Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HHS

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Source: www.hhs.gov/about/

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PatriotBound  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:27:32 AM(UTC)
PatriotBound

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

I have applied dozens and dozens and dozens of times and never gotten anywhere this close.  In fact my last thread here was about a Hiring Manager's contact information being included in the notice that I was still in consideration. Ha!

Today I receive an email from someone at HHS for a position I applied for, a term-limited 2 year NTE, in health info technology (HIT), for a quick 10-15 min phone call tomorrow.

I don't know what to think!!  Family members advice was just be cool, talk about what you know, since this is so casual, only 10-15 mins, they just want to get a sense of what you've done, they won't be quizzing you...  but this is just family advice.

I am extremely excited, worried, and nervous.  This would be a frickin' phenomenal opportunity!  Similarly, I do believe I am well-qualified, and probably people like me are in short supply, considering I work for a smaller HIT company and really get to be in the meat of things.

It's a Policy Analyst position at HHS for HIT.  GS-11-12.  I have 1+ year of GS-9 service so I qualify for GS-11. 

First time this has ever happened!!

Experienced people, especially HHS vets!!!, please help -- what can I expect?? What should I know??  How close am I here??

Thanks,

PB

Snork  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:58:41 PM(UTC)
Snork

Are you considering leaving a position for a term position?
evalgal  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 2:01:10 AM(UTC)
evalgal

Congratulations on the interview.  The phone interview (in my experience) is to determine if the candidate will continue to the "shorter" list for a face-to-face interview.  In other words, there will be a few questions asked that will help them determine if/how much knowledge/experience you have in a particular area.  Your answers will be assigned a score so be certain that yu give concrete examples of your knowledge/experience. 

Reread the Self Assessment questionairre because these questions will give you a sense of the skills they need for this particular position.  Remember, it is a 10-15 minute discussion.  Have one question ready to ask them - such as, what is the first challenge this position will likely need to accomplish?  What does short term success for this program look like?

Also, have a sheet of paper in front of you and write down their questions.  When you have a face-to-face interview it will be helpful to review the questions and what they were focussed on.
Relax. Your answers will validate that you have the skills they are looking for.  Best of luck to you!
IT-Fed  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 4:28:25 AM(UTC)
IT-Fed

PatriotBound wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have applied dozens and dozens and dozens of times and never gotten anywhere this close.  In fact my last thread here was about a Hiring Manager's contact information being included in the notice that I was still in consideration. Ha!

Today I receive an email from someone at HHS for a position I applied for, a term-limited 2 year NTE, in health info technology (HIT), for a quick 10-15 min phone call tomorrow.

I don't know what to think!!  Family members advice was just be cool, talk about what you know, since this is so casual, only 10-15 mins, they just want to get a sense of what you've done, they won't be quizzing you...  but this is just family advice.

I am extremely excited, worried, and nervous.  This would be a frickin' phenomenal opportunity!  Similarly, I do believe I am well-qualified, and probably people like me are in short supply, considering I work for a smaller HIT company and really get to be in the meat of things.

It's a Policy Analyst position at HHS for HIT.  GS-11-12.  I have 1+ year of GS-9 service so I qualify for GS-11. 

First time this has ever happened!!

Experienced people, especially HHS vets!!!, please help -- what can I expect?? What should I know??  How close am I here??

Thanks,

PB
First, congratulations!

Last, and most importantly, this is anything but a "casual" event.  Do not be fooled by the short duration telephone conference/interview. 

As evalgal has indicated, be prepared; the sole purpose of this call is to separate those from the next level and follow-on interview possibility.  While not "casual," do approach it calmly.  Remember to smile; this comes over even during telephone interviews!

Good luck!
PatriotBound  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:28:07 PM(UTC)
PatriotBound

Thanks very much everyone!

For some reason these topic notifications were going to my SPAM box so I didn't see any replies --

Yes!! Would absolutely leave for a 2-year term gs-11 position, I think this is a very good position!!

Thanks to both for the advice, I actually was INCREDIBLY prepared -- I didn't ask a question though, wish I had.  I did begin to ramble a little bit about halfway through, but I think I recovered.

On Tuesday, I emailed the interviewer with a perhaps too lengthy email saying Thank You and attaching my cover letter and two writing samples (which I included with the application bundle, but appears was not sent with my resume), and some marketing examples because she thought my marketing experience was limited to sales talk.

No Response.

On Wednesday, TODAY, I called her and talked for 2 mins.. She was very nice said she received my mail and forwarded it to her Director..  She said she wasn't sure if they would make interview notifications today or tomorrow or next week b/c director was out of town. 

5 hours later, I get an email saying that had been granted a stage of 4 interviews as the next step in selection!!!  They want me to talk to 4 team memers for 30 min and provided me times, and I can choose the phone or in person at my own cost.  This happened at 4pm and I haven't responded as I was weighing my options and whether I was going to fly there.

I am going to repsond tomorrow morning and fly there to meet 3 of the 4 ppl, and will talk to 1 the day before over the phone.

QUESTIONS:
--- In Person over phone, Right??

--- Was my persistence a good thing??

--- How close am I to getting the job?? Am I crazy to be very cautiously optimistic??

--- Any other tips going forward???

THANKS

PB

nomad26  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:32:36 AM(UTC)
nomad26

I would Drive or Fly, if its not an issue for you.   

DoD Civilian EOD 2011 >> VA EOD 2012 >> DoD Civilian overseas (still looking)
PatriotBound  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:15:52 PM(UTC)
PatriotBound

Flew in for the interview Friday...

If anyone's interested in hearing how it went, please respond and I'll type it up.

Thx

PB
PluckyCharmz  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2011 1:36:12 AM(UTC)
PluckyCharmz

I finally landed a phone interview for next week! First one ever.

PluckyCharmz  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2011 1:55:43 AM(UTC)
PluckyCharmz

PatriotBound wrote:
Flew in for the interview Friday...

If anyone's interested in hearing how it went, please respond and I'll type it up.

Thx

PB

I'm interested in hearing how it went.
TheFrederalGovt  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2011 2:36:20 AM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

Me too. Did you get my email. I think I know a lot about the office that you are referring to and can provide you some insight if you would like.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed