Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

13 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kokoro  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:28:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm inquiring about the Immigration Services Assistant position in Anaheim, CA. I received my NOR; my rating was a 94. 

Not sure if this is a good enough score, although the PJN did list it as having MANY vacancies.  Hopefully someone knows or works in the Asylum office to provide any details or updates regarding the position. 

Also, I applied to the latest ISA position located in Vermont. 
phillyva  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 10:02:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

If you were referred you would have gotten a letter of referral if you didn't get anything after the NOR then you weren't referred.

Kokoro  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:41:18 AM(UTC)

Yeah...I've been applying to several different fed jobs for over 3 yrs now--and have always been found eligible, but never referred. I'm educated and have good qualifications. I work in immigration and am familiar with DHS/CIS systems...don't know what else more I can do to actually get selected and hired.
Beagle1AD  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:28:41 AM(UTC)

Kokoro wrote:
Yeah...I've been applying to several different fed jobs for over 3 yrs now--and have always been found eligible, but never referred. I'm educated and have good qualifications. I work in immigration and am familiar with DHS/CIS systems...don't know what else more I can do to actually get selected and hired.

What CIS systems are you familiar with? E-verify?

Beagle1AD2011-09-04 15:33:56
Kokoro  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:08:33 AM(UTC)

Beagle1AD : pm'd u.
cinnamoncau  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:53:31 AM(UTC)

I have an interview on Sept 14 in mt. laurel nj. Hopefully I get this position. I scored a 99 on my NOR if that helps
futurefed2?  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:17:09 AM(UTC)

Congrats on the interview my account says referred for selection so I guess i am waiting to interview too as well just curious did you have any vets preference?

cinnamoncau  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:27:08 AM(UTC)

No I do not have vet's preference or any other special hiring preference.
futurefed2?  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:29:06 AM(UTC)

That's great... I wonder how many people are interviewing there. I chose Newark over mt. Laurel because I though it was bigger and would have more openings.

Out of curiosity do you think mt laurel had a lot of positions available?

futurefed2?  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:32:58 AM(UTC)

Anybody know what kind of interviewing they do for this position? Behavioral/situational? Panel?

Also any thoughts on this? Is it safe to say if you get an interview that it's your position to lose? I mean why waste their time or yours to call you in for an interview if they have no intentions of hiring you? They see your resume, transcripts, and vacancy questionnaire before they even schedule the appointment.
cinnamoncau  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:30:48 AM(UTC)

I chose mt laurel because I thought philadelphia wouldn't have enough spaces and I wanted to ensure I would get hired. Typically with the government its a mix of questions the ones are generally pulled from your resume "tell me about yourself" or be ready to explain any question marks on your resume. the other part of the interview is behaviorial.."Tell me a time when_______". Just have plenty of examples or stories to draw from. Interviewing is really a more complicated form of storytelling
futurefed2?  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:16:21 AM(UTC)

That's what I'm saying they cut the pool down so much by vet preference, ratings, geographic preference etc. That's why I wonder is it a somewhat of a formality. I mean if they have more than a few positions available at one site I'm sure the candadite list is knocked down considerably.
LindaS  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:41:36 PM(UTC)

I think they also need to determine if the candidates can actually comfortably speak to strangers as that is a large part of the job. Some people are great on paper and not at all in person.
cinnamoncau  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:46:43 PM(UTC)

Isn't that the reason why they interview to see if you are a fit? For my internship with the fda, I didn't interview they picked me from my paper credentials. I was a great fit and I had to interact with visitors as well. It just depends on the risk, whenever. U hire someone it is a risk
futurefed2?  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:34:24 AM(UTC)

I didn't mean to open a can of worms I just was thinking out loud is all. I've been rated so I high in a tin of jobs 95, 96 etc and most times I don't get referred for selection. In referred to selecting official an just checked my inbox I got an email to interview in Newark now so I'm happy!
cinnamoncau  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:28:01 AM(UTC)

Congrats! U will do well
futurefed2?  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:20:36 AM(UTC)

Thanks! I just want to show up on time and present well :) hopefully there really is a few openings and I can get one lol

The guy who called said they were doing interviews Monday and Tuesday. So I wonder if they are interviewing 30 people for 3 jobs lol
futurefed2?  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:06:05 AM(UTC)

Cinnamon tomorrow is the day right? Good luck!!! Be sure to let us know how it went!

8nnrr  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:26:40 PM(UTC)
PinkIO

Hey Futurefed when is ur interview? I also have one for Newark on the 20th...PinkIO2011-09-14 07:34:02
cinnamoncau  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:55:29 AM(UTC)

I just got back from the interview. It went well! They ask basic questions , what are you strength and weaknesses, or how do you deal with irate customers?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed