Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JDoe  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:09:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

So, I am 23 and just graduated from college in May.  I am currently attempting to get a job in the federal government.  I have applied to a few places, but have yet to have any luck finding a job.

What jobs out there should I search for (that are always hiring and not hard to get)?

Also, is there any advice on how I should fill out my resume to make it stand out from the rest?  Any books/websites that state how to do that?

Thanks for any help with this.

luckyirish676  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:19:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
HA, to be honest, even a job you wouldnt think was "popular" is hard to get when it comes to the FED. What is your degree in?

As for resumes, they are books but I can't think of any names. Longer is better, unlike private jobs where you try to keep it to one or two pages. Just stick around here, read posts and you may quickly find this isnt quite what you think it is.
govt_cog  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:21:20 AM(UTC)

JDoe wrote:
So, I am 23 and just graduated from college in May.  I am currently attempting to get a job in the federal government.  I have applied to a few places, but have yet to have any luck finding a job.

What jobs out there should I search for (that are always hiring and not hard to get)?

Also, is there any advice on how I should fill out my resume to make it stand out from the rest?  Any books/websites that state how to do that?

If you are fresh out of college your best bet is to continue applying to fed jobs, but to make sure you get any kind of substantive work experience asap. This means also looking at private and nonprofit sector stuff. Even if you do get lucky and get an interview, etc, the process can be very long and you will find yourself wasting time/spinning your wheels if you're only applying for fed jobs while not working elsewhere.

Also, I'm of the opinion that your goal shouldn't just be to get a federal job, but to work with a specific agency/type of agency, or to work in a specific field. That way you can be actively working to create that career path and build up your resume en route to the fed job opportunity which will hopefully eventually come around.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
nvan on 11/14/2017(UTC)
rabbitdog99  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:52:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

TSA Screener.

Or you could join the Navy and fly jets off aircraft carriers.  (you'll need 20/20 vision for that.)

Tony  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:16:00 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had absolutely no issues getting a federal job. Of course the jobs I applied for were at agencies that literally hire thousands every year. Also I had to relocate to the south west border of the US and my duty station is in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Oh and I had to complete a 1 year hiring process, 3 month academy, and learn spanish.

job forlife  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:50:11 AM(UTC)

Try the SES rout it only requires a HS diploma
rabbitdog99  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:52:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Rugger_ wrote:
rabbitdog99 wrote:

Or you could join the Navy and fly jets off aircraft carriers.  (you'll need 20/20 vision for that.)

That's not true. 

Okay, but it was at one time.  What is it now?

spacecowboy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:06:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
What is interesting, is that the "easiest" jobs to get, a person with a college degree gets frustrated, and does not want to put in the time, to move up. I would look at jobs at IRS, GS-5, Social Security, Claims Rep..this job is like working in a coal mine, hooked to a 5 foot cable, 40 hours a week, answering calls constantly. Only people who really need a job, make the cut here. Most blow out within 9 months...they can't take it.
titan2245  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:09:41 PM(UTC)

rabbitdog99 wrote:
Rugger_ wrote:
rabbitdog99 wrote:

That's not true. 

Your sort of right.  A Bachelors is the only educational requirement to become an Officer. 

Passing all of the IQ/Personality/Background/Medical tests successfully (most don't) and getting picked by the selection board is a different matter.  The people that make it this far 
attend OCS which had a 65% attrition rate when I went through.

If someone actually makes it through OCS and gets a Commission, the person would have to make it through 2-3 years of flight school.

Besides someone looking for the "easiest" federal job to get, doesn't have what it takes to be an Officer anyway.
titan22452011-09-01 23:17:46
Big Sarge  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:17:19 PM(UTC)

JDoe wrote:
  I have applied to a few places, but have yet to have any luck finding a job.

Try one of the military service components.  If you plan on learning or developing REAL skills in order to remain competitive in ANY job market today, the military is the way to go.  Don't expect for just a college degree to make you more qualified than anyone else. 
MFTECFH (Members for the Elimination of Corruption in Federal Hiring)
hustonj  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:08:08 PM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 322 time(s) in 259 post(s)
I think the easiest Federal job to get is enlisted Soldier.

The Army still turns people away, though.
Steve  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 1:22:51 AM(UTC)
ITBOSS

JDoe wrote:

Check out the USAF Palace Acquire Program

Or look into Active Duty Officer opportunities.
titan2245  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 5:20:14 AM(UTC)

Rugger_ wrote:
titan2245 wrote:
rabbitdog99 wrote:
Rugger_ wrote:
rabbitdog99 wrote:

That's not true. 

Your sort of right.  A Bachelors is the only educational requirement to become an Officer. 

Passing all of the IQ/Personality/Background/Medical tests successfully (most don't) and getting picked by the selection board is a different matter.  The people that make it this far 
attend OCS which had a 65% attrition rate when I went through.

If someone actually makes it through OCS and gets a Commission, the person would have to make it through 2-3 years of flight school.

Besides someone looking for the "easiest" federal job to get, doesn't have what it takes to be an Officer anyway.

attrition is about 10% now. Dont think it was ever 65 percent with BUDS being between 85-90. 
It was roughly 63% for my class, about 62 started and 23 commissioned.  That number is strictly derived from the number that started in my class and the number that graduated with the class.  The 39 that didn't make it with the class includes DOR's/medical drops/rolls and performance rolls (some of the med rolls and performance rolls graduated with another class so they wouldn't be considered attrition in a big picture way).

I would be surprised if the attrition rate were currently as low as 10%.  As always, the devil is in the definition, so if they are utilizing the med/performance roll number to reach the attrition rate and ignoring the DOR's (the largest number) then 10% seems reasonable.

Additionally, OCS at least for the Navy (and i'd assume the other services) is the easiest place to turn the manpower spigot on or off.  If the manpower projections are saying you need more Officers 10 years from now,  you turn on the OCS spigot and let more try.  As an example, if you know that in ten years you'll have a shortfall of 200 O-4's and the retention rate is 50% for Officers that commission through OCS and OCS has a 50% attrition rate, it's pretty easy to figure out that you need 800 Officer candidates to walk through the doors at OCS and try to get a comission that year to produce 200 O-4's ten years from now.  (obviously this is a generalized and simplistic description of the process but it's fine for this discussion).

Tweaking the manpower requirements at the Academy or ROTC (scholarship) level is much more difficult and the government already has a higher sunk cost for production.
titan22452011-09-02 13:50:49
skunker  
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2011 5:57:40 AM(UTC)

learning to fly is the easiest part of becoming a military pilot. It's always the books and regulations that cuts people out. Anyways, that's off-topic.

Sea Salt  
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:04:55 AM(UTC)

College is a waste of time. Join the military and learn some real work skills. Why do you think the federal government is hiring veterans and not college graduates?

Easy answer. College is worthless.
ladyw  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 12:41:16 PM(UTC)
ladyw

United States

Originally Posted by: JayhawkFan Go to Quoted Post
I had absolutely no issues getting a federal job. Of course the jobs I applied for were at agencies that literally hire thousands every year. Also I had to relocate to the south west border of the US and my duty station is in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Oh and I had to complete a 1 year hiring process, 3 month academy, and learn spanish.

Hello, may you please share agencies that literally hire thousands every year? Could you help list them? Thanks
Beam Reach  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 2:05:55 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 260 time(s) in 222 post(s)
Well, in all fairness, his comment was six years ago.

BackGdInvestigator  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 4:15:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 86 post(s)
From his description - it sounds like he was talking about the Border Patrol.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
someoldguy  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 8:20:10 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 962 time(s) in 810 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BackGdInvestigator Go to Quoted Post
From his description - it sounds like he was talking about the Border Patrol.

That does sound like Border Patrol but Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer is similar... most opportunities at remote border crossings along the Southwest border.

Getting a federal job seems to be about the process: Apply. Forget. Repeat.

Apply to any job that you are willing to take (even better if your background actually meets the requirements);
Forget you applied because it may be months before you are contacted, if at all, and you'll go nuts waiting; and
Repeat because in many ways, its a numbers game.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
TheFrederalGovt  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 11:48:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
GS-7 poaitions that say many vacancies

Originally Posted by: JDoe Go to Quoted Post
So, I am 23 and just graduated from college in May. I am currently attempting to get a job in the federal government. I have applied to a few places, but have yet to have any luck finding a job. What jobs out there should I search for (that are always hiring and not hard to get)?Also, is there any advice on how I should fill out my resume to make it stand out from the rest? Any books/websites that state how to do that?Thanks for any help with this.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed