Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NYC_Anonymous  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:21:18 PM(UTC)
NYC_Anonymous

Groups: Registered

Hello Everyone, 

I am currently in the hiring process as a TSO for the TSA and on the Candidate Dashboard it currently states my application has been stopped and I've made it to the background check part. A little information on me is that in July 2010 I applied for the TSA, passed the written assessment, passed the structured interview, but failed my Medical due to a detection of THC in my urine. I never smoked marijuana in my life nor does it interest me but I did have friends that used to occasionally smoke marijuana around me. Fast forward to April 2011 I reapply for the TSA, pass the structured interview again, and this time I do pass my Medical Examination. Now I am stuck in the next phase which is the background check but have yet to receive a letter stating why the process has been stopped. It has been close to 5 weeks since it has stated my application status is stopped. I hope that the detection of the THC in my urine will not hinder me in becoming a member of the TSA, especially considering the fact I have never tried marijuana in my lifetime. I am also wondering if maybe second hand smoke could have been an issue here? Also has anyone had any issues similar to mine or heard of anything like this happening? I also am hoping the TSA can take into consideration that I did pass my medical/drug screening the 2nd time around so they can see I am not a drug junkie or anything like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 
Bk101  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:37:54 AM(UTC)
Bk101

I have heard of this being an issue in polygraph but not in the medical. First time I am hearing you can have THC detected by second hand smoking? Maybe some expert can clarify!
Bk101  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:39:13 AM(UTC)
Bk101

Is it possible to test positive for THC (Marijuana / Cannabis) from exposure to second hand smoke? 
It is not! Urine concentrations of THC above the cut-off sensitivity level of the test, or a positive result, is possible only through use / inhalation. However, second hand smoke will be in the system, but not at the concentrations that would indicate drug abuse.

EMTGuard  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:07:29 AM(UTC)
EMTGuard

Since you failed a drug screen for a federal law enforcement/security position, I don't believe any agency will hire you for 3-5 years. It's just too recent not to mention a huge red flag.

barrin6  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:38:52 AM(UTC)
barrin6

Were they hot boxing the room you stayed in a week before you had your scheduled drug test?

most from the link that BK101 posted

"Will exposure to passive marijuana second hand smoke result in a positive marijuana test?
The most common excuse for a positive marijuana test is, "I was around some people who were smoking pot." Research has shownthat casual exposure to marijuana smoke will not produce a positive test. A person really has to work at being exposed to "passive" smoke to create a positive test. Very close confinement, without ventilation, with several smokers, for a period of over an hour, may result in a low, but measurable amount of marijuana in urine and blood. This demonstrates that even though the person may not have directly inhaled the smoke from a marijuana cigarette, they inhaled enough second hand smoke to get high. In our opinion, if a person tests positive for marijuana, the issue of whether they smoked the marijuana directly, or whether from intense and prolonged exposure to second hand marijuana smoke is irrelevant. The reasonable choice should be clear!"

barrin62011-07-24 17:45:28
ISO:<br />Written:08/17/11<br /><br />CBPO:<br />Applied: 07/11/11<br />Written: 07/25/11<br />TSL: 08/29/11<br />NOR: 08/30/11<br />Medical+PFT1:9/29/11 failed vision<br />VBT/SI:10/18/11
NYC_Anonymous  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:28:13 AM(UTC)
NYC_Anonymous

Well the issue is that I have never smoked marijuana so it is mind boggling to me that I failed the drug test in the first place. Once I found out that I failed the drug test, I made sure not to hang around people who smoked marijuana just because I was so paranoid of the second hand smoke effect. This is probably the reason why I passed the second drug test a few months later. According to the majority of the replies I have seen here, it seems as if you CANNOT fail a drug test due to second hand smoke. The doctor that called me last year to inform me of my drug fail, had informed me that it was possible to slip marijuana in food or something that I can ingest. I had no clue that was even possible? Bottom line is that this is disheartening news to say the least and I wish there was some way to get around it. 
JayhawkFan  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 1:27:22 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

You failed a drug test a mere year ago, and you really think that an agency is ever going to hire you?!?!? Don't try to feed us that line of crap about it being second hand smoke. You foolishly smoked some weed while in the hiring process and are now permanently disqualified from the position.

Use your brain here, even if you truly never have smoked marijuana, do you think the feds want someone working in an airport protecting our nation from terrorism who hangs out constantly with a bunch of druggies? Do you honestly believe that they can trust you to stop someone from bringing something illegal/dangerous on a plane when you hang out with people who are committing illegal activities right in front of you, and you do nothing? Are you so naive to believe that any employer, not just the feds, would hire you when you failed a drug test with them?

Here is my advice. Go apply at McDonalds, you will never work for TSA.

jamesjefferson  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 1:42:15 AM(UTC)
jamesjefferson

lol
sharkee  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:59:23 AM(UTC)
sharkee

If it walks like a troll...
JETFUEL  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:39:26 AM(UTC)
JETFUEL

This is one the best posts on the site!!

You have unfortunate taste in associates. It displays poor judgment. My advice would be to look for better quality friends, I suggest finding some who are gainfully employed. Maybe they can help you find a job, because the TSA won't be calling you back.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed