Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimothy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:06:12 PM(UTC)
Jimothy

Groups: Registered

I've been lurking here for awhile but this is a first time post. 

I'm currently a vet and I really love the outdoors and hiking. I'm a huge nature fan and the NPS has a regional office in Omaha.  However, I've been scanning USAjobs for quite sometime looking at jobs there and I have seriously only seen 1-2 and they were temporary for like map makers. 

I have my BS degree in IT but I'd be willing to go to back to school if I thought it could help me get a job there.  Anyone have any idea?

Red  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:44:03 AM(UTC)
Red

I was in another agency, but knew NPS Park Rangers who were at Glynco.  The job used to be a GS-9 and was hard to get.  Many started out as Summer part-timers.  I know one who volunteered to work St Louis (the Arch is Federal property).  Sort of a combat tour- lots of crime.  He said he likes it but most of the other guys want to get out West as soon as they can.  US Fish & Wildlife has Rangers, as do BLM and Forest Service.  A local USF&WS Ranger was a Federal Air Marshal first.  I think they have a tougher job than some people realize, lots of dope and traffickers on fed property now.  Good Luck.
countrychick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:17:21 AM(UTC)
countrychick

NPS doesn't have that many opening for IT but I noticed that the Forest Service has a ton of them.  If you really want to work with NPS then I agree that you might want to check out some of the seasonal positions to start with and then go from there.  In our NPS area we have only one IT person who covers a very large territory.  They just don't hire back up.  We are even short in other positions that would be considered critical (wastewater, electric, etc.) and those never get announced because we don't have funding.  The Forest Service seems to have better funding, at least from what I can tell.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed