Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
monguin61  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 2:23:58 AM(UTC)
monguin61

Groups: Registered

I worked for a military contractor for a few years, and have an active DOD secret clearance. I recently moved on from that to a graduate research position for a national lab, which requires a DOE secret. I have been waiting for that transfer to go through for a few months. My contacts at my new job do not seem to know why it is taking so long. Does anyone have any similar experience or advice?

Thanks.
jhennessey  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 5:19:19 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear monguin61,

It is hard to know why this clearance-transfer is taking so long.

A DOE Secret-level clearance is referred to as a Level access.

DOE uses a slight different term for a security clearance, they (DOE) call it "Access Authorization" (AA) instead of a security clearance.

A DOD-Secret level clearance is the same a a DOE L (AA), same-same.

Since there was no "break" in service of 24 months or more, no red-flags, nor has the background investigation (bi) itself expired and (hopefully) no issue(s) that ocurred or discovered (after) being granted a Secret level clearance, and no changes in the SF-86, etc., it shouldn't take months to have this tranferred over.

My thought is that someone is proberly not doing his/her job.

Keep in regular (but polite) contact with your security dept.

Best to you,     Jim H.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
SCMAuthor  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:01:34 AM(UTC)
SCMAuthor

If the graduate research position is a federal job (vice contractor position), the problem is not the reciprocal acceptance by DOE of the DOD Secret clearance.  The problems is that the NACLC you had for the DOD contractor position is not the right investigation.  A new federal employee who needs a Secret (or "L" access authorization) from DOE must have a favorably adjudicated ANACI investigation, which fulfills the requirement for both federal employment suitability and an "L" access authorization.  In your case they could actually get by with only an NACI investigation since you already had an NACLC.
monguin61  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 11:29:43 AM(UTC)
monguin61

jhennessey, thanks for a lot of useful background info. 

SCMAuthor, you seem to have a good explanation for the delay. Would you expect them to have asked me for my history info, or would they just use what I had submitted for my previous clearance (3 years old by now)? I have not been asked for much of anything for my new position, certainly not comprehensive employment and residence information.

My employer is across the country from my school (where I live and work), so it is not exactly easy to talk to the right people. I think I will ask my contacts at the lab if I can have contact information for their security department - do you have any idea whether I can expect them to give me more information about the delay?
jhennessey  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 1:49:52 PM(UTC)
jhennessey

monquin61 stated:

I worked for a military contractor for a few years, and have an active DOD secret clearance. I recently moved on from that to a graduate research position for a national lab, which requires a DOE secret. I have been waiting for that transfer to go through for a few months. My contacts at my new job do not seem to know why it is taking so long. Does anyone have any similar experience or advice?

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jhennessey, thanks for a lot of useful background info.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Hennesey responded:

Dear Monquin61,

Please excuse my response to your original Posting.

I (perhaps) and possibly (wrongly) assume that because you were a DOD-Contractor that you had undergone a NACLC (National Agency Check, Law & Credit), used for Govt Contractors & Military personnel vice a ANACI (Access National Check with Inquiries), generally used for new federal employees and whose positions require a Secret-level clearance or a L-Access Authorization (AA) as referred to by DOE.

A ANACI basically has the same components of a NACLC, but with some Inquiries.

Because I read in your original Posting that you were a DOD-contractor, I understood a NACLC was conducted for your Secret.

Reading that you transferred to a DOE position (in the National Labs), I guessed (and perhaps wrongly) that you were still a Govt contract employee, as most National Lab employees are not actual federal employee or federal employee applicants.

If possible,  please advise if you are an actual federal employee (GS) or a federal employee applicant.

If that is the case, then "I stand corrected", your previous NACLC would be "up-graded" to an ANACI as an (actual) federal employee or federal applicant vice a DOE Govt-Contractor. Which then would explain by the other Poster the possible delays.

Which would then additionally (help) explain the delay in the transfer of your DOD-Secret clearance to your new status as a federal employee requirng a ANACI which needed to be "up-graded" from the NACLC mentioned.

I do appreciated the "professional courtesy" extended to enlighten + educate me from other Poster on this matter. 

Best to you,    Jim H.   

Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
monguin61  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:31:32 AM(UTC)
monguin61

I do not believe that I am officially a federal employee in any sense. In both my old and new job, the paychecks come from the university, although the funding ultimately comes from the military. 

I am unclear on the distinction between "actual federal employee (GS)" and "federal employee applicant".

monguin612011-07-27 12:37:22
Rss Feed  Atom Feed