Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
magic462  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 11:33:58 AM(UTC)
magic462

Groups: Registered

I just applied for a job with the department of the army, and job description has for the test administrator is use ur personal vehicle and they will reimburse for travel expences but I dont want to add mileage on my new car which is the problem. My question would it get me fired if I asked the bossed if i could use a government official vehicle instead?

Thanks
Ryos  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:08:29 AM(UTC)
Ryos

For a position like that, the odds are you would be traveling frequently, in which case a government vehicle would be required frequently.  Given the fact you wouldn't be all that high up the chain, your request will be denied and if you won't use your vehicle as stated by the job description, you'll be canned or reassigned.  Remember, it's just like being a pizza delivery worker who won't drive his/her car.  If you can't do the job, you can't do the job.

You could always buy a junker car if you just really don't want to use your fancy vehicle.
magic462  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:39:36 AM(UTC)
magic462

yea i was thinking the same to buy a small car...but the pay is pretty good 24,717 starting salary and tops off at 31k
Co13999  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:39:22 AM(UTC)
Co13999

Hi, 
I also applied for the Test Administrator positions throughout NYC. I was wondering if anyone had more info on this position. I know that the position is advertised as intermittent, but what exactly does intermittent mean? Is it possible to get 40-hrs or even overtime throughout the week in one of these positions or are you looking at much less? And is this a newly created civilian title/position within the military?

Co13999  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:39:13 PM(UTC)
Co13999

Hi, 
I also applied for the Test Administrator positions throughout NYC. I was wondering if anyone had more info on this position. I know that the position is advertised as intermittent, but what exactly does intermittent mean? Is it possible to get 40-hrs or even overtime throughout the week in one of these positions or are you looking at much less? And is this a newly created civilian title/position within the military?

Flight_Medic  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 3:05:29 PM(UTC)
Flight_Medic

Co,

I am currently a Test Administrator. I can tell you that on average you will do 1 to 2 test sessions per week, if that. Typically the test session, due to very strict time guidelines, will last about three hours total. That is why it is classified as Intermittent. You also get paid for your drive time, I will drive upwards of two hours to get to a testing site, and also for your miles.

This is the perfect job for someone who has a flexible schedule. I can tell you from what I have seen the chances of getting FT hours, or even a good amount of PT hours, are slim.

To answer the use of a government vehicle... There is not a shot. Your ESS, TCO and others are using any allotted vehicle for themselves. Keep in mind your only driving upwards of a couple hours, at most, one or twice a week. The others are averaging thousands of miles a month.

With all that being said I love this job, it affords me the opportunity to still be associated with the Army and also fits perfect into my lifestyle.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Due to the nature of the job there are things that I will not disclose.

Co13999  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 11:10:33 PM(UTC)
Co13999

Thanks FM, that clears somethings up. But I must say, I'm a little disappointed with the limited hours. I was hoping for a minimum of 20-hrs per week. Do you think that downstate (NYC) can average a few more test per week then your area or around 20-hrs per week? 
Flight_Medic  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 11:42:18 PM(UTC)
Flight_Medic

Co,

Honestly I would be doubtful. There are a couple of reason, that I would like to explain, as to why I am doubtful. Hopefully this will also bring a little more light to the job.

First, this program comes from being overseen by the OPM and has been recently transferred to USMEPCOM. That being said there are current OPM personnel that are having to reapply for the position, without veterans preference per regulation.  With all of this being the case, take into account the current/ transferring OPM Test Administrators, and the additional "new" MEPCOM TA's and you can imagine that will make up a large number of TA's overall.

Second, it is my understanding that one of the big reasons for this transition from OPM to USMEPCOM is to reduce the current budget for TA's overall. It is the thought of the government that by bringing on 20 TA's that are paid about 10 hours per week it would be cheaper than bringing on 10 TA's that work 40 hours per week. Of course this may not seem like the cheaper option when you figure in paying for prep time, drive time, test time, post time and mileage pay, however you have to think that school is out of session during the summer and during most major holidays. Also take into account that a majority of test sessions will be scheduled over the course of 3 or so months, and the rest of the school year is slow for test sessions.

So as you can see that no matter your geographical location, you will still be limited in the total number of hours per week. I would venture to say that at the most, if the stars align and you get really lucky, you may be able to squeeze in about 25 hours in any single week as folows:

5 Sessions (One each day of the week)
Total Prep Time- 30 minutes Each = 2.5 Hours
Drive Time- 30 Minutes = 2.5 Hours
Test Time- 3 Hours = 15 Hours
Drive Time- 30 Minutes = 2.5 hours
Post Time- 30 Minutes= 2.5 Hours
---------------------------------------------------------
Total Time- 25 Hours

Again, this would IMHO an absolute miracle. As stated previously you will average about 1 - 2 test sessions per week, during the busy months. Also, keep in mind that I have made it clear to my TCO that I love to go to the school upwards of 100 miles and 2 hours away. This helps maximize my hourly wage along with my mileage pay.

Sorry this was long winded, but had someone laid things out this way for my I would have been better prepared... And yes, I would have still accepted the position.

Co13999  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:51:30 AM(UTC)
Co13999

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. 
Mom2klm  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:33:13 PM(UTC)
Mom2klm

Question--the USAJobs announcement shows the salary as being $30,000+. I imagine that would be if working a full time schedule. But since the job is intermittent, what would you say is the earning potential of the job?  Hourly wage?
Co13999  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:58:00 AM(UTC)
Co13999

I'm not a hundred percent sure. However, I would assume that the salary is prorated for the hours that are worked. 
Mom2klm  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:02:25 AM(UTC)
Mom2klm

So what does that work out to? Is it worth doing, I would have to work the hours around another job.

VeteransRus  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:16:15 AM(UTC)
VeteransRus

You would only work 1 month out of the yearShocked You drive to area schools and administer the ASVAB military entrance exam at the beginning of school year.
Flight_Medic  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:35:35 AM(UTC)
Flight_Medic

Mom,

The hourly wage depending on location pay would be about $13.75 per hour. As far as what you can expect to earn.... It will very greatly depending on the number of hours worked. I want to say that on average a TA will make just under, or around, $150 a week.

kpac04  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:58:39 AM(UTC)
kpac04

I am a new administrator, inprocessing next week, any info or advice you could pass along?  Things you wish you'd known starting off?

:)

K. & Kids

VeteransRus  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:48:15 AM(UTC)
VeteransRus

The job isn't worth the hassle! No benefits, no full time, time counts towards nothing in the government. You'd do better getting a paper route.
jrvanleer  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:53:25 AM(UTC)
jrvanleer

hey fm...i am a past uh-1 pilot trying to be a ta, are you with meps or opm? when will the meps take over and what does the position really do?   thanks, jon
gunship pilot pleiku
VeteransRus  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:42:45 PM(UTC)
VeteransRus

As the announcement said when you applied.... you are employed as a civilian for the Army. MEPS is a joint force. You will administer the test for Army recruiting.
With DoD downsizing, the TA will eventually be terminated and thats why it was posted as intermitent.
When I took the ASVAB and DLAB exams the recruiter took me to the downtown federal building where hundreds of us took it at once back in 1987. But then again, the Air Force was top notch and recruited the bestClap
Army sends TA's out to the boon-docks to try and snag some recruits.
Flight_Medic  
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:25:07 AM(UTC)
Flight_Medic

Vet,

I am not sure where you are getting your information but as far as I am scheduled I have had about 2-4 test sessions per week for the past couple of months. I will be the first to say that this should not be looked at as FT, or even enough to fully support yourself... That is certainly not the reason I do it.

FM
Flight_Medic  
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:33:10 AM(UTC)
Flight_Medic

VeteransRus wrote:
As the announcement said when you applied.... you are employed as a civilian for the Army. MEPS is a joint force. You will administer the test for Army recruiting.
With DoD downsizing, the TA will eventually be terminated and thats why it was posted as intermitent.
When I took the ASVAB and DLAB exams the recruiter took me to the downtown federal building where hundreds of us took it at once back in 1987. But then again, the Air Force was top notch and recruited the bestClap
Army sends TA's out to the boon-docks to try and snag some recruits.

Once again, I am not sure where you get your information. TA's do not administer tests for Army recruiting, and typically the test results are not released until the following summer to recruiters; this is decided by the school.

As for the Army sending TA's to the "boon-docks", again incorrect. I can tell you that I have gone to many different areas, some of which have been way out in the middle of nowhere, but I have also administered tests to very populated areas. One of the larger cities that I have personally administered a test in had a population of just fewer than 300,000. I have also tested groups of 7 and upwards of 200.

I cannot stress enough that when the proctors, recruiters, are on site they are there to assist the TA's, not recruit. If a TA notices that the recruiter is attempting to recruit or do anything outside of what they should be doing as a proctor then they are reported and the appropriate action is taken. Further, the recruiters come from all services, not just the Army, and report and take orders directly from the TA. This again protects against recruiting during the test session.

FM

Rss Feed  Atom Feed