Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HHS

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Source: www.hhs.gov/about/

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lola_ATL  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 10:56:47 PM(UTC)
Lola_ATL

Groups: Registered

Hi-

I am a new hire on probationary status (ends Aug 26) and received notice from my supervisor on July 18th that my performance was unsatisfactory and I would be put on a PAP.  This was completly shocking since my end year review went well, I received a Fully Successful ranking and a bonus.  Not sure how or why things deteriorated so quickly, but it looks like she wants to fire me (I believe it's budget related - our agency took a big hit).  So my question is: what are the implications for not making my probationary period as opposed to resigning?  I am OK with losing the position (it's an AWFUL working environment) but I am concerned about how this looks for future govt applications.  Specifically, is it true that if you don't meet the probabtionary period (and are terminated for non-performance) you cannot work for the Fed govt again (or it's nearly impossible to do so)??

I meet with my supervisor today at 3:30 to learn the outcome of my PAP....please advise if I should resign or be terminated.  The only complication is that I REALLLLLY need the unemployment and I would lose eligibility if I resign.

Thanks!
Texmex  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:35:32 AM(UTC)
Texmex

Lola, I know this is late but it sounds to me like you don't enjoy your job and would rather quit and if that is the case then by all means do so, especially if there are better things for you on the horizon.

I think you are being placed on what people in my agency call a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan), which is a plan to help improve an employee's performance. It should consist of goals, pre-established measures, and counseling sessions to chart your performance to bring you back up to fully successful or better. An employee is usually given 60-90 days to become proficient in the area again before adverse action can be taken against you, which could include reassignment, demotion, or termination; however, generally an employer is not looking to fire its employees but must ensure that you are capable of performing the requirements of the job at an acceptable performance level. A PIP is just a method of notifying you of any deficiencies and allowing you time to improve your performance so that you do not feel blindsided if any adverse action were to be taken against you.
RetirednHappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:35:18 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

Lola,  Be aware that your probationary status date (26 August) is far more important than a 60-90 day period for PIP improvement. Management can terminate your employment before 26 August with minimal performance data. You will NOT have Merit System Protection Board (MSPB) appeal rights as a probationary employee. Review that Performance Improvement Plan immediately and schedule a frank discussion with your supervisor ASAP! You both need to be on the same page, (which hopefully would indicate improved, satisfactory job performance).  Good luck Tongue
Rss Feed  Atom Feed