Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vtboyarc  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 11:54:26 AM(UTC)
vtboyarc

Groups: Registered

Hello all, I'm new here, been reading through the forums for some time. 
I applied to the TSA for the TSO position in April, just passed the Airport Assessment yesterday, have my medical tomorrow (moving fast so far!). 
On the TSA website, under benefits, it says "Personal leave days for vacation, illness, and family care",  I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how many days per year that is. 
Also, another benefit listed is "Transportation subsidies" can anyone here go into a little detail as what that entails? 
Thanks  lot for the help and I hope to be done with the hiring process and starting work soon. 
mrbsf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 12:35:42 PM(UTC)
mrbsf

For the first 3 years of federal employment (assuming no prior creditable federal time) you will earn 13 days of annual leave and 13 days of sick leave per year.  For years 3-15 you will earn 20 days of annual leave and 13 days of sick leave per year.  As far as transportation subsidies this consists of partial reimbursement for the cost of mass transit (i.e. train, bus etc..).
vtboyarc  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:07:20 PM(UTC)
vtboyarc

mrbsf wrote:

For the first 3 years of federal employment (assuming no prior creditable federal time) you will earn 13 days of annual leave and 13 days of sick leave per year.  For years 3-15 you will earn 20 days of annual leave and 13 days of sick leave per year.  As far as transportation subsidies this consists of partial reimbursement for the cost of mass transit (i.e. train, bus etc..).

great, thanks so much for the reply! I'm surprised that over a 12 year period, years 3-15, it stays at 20 days and doesn't go up.
Also listed under benefits was 10 paid holidays per year, that is separate from the 13 days of annual leave, correct? Also, if I work on a holiday, can I have that day saved as a day off for use at a later time? 
180degrees  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:30:12 PM(UTC)
180degrees

You really don't get any holidays off unless they happen to fall on your regularly scheduled day off. When you do work a holiday, you get paid double time. You may not comp the time you worked a holiday or take a "floating holiday", you get your holiday pay and that is it. If you are a full-time employee and a holiday occurs on your day off, you still get paid 8 hours for the holiday. If you're a part-time employee and the holiday occurs on your day off, you do not get paid for it. (Most likely you will be part-time for about a year before you will be offered full-time). Part time employees can work overtime if available (Which is extra time since it's not over 40 hours/week) and you only get straight pay for it. If you're a full-time employee and are approved for overtime you can take it as straight comp time to use at a later date or you can also take it as time and a half pay.

They typically do not let part timers work more than 40 hours per week if they sign up for overtime. 
CBPO<br /><br />Applied - 11/16/10<br /><br />Written - 12/06/10<br /><br />NOR - 01/25/11 (100 No vet pts)<br />TSL - 01/09/12
vtboyarc  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:35:52 PM(UTC)
vtboyarc

180degrees wrote:
You really don't get any holidays off unless they happen to fall on your regularly scheduled day off. When you do work a holiday, you get paid double time. You may not comp the time you worked a holiday or take a "floating holiday", you get your holiday pay and that is it. If you are a full-time employee and a holiday occurs on your day off, you still get paid 8 hours for the holiday. If you're a part-time employee and the holiday occurs on your day off, you do not get paid for it. (Most likely you will be part-time for about a year before you will be offered full-time). Part time employees can work overtime if available (Which is extra time since it's not over 40 hours/week) and you only get straight pay for it. If you're a full-time employee and are approved for overtime you can take it as straight comp time to use at a later date or you can also take it as time and a half pay.

They typically do not let part timers work more than 40 hours per week if they sign up for overtime. 

awesome, thank you for the detailed reply! Hopefully if I work hard and stick with it I can get full time soon after I start. Is doing the split shifts different from being considered full time? 
180degrees  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:45:34 PM(UTC)
180degrees

I don't want to discourage you from working hard because it will pay off in dividends down the road but part-time to full-time conversion is based solely on seniority. Once you start working you will have to put in a request for full-time employment. They keep an inventory of everyone who has requested a full-time position and as a spot opens up they go down the list by seniority, not by the date you requested. Unfortunately the lazy bum who started a month ahead of you will be offered full-time before you, even though you never call out and do three times as much work as he does. Just the nature of the beast, for all intents and purposes I would plan on the year timetable for conversion of part-time to full-time just so you have a realistic plan in place if you need to obtain a second job (Like many part-timers do). TSA is not the same environment it used to be, secure jobs are so scarce these days that folks are hesitant to leave a secure federal job, therefore there is less turnover. Also, due to the economy, the applicant pool for any given federal job has increased significantly in terms of talent, so it's much more difficult for TSA employees to transition to other agencies and positions. I'm not saying it's impossible, just more difficult, so fewer employees leaving for other agencies means fewer full-time positions opening up at any given airport.

I cannot comment on split-shifts, as far as I know they are a thing of the past and are no longer offered to incoming employees but I could be wrong. Someone else may want to chime in here, I know this was the case for the airport I was involved with. 

Good luck.

180degrees2011-09-01 21:51:28
CBPO<br /><br />Applied - 11/16/10<br /><br />Written - 12/06/10<br /><br />NOR - 01/25/11 (100 No vet pts)<br />TSL - 01/09/12
mrbsf  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 12:51:33 AM(UTC)
mrbsf

That's correct, split shifts are being slowly phased out due to concerns of fatigue and of course the need to pay the 8% differential.  You are also correct, that conversions to full-time are usually done by seniority.  The one year time frame you gave for conversion is a good average, although at some smaller Cat 1 and Cat 2 airports it could take much longer maybe 2-3 years.
vtboyarc  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 1:03:11 AM(UTC)
vtboyarc

180degrees wrote:
I don't want to discourage you from working hard because it will pay off in dividends down the road but part-time to full-time conversion is based solely on seniority. Once you start working you will have to put in a request for full-time employment. They keep an inventory of everyone who has requested a full-time position and as a spot opens up they go down the list by seniority, not by the date you requested. Unfortunately the lazy bum who started a month ahead of you will be offered full-time before you, even though you never call out and do three times as much work as he does. Just the nature of the beast, for all intents and purposes I would plan on the year timetable for conversion of part-time to full-time just so you have a realistic plan in place if you need to obtain a second job (Like many part-timers do). TSA is not the same environment it used to be, secure jobs are so scarce these days that folks are hesitant to leave a secure federal job, therefore there is less turnover. Also, due to the economy, the applicant pool for any given federal job has increased significantly in terms of talent, so it's much more difficult for TSA employees to transition to other agencies and positions. I'm not saying it's impossible, just more difficult, so fewer employees leaving for other agencies means fewer full-time positions opening up at any given airport.

I cannot comment on split-shifts, as far as I know they are a thing of the past and are no longer offered to incoming employees but I could be wrong. Someone else may want to chime in here, I know this was the case for the airport I was involved with. 

Good luck.

thanks a lot for the detailed reply! Yeah I know what you mean about jobs being scarce - I have a Bachelors degree and simply cannot get a job, I keep getting beat out by people with more experience, who have been laid off, etc. Out of 105+ job applications, the TSA is the only one I'm actually making progress with, with one other interview scheduled for a private sector job next week. I have my medical for the TSA in about an hour, and my e86 just cleared today, and will be moving on to the background investigators. If I get this job, I'll just hope to keep it at least long enough until I can either A, find a better, full time job, or B, move to full time after a while.
But it's good to know I can do another part time job on the side, I'll have to try and find something!

vtboyarc  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 1:04:04 AM(UTC)
vtboyarc

mrbsf wrote:

That's correct, split shifts are being slowly phased out due to concerns of fatigue and of course the need to pay the 8% differential.  You are also correct, that conversions to full-time are usually done by seniority.  The one year time frame you gave for conversion is a good average, although at some smaller Cat 1 and Cat 2 airports it could take much longer maybe 2-3 years.

Shoot, I'm pretty sure Austin Bergstrom International Airport is a Cat 1...haha
vtboyarc  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 4:06:18 AM(UTC)
vtboyarc

well, passed everything in the medical (well they are sending my drug test results out, but I know I'll past that, never done any drugs). Anyone know how long it takes for it to show up as passed on the TSA dashboard?
crs38  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:46:05 AM(UTC)
crs38

mrbsf wrote:

The above is based on full-time employment.  Part-time employees accrue less annual and sick leave.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed