DOL's mission statement)

Perhaps you are working for the DOL or interested in working for the DOL. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOL.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MDevo89  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 3:12:32 AM(UTC)
MDevo89

Groups: Registered

Has anyone applied and/or heard anything about the wage and hour invest. position in Springfield Missouri?? The closing date was June 20th.
colduphere  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:20:56 AM(UTC)
colduphere

Did not know this was posted. Did you apply and not hear anything after all this time?
MDevo89  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 12:20:56 AM(UTC)
MDevo89

I applied and was rated as one of the "best qualified". Just heard from HR again this past tuesday asking me to fill out a questionaire on application manager. I had previously filled out everything on the DOORs system. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
hardcharger79  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 2:15:16 AM(UTC)
hardcharger79

I was rated best qualified as well but no call from HR yet. MDevo89 are you a Vet?
colduphere  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 2:28:49 AM(UTC)
colduphere

Wonderful! i applied for this job elsewhere and did not get it.  I think its because Im not a veteran.  Hope that you are and are service-connected.  Good Luck.

MDevo89  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 3:13:38 AM(UTC)
MDevo89

I should clarify - got an email from HR, not a phone call. I am a vet, plus worked for the state auditor's office where we audited flsa, davis-bacon, etc. I am hoping with the experience and vet status I can get this job!!!
colduphere  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 3:21:46 AM(UTC)
colduphere

It is interesting to see who may or may not get jobs because you never know in the end.  Do you mind me asking if you are service-connected or have a degree? I hope your experience helps and wonder how much that weighs in picking an employee.  I would love insight on how to better qualify for these jobs.

MDevo89  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 3:27:22 AM(UTC)
MDevo89

I would like some more insight as well - just got notice I didn't get a tax fraud investigative assistant position with the irs - even though i have a degree, 10 years of audit experience to include fraud, etc. I am a 5 point preference vet - just got back from iraq.
hardcharger79  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 3:52:16 AM(UTC)
hardcharger79

Im a vet, 10%, BS in marketing/mgmt, will graduate with MA in Organizational Leadership next month. Have been a 911 dispatcher for the past 5 years
MDevo89  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 3:54:57 AM(UTC)
MDevo89

hardcharger - did you apply for the missouri position??
hardcharger79  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 3:58:50 AM(UTC)
hardcharger79

Nah, I applied to the Los Angeles announcement
Lawgrad09  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:57:27 AM(UTC)
Lawgrad09

Hi,

I'm an investigator in Boston. A few have PMd me asking what a typical day is like, and what to expect. I'm afraid there are no typical days. One day you could be doing Phone assistance, the next an agricultural inspection, and the next an FMLA investigation. It varies week to week, month to month. My District is very supportive of the "flex place" initiative, meaning you can work from home when you want. However, I hear that the other four regions aren't quite as supportive.

Also, I understand that other regions hold back promotions for needles reasons, but again, I have no official word on this.

One person posted here and said he heard that this a "stepping stone" to becoming a criminal investigator, which I found insulting. This job is way more complex, even if it isn't as dangerous. And here's something to consider: if you leave this agency to become an LEO, you will lose your grade. Why would you bail on a GS-12 position to go to work as a GS-7 just so you can carry a gun?

If you want to be an LEO, get a job at your local police department and then transitionin from there.
MDevo89  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 12:02:48 PM(UTC)
MDevo89

Lawgrad09 - thanks for the info, I appreciate hearing an insider's perspective.

Have you heard if they are filling the positions?? With all the budget issues and debt ceiling crisis makes it a little scary for those aspiring to work for the federal government.
MDevo89  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:45:57 PM(UTC)
MDevo89

Just got word through email, that even though I was among the best qualified I was not selected for this position. Is there anyway to find out the qualifications of the applicant who was selected so I can compare mine?? Also, as a vet preference applicant that was rated as best qualified I thought I would at least be interviewed. Any thoughts on this??
wundergov2b  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 12:56:11 AM(UTC)
wundergov2b

MDevo89 wrote:
Is there anyway to find out the qualifications of the applicant who was selected so I can compare mine??

Yes - submit a FOIA request through OPM: http://www.opm.gov/efoia/
hardcharger79  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 1:49:21 AM(UTC)
hardcharger79

MDevo89, sorry to hear that. I have not heard anything. If you dont mind me asking, what office did you apply to and for what GS level?
hardcharger79  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 1:52:20 AM(UTC)
hardcharger79

Disregard my last. I see you answered that question on the first page. For some reason I can't edit my previous post. Anyone hear anything about the Los Angeles vacancies?
letsgosuns  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:28:48 AM(UTC)
letsgosuns

I applied for every location. I was referred to the hiring official 5 times and have now received 4 rejections. I did not get an interview. In addition, I was told that for four different openings my resume wouldn't even be looked at because of status applicants/vets.
Melerkat  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:49:28 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

Log Jam. 

“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
DUSM1789  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 10:44:50 AM(UTC)
DUSM1789

Any news on the current hiring status for this job?  Looks as if it would be a good job, being a Wage and Hour Investigator.  Did anyone receive any offers yet?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed