Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beppo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:37:58 AM(UTC)
Beppo

Groups: Registered

Hi folks. I was a Casual Clerk for about a year, and recently I got "upgraded" to become a PSE Clerk.
I'm just wondering, Christmas time is when the post office hires Casuals (aka cheap labor) for much-needed assistance, how are things going to work if there are no more Casual Clerk positions? Are they going to hire a bunch of people as PSEs?
boober  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:39:56 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)

May not really be an issue anymore, what with the declines in volume. You might just get a bit more OT than usual. Clap

Or... I guess I should say more work than usual. Might just be more straight pay hours, and not more OT.

boober2011-08-21 09:54:11
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
rich1mc1  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:05:12 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

PSE's are the new casuals.  Same job,  just different title,  and a little more pay.
readytocheckout  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 5:44:50 AM(UTC)
readytocheckout

There are a few more differences between the former casual and the new PSE. After a year they can buy health insurance, they can join the union, and they can be considered for a career position in the future. Really not like a casual at all.
postalvet  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:23:52 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

southern calif did not hire any christmas casuals the last two christmas's.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Rosey  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:34:51 AM(UTC)
Rosey

My servicing plant in the Midwest did not hire casuals last Christmas either.

binthair  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:37:20 AM(UTC)
binthair

Readyto... The 3 "benefits" you mentioned (health ins, joining the union, possible career) only come into play if the PSE gets rehired after the break.  The first time around, other than earning leave and being guaranteed min. of 2 hrs for the day if scheduled,  the PSE will be treated a lot like a casual. The biggest thing for the PSE's is they could be let go at the whim of mgmt.  They'll be under the same pressure as casuals were, trying to impress their bosses with their work ethic (not that it's a bad thing) in the hope that they will be considered for career appointment down the line.   Good luck to you guys.
readytocheckout  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:20:09 AM(UTC)
readytocheckout

And most of them probably will be hired after the break.
Beppo  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:39:40 PM(UTC)
Beppo

I work in a major hub and last year there were at least 15-20 Christmas Casuals hired to help during the holiday season. I had been a Casual for just under a year when the holidays rolled around, and even with the extra help, I was averaging 50 hours a week. One week I did 70, so my plant is really gonna need the extra people. I asked management about it just out of curiosity and the shaking-head-and-laughing reply was, "They didn't think that far ahead, we'll have to see what happens."

Anyway, regarding the transition to PSE, Casuals still had to pass the 473 in order to even be considered for a PSE position, which was kind of sad because in my plant there were about 20 Casuals, most of whom had been working there for years and knew the job inside and out, but only 4 of us passed the test and got picked up. The other Casuals had to train the PSEs who were basically their replacements, doing the same job but getting paid about 50% more. The new PSEs who had never worked for the post office before were apparently briefed during orientation about possible resentment issues with the Casuals that they were hired to replace, which didn't surprise me when I heard about it.
The real kick in the teeth came about two weeks ago when our Casuals were told at the end of their shift (and a week earlier than expected), that their services would no longer be needed.
NECArrier  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:52:54 PM(UTC)
NECArrier

They are hiring carrier TEs and plant holiday casuals here (northern New England)
Cas  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 12:19:19 AM(UTC)
Cas

Beppo wrote:
I work in a major hub and last year there were at least 15-20 Christmas Casuals hired to help during the holiday season. I had been a Casual for just under a year when the holidays rolled around, and even with the extra help, I was averaging 50 hours a week. One week I did 70, so my plant is really gonna need the extra people. I asked management about it just out of curiosity and the shaking-head-and-laughing reply was, "They didn't think that far ahead, we'll have to see what happens."

Anyway, regarding the transition to PSE, Casuals still had to pass the 473 in order to even be considered for a PSE position, which was kind of sad because in my plant there were about 20 Casuals, most of whom had been working there for years and knew the job inside and out, but only 4 of us passed the test and got picked up. The other Casuals had to train the PSEs who were basically their replacements, doing the same job but getting paid about 50% more. The new PSEs who had never worked for the post office before were apparently briefed during orientation about possible resentment issues with the Casuals that they were hired to replace, which didn't surprise me when I heard about it.
The real kick in the teeth came about two weeks ago when our Casuals were told at the end of their shift (and a week earlier than expected), that their services would no longer be needed.

That happen to me, was a casual clerk since November, I applied for the PSE position and passed the test with low 80's. Somehow I wasn't  selected as a PSE. When late July came I had to help train PSE's knowing I wasnt going to be hired. Now i'm a casual mailhandler.  Not complaining because i'm still employed.
merrymerry6  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 1:49:56 AM(UTC)
merrymerry6

You had to help train people to do a job you weren't hired to do? That really sucks, but of course, it happens all the time.

Glad you're just happy to be employed. I am, too.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed