Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge


Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.


To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mihamilt  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:52:58 PM(UTC)
mihamilt

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1

I am a federal employee in Columbus Ohio. I have an EEO case pending now and I'm at the hearing phase. I need reprensentation, but every lawywer I have talked to request large amount of funds up front. (5,000 to 10,000) I know I need a lawyer. Is the a lawyer out there who take may case pro-bona or on a contingency basis. If so Contact me for further details of my case. I must request discovey very soon. leaqse Help !!
MindInquiring  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:38:58 AM(UTC)
MindInquiring

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 183

EEO Reference and Research[/URL]
EEO Reference and Research
http://www.eeoc.gov/federal/reference.html

quote:
Originally posted by MiGs6:
I am a federal employee in Columbus Ohio. I have an EEO case pending now and I'm at the hearing phase. I need reprensentation, but every lawywer I have talked to request large amount of funds up front. (5,000 to 10,000) I know I need a lawyer. Is the a lawyer out there who take may case pro-bona or on a contingency basis. If so Contact me for further details of my case. I must request discovey very soon. leaqse Help !!
tulip2665  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2009 12:08:10 AM(UTC)
tulip2665

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2009(UTC)
Posts: 4

Try the Federal Employee Legal Services Center. They offer the lowest rates around.
freeageless  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:11:05 AM(UTC)
freeageless

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/20/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,335

I looked at their website. I find it strange that they don't give you the names of their attorneys. Furthermore, they don't give citations to any cases they may have won. In addition, they don't state what their fees are. They may be okay, but if I were looking for an attorney, I would be careful about using that firm.


Quote from robocop

"EEO ATTORNEY
Try the Federal Employee Legal Services Center. They offer the lowest rates around."
argp  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 12:17:09 PM(UTC)
argp

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/13/2008(UTC)
Posts: 19

I retained Chungsoo Lee for 2 EEOC cases and an MSPB case. He further advised me to request a hearing for 13 complaints the Agency never finished the investigation on. Several weeks prior to the EEOC hearing, Lee withdrew his representation on all of my cases, has refused to reimburse me the $5,000 I paid him to appear at the hearings and kept original documents I mailed to him. I had to represent myself at the EEOC hearing and file over 2,000 pages of evidence, an 80 page Statement of claims and a 24 page Statement of Issues in my MSPB case, which I had to withdraw my request for a hearing and ask for a decision without one because I couldn't meet my deadlines. I have filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Better Business Bureau which is on file as unresolved.
argp  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:46:46 AM(UTC)
argp

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/13/2008(UTC)
Posts: 19

I retained Lee for 2 EEOC and 1 MSPB hearing. He abruptly withdrew weeks before the EEOC hearing leaving me without representation. I had to represent myself and the judge ruled in the agency's favor. The MSPB hearing was scheduled for 5/09 and I had to withdraw and request a decision without a hearing so I could submit my evidece and statements by my deadlines. Lee has refused to reimburse my fees, as well as return an original agency file I mailed him. Before you enter into a contract with him, check with BBB.
freeageless  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:23:03 AM(UTC)
freeageless

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/20/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,335

BIGPAPPA, Are you Lee's only satisfied client, and don't quote from his website. Lee could have made up those satisfied persons names.
rolac  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 7:10:03 AM(UTC)
rolac

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 9

Exercise extreme caution. You get what you pay for. I'm under the impression that it is a one woman operation that tries to give the appearance of a large, respectable D.C. firm. I worked with the attorney and she failed to submit a rebuttal to my managers' pretextual statements in my ROI even though I immediately alerted her in writing to the many statements that were either false or taken out of context. She was non-responsive to several of my questions and also put little to no effort in my Discovery submission. She seemed genuinely confused by the AJ's order to remand my case to the agency as a Mixed Case complaint. Exercise caution!!
argp  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:33:35 PM(UTC)
argp

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/13/2008(UTC)
Posts: 19

Sorry for the double posting -- one didn't appear right away and I wanted to post the warning about EEO21. I made the mistake of Paying Lee with personal checks for $2,500 of his fees and am now faced with small claims court. At least the credit card is in dispute. I filed complaints with the PA Attorney General's Office -- contrary to what Lee told the BBB, the AG's office DID NOT dismiss my complaint. They can only pursue action if there is more than one complaint. Rolac, if you have grounds for a complaint, please contact the PA AG's office to file one. I never spoke with a woman and had the impression Lee was the only one working there (in between picking his kids up from school). I have numerous e-mails where he's directing me to read Orders, check deadlines and format drafts to "make them look nice." He would direct me to do some clerical task, then tell me he was going to choir practice -- I have this in writing. In one instance, he waited until midnight to fax a response to the judge -- he not only had trouble with his fax and it transmitted after midnight, but he never reset the clock and the time was wrong anyway. Once he quit, it was easier because I wasn't babysitting.
argp  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:35:50 PM(UTC)
argp

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/13/2008(UTC)
Posts: 19

Lee is NOT an attorney and I don't believe anyone associated with EEO21 is despite the fact that his contract states he provides legal advice -- according to the PA Bar Association, this comes under Unauthorized Practice of Law.
argp  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:39:57 PM(UTC)
argp

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/13/2008(UTC)
Posts: 19

When I saw this posting I was hopeful I might be able to fine representation. After I looked at the website, my hopes were gone -- look carefully ... they also represent agencies, which means they will have an agenda that might include pleasing the other side -- employees are transient, but the agencies are around for them to deal with always. I think that's also true for private attorneys. One who was recommended to me in Providence wanted nothing to do with my case even if I paid her -- last week the reason becamse apparent. She's running for a State Supreme Court judgeship. Gotta love politics.
rolac  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:17:07 PM(UTC)
rolac

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 9

I was under the impression that FELSC operates with one attorney. I don't know about a Mr. Lee. In fact, I had a dispute over my billing and asked for the "billing department". I was emailed by a "Barbie". I asked for a phone number so I could talk directly, and was advised that they preferred all correspondence via email, and refused to supply a telephone number. Very odd. Rosemary Dettling tried to sell that she was a former Department of Commerce attorney and knew the inner workings of the agency. I believe that she in fact knows how to prolong a case to hearing, whereas most attorneys will try to avoid a hearing due to the cost to their client. At this point, what do I know???? Admin2009-11-04 08:18:22
luvdata  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:34:55 PM(UTC)
luvdata

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/1/2007(UTC)
Posts: 403

ROBOCOP

only has two posts, both sell Dettling and her company to everyone else.

. . .perhaps we should have ROBOCOP respond directly to these complaints. She seems to know quite a bit about FELSC.
BIGPAPPA  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:09:38 PM(UTC)
BIGPAPPA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 292

As of to date I appear to be the only happy guy that is true. Like I said before he did what he is supposed to do in my case. I am happy....

quote:
Originally posted by fairness6:
BIGPAPPA, Are you Lee's only satisfied client, and don't quote from his website. Lee could have made up those satisfied persons names.
BIGPAPPA  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:54:56 PM(UTC)
BIGPAPPA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 292

Wait.... Something is wrong concerning this post. ARGP, This what I am going to do. I am going to contact the PA BAR ASSOCIATION today. My feeling that the PA BAR is precluding from dealing with Mr. Lee because He is not an attorney. The issue of Mr. Lee giving you legal advice pertaining to MSPB or EEOC and it being unlawful is incorrect. After all EEOC and MSPB allow non lawyers to represent you in EEOC and MSPB cases in all 50 states and territories. Your story looking a bit suspect.

quote:
Originally posted by argp:
Lee is NOT an attorney and I don't believe anyone associated with EEO21 is despite the fact that his contract states he provides legal advice -- according to the PA Bar Association, this comes under Unauthorized Practice of Law.
BIGPAPPA  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:03:57 PM(UTC)
BIGPAPPA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 292

You are off the hook.

quote:
Originally posted by argp:
When I saw this posting I was hopeful I might be able to fine representation. After I looked at the website, my hopes were gone -- look carefully ... they also represent agencies, which means they will have an agenda that might include pleasing the other side -- employees are transient, but the agencies are around for them to deal with always. I think that's also true for private attorneys. One who was recommended to me in Providence wanted nothing to do with my case even if I paid her -- last week the reason becamse apparent. She's running for a State Supreme Court judgeship. Gotta love politics.
BIGPAPPA  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:36:57 PM(UTC)
BIGPAPPA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 292

I went to the BBB of Penn and this is the data that I saw.... You are the only complaint. You maybe suspect.



quote:
Originally posted by argp:
Sorry for the double posting -- one didn't appear right away and I wanted to post the warning about EEO21. I made the mistake of Paying Lee with personal checks for $2,500 of his fees and am now faced with small claims court. At least the credit card is in dispute. I filed complaints with the PA Attorney General's Office -- contrary to what Lee told the BBB, the AG's office DID NOT dismiss my complaint. They can only pursue action if there is more than one complaint. Rolac, if you have grounds for a complaint, please contact the PA AG's office to file one. I never spoke with a woman and had the impression Lee was the only one working there (in between picking his kids up from school). I have numerous e-mails where he's directing me to read Orders, check deadlines and format drafts to "make them look nice." He would direct me to do some clerical task, then tell me he was going to choir practice -- I have this in writing. In one instance, he waited until midnight to fax a response to the judge -- he not only had trouble with his fax and it transmitted after midnight, but he never reset the clock and the time was wrong anyway. Once he quit, it was easier because I wasn't babysitting.


[This message was edited by FederalSoup Host1 on October 30, 2009 at 09:49 AM.]
BIGPAPPA  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:48:22 PM(UTC)
BIGPAPPA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 292

The only unresolved issue is with your suit against him there is no one else. The BBB is not a enforcement nor a Judicial agency they do research looking for legal actions against companies and you are the only complaint. That is why the BBB says there is 1 unresolved issue.

quote:
Originally posted by argp:
I retained Lee for 2 EEOC and 1 MSPB hearing. He abruptly withdrew weeks before the EEOC hearing leaving me without representation. I had to represent myself and the judge ruled in the agency's favor. The MSPB hearing was scheduled for 5/09 and I had to withdraw and request a decision without a hearing so I could submit my evidece and statements by my deadlines. Lee has refused to reimburse my fees, as well as return an original agency file I mailed him. Before you enter into a contract with him, check with BBB.
BIGPAPPA  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:38:40 PM(UTC)
BIGPAPPA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 292

The information is confidential and you can not do research pertaining to her claim against Mr. Lee with PA attorney office.

quote:
Originally posted by fairness6:
BIGPAPPA, Are you Lee's only satisfied client, and don't quote from his website. Lee could have made up those satisfied persons names.
LostInTheMatrix  
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 4:12:30 AM(UTC)
LostInTheMatrix

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/29/2003(UTC)
Posts: 93

MiGs6,

I sympathize with your search for competent representation.

Let me give you some options:

On the internet, go to "Federal EEO Sector Appellate Decisions". When I entered "Columbus, Ohio" in the search, it came up with over 200 entries. There are many different cases, and filings that have rulings. It will give you a feel for what happens when a case goes ALL the WAY. You may notice that many, many cases are rejected or dismissed due to minor things like failing to file something timely, or failure to state a case properly. You can use the "search" for your agency, names, types of cases, etc.

When I was searching for an attorney, I called several large firms in my city, and asked if they knew of any attorneys that handled FEDERAL EEO cases. Federal employers are much different than private cases (due to the seemingly unlimited resources provided to the Federal government). Some law firms will fax you a list of attorneys specializing in employment issues.

As you call the offices of these attorneys, if they are not interested, ask if they know of any attorneys that take your type of case. You will find that there will be a small circle of attorneys that take federal employee cases.

Be aware that some attorneys will charge you a $50 to $250 an hour consulting fee, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE INTERESTED IN TAKING YOUR CASE. Even then, some attorneys would charge me the fee, and tell they would not take the case if I paid them $250 an hour and a $30,000 retainer. One attorney charged me over $600, then told me she would not take the case. I was outraged!

However, you never know. You may get lucky. I discreetly put out feelers to find successful lawyers in my type of case. I contacted federal union reps and federal employee associations. It took me over two years to find an excellent attorney.

I also read the newspaper and searched the internet. If I saw a case that was recently settled or won, I called the attorney and asked if they would take my case. Of course if the answer was no, I asked if they knew of any other attorneys.

Be careful. I know time is short for you. Some attorneys told me that although they had never represented a federal employee before, they wanted to experiment with my case, and wanted over 50 percent contingency. It was excessive, but the attorney told me that he knew how desperate I was. I told him, "No thanks".

I also considered MSPB attorneys, because they are very familiar with the federal government shenanigans, due to the fact they may have handled mixed cases.

My last bit of advise: try to settle as soon as possible. The longer it goes on, the more you will lose -- as far as pschologically, financally, family stress, etc.

You NEVER get what you think you deserve. Even if you "win", the EEOC will not reiumburse all of your attorney fees. That is why it is so difficult to find an attorney to step into the arena.

Good Luck and take care of yourself.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.829 seconds.