Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beppo  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 10:47:21 PM(UTC)
Beppo

Groups: Registered

Hi folks. I've been working for the post office for about 2 years now, first as a Casual Mailhandler for 6 months, then switched to being a Casual Clerk, and then when the PSE positions came up, I applied for and got hired as a PSE.
I had to change locations, going from a relatively low-stress job at the AFSM 100 and the SPBS to the fast-paced DBCS. It was a bit of a shock, but after a few weeks I caught on and pretty much got up to speed. At first things seemed great, going from $8/hr to $14.60/hr almost doubled my paycheck, even with reduced hours. Then of course there's the "possibility" of benefits after a year, there's also the fact that we have 4 career clerks at my facility who are either retiring or changing crafts within the next few months, which a supervisor told us supposedly means that the first of the PSEs to get hired (of which I am one) might be able to fill their slots and become Regulars. Yeah, things seemed great, at first...
The problem now is, literally EVERY SINGLE DAY we are reminded by our supervisors that we are still on our 90-day probation and can get fired at any time. There are about 20 PSEs on my tour and about half of us always have a "post-game" session in the parking lot after work to see who screwed up the most (according to the supervisors). There is a bit of gallows humor to it but the one experience we all seem to share is that either as a group or individually, we are reminded at least once EVERY SINGLE DAY that we are all just one step away from getting fired.

What the f ck kind of sh t is that??

This is no way to come to work, worried every day if this day is going to be your last! I mean jeez, today for example, today was the first day in WEEKS that every machine got its mail out on time. Usually at least 2 or 3 machines are late by 20, 30, sometimes even 45 minutes or more. It's not that we're inept or inefficient, it's just that that's the way it is when dealing with machines like the DBCS which is prone to jams and breakdowns, multiplied by the number of machines we have running. But today was a really good day. My partner and I actually finished our mail 40 minutes ahead of time, and with only one error, which has never happened in the two months we've been PSEs. It was so odd that I semi-jokingly said to my buddy, "This day was TOO good. And almost no mistakes? ...I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop." About the only thing we did wrong was that my partner labeled up two racks of trays wrong, which he corrected before we pulled everything down. Since we were done early the SDO asked a few of us to run some more mail for about 30 minutes and then clock out. I thought to myself, "Wow, this day might actually turn out to be the best day I've had here so far!"

No such luck...

TEN MINUTES before clocking out, and about 2 minutes before I was to shut my machine down, one of the supervisors comes up to me and says, "We let another one go this morning. You need to speed up cause you're #1 now." ("Number 1" meaning, I am now the "senior" PSE, if there is such a thing.) Two firings in five days, the only really good day on the job I've had in weeks, ten minutes before I leave and I get THIS??

There's enough stress on us at work to rush-rush-rush and get the mail out, but this added DAILY threat of firing (which at this point is almost like a promise) is almost too much. I understand that we are all on a probationary status but, jeezus, why the constant gun at our heads?

Are any other PSEs experiencing this?
USAF  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 11:05:15 PM(UTC)
USAF

I am a 23 year employee of the USPS, and was there when they redesigned the Post Office in 1990.  They hired alot of TE's and Casuals and most were let go within a year. PSE's are permanently temporary. You were hired to fill a "void". Once the USPS gets rid of 6 day delivery PSE's will all be let go for obvious reasons. The USPS is back to the "going postal" days of the 1980's.Ouch I transferred to another federal agency and its fun to read these things because it remends me of that horrible place.Clap

PSE's wise up... you're about to become toast.
boober  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 11:06:51 PM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm not a PSE, and never have been 1. I'm a city carrier, but I can speak from experience and from the experiences of many others that this sort of behavior from management is totally normal. The majority of us get treated this way. It's not just a PSE thing. It's a POSTAL EMPLOYEE thing. Postal management is there to belittle you, talk down to you, and make you feel crap. Also lie, manipulate, and play head games as well. They also as you've seen, LOVE to constantly remind you of certain things and "dangle the carrot" as much as humanly possible. You cannot trust any of em. Even the few good ones out there. Don't let it get to you or your co workers. It's more than likely not at all personal. It's just the way they like to treat EVERYONE that works for them. Thumbs Down
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
cntry  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:33:52 AM(UTC)
cntry

As a PSE you can be let go at any time, which is why they are pushing so hard to hire so many.  They need the PSE's right now to cover for the way they are scr**ing over the new NTFT's but once that is washed out, I'm guessing they will be letting alot go. 

We have two in our office, one that used to a casual that management loves (kisses a** real good) and a newbie.  The first is getting better hours than the NTFT's and not being scr**ed over at all.  The second is being jerked around like one of the those balls tied to a paddle. 

Union rep says PSE's are quitting right and left in the bigger offices...can't say I blame them if they are being treated like our newbie.
In God We Trust
sweets2323  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:10:22 AM(UTC)
sweets2323

Wow , i have orientation on Thursday and I am going, but I dont think I am going to accept the offer, I am working now and to have left the post office as a Regular and to come back as a PSE and have to face my former employees and to be treated that way, I dont think I can handle that trauma...
deleted  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:20:23 AM(UTC)
deleted

sounds about right.

As a casual I was told daily by one supervisor for an entire year that he could fire me an any time and that he didnt need a reason, he could lie and just make one up.

This supervisor also sexually harassed me for some time before moving on to other casual clerks. The local union had statements and witnesses regarding other harassment (some sexual) towards a few casuals and it was not persued. This man screamed at career employees and got away with it. Basically some of them have little actual work to do themselves and enjoy the "interaction".

A bad supervisor knows what he/she can get away with and there are a lot of them out there. As a temporary employee you are the perfect disposable target. You can and should document the abuse to protect yourself.

Your union and coworkers may not be able or willing to help. While you are the target, they may enjoy that they are not.
boliver  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:20:59 AM(UTC)
boliver

This is just plain disgusting. To think that management gets away with this treatment all over the country is unacceptable.  Yet you guys are unable to do anything about it for fear of being fired at any given minute.  Whether it's their power hungry egos or bonuses or for their own fun, it's unfair and unnecessary.  I hope they keep up with the "Violence in the Workplace" program.  But they should be focusing mainly on management, that's where it starts. 
boober  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:37:08 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It's a messed up thing to say but how long's it been since anyone went "postal"? You'd think that the way things have gotten over the last couple of years, that there'd be escalating instances of violence in the PO. Confused
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
USAF  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:54:52 AM(UTC)
USAF

Boober:

It won't be long before somebody snaps and goes postal. I'm sure postal management already is preparing for if/when it happens.
Beppo  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:12:07 AM(UTC)
Beppo

There were two incidents last year, one in Atlanta and one in NYC. We had a meeting about it.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Going-Postal--Mail-Sorter-Charged-With-Stabbing-Supervisor-At-JFK-Mail-Facility--96613839.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/supervisor-stabbed-multiple-times-578361.html

By the way, this treatment of me has only happened at the DBCS facility I'm at now. As a Casual Clerk at another plant (working on the AFSM 100 and SPBS), it was a completely different environment. I was, for the most part, left alone to do my job. I even took my own lunch and breaks whenever I felt like it, on nights I was assigned to do case mail. Another example of how "casual" things were for me as a Casual, our MDO had us keep track of our own hours for the week and come Thursday night (Friday morning, the last day of the week for the post office) we could just leave and clock out whenever we hit 36 (unless he had something specifically for us to do). At least once a week he would even pad our hours for us by having us do busy work instead of sending us home, like stacking trays or separating empty priority bags for an hour or two.

There's nothing like that now, though.
Keepontruckin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:15:32 AM(UTC)
Keepontruckin

They will dangle the carrot.  I retired after 23 years 2 months.  Please do not think the regulars have it made.  It is not the end of the rainbow.  A postal worker will have to jump through hoops every day they work.  Pse or regular.  
subdewd  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:45:04 AM(UTC)
subdewd

ditto, get your mind set to POW, when you get ready to quit go to eeo, hostile work environment,
sad

steveyanowsky  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:06:05 AM(UTC)
steveyanowsky

I was recently fired as a PSE.  Contact me if you want to hear my story.

Steve
sjyano444@gmail.com

9wire  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:22:11 AM(UTC)
9wire

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When I was on my 90 day probation, the PM would regularly tell me "I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing so far, not seeing the sense of urgency I'm looking for..." Found out later he told everyone that. It was so bad, one time after dispatch, I literally ran out of things to do and was in a real panic trying to find something to look busy, thinking I would get fired. Years later now, gone from PTF clerk to regular carrier, and the lack of "people skills" in the USPS is appalling. I really sincerely believe you have to have deep seated personality issues if you actually want to be a supervisor. Anybody with a soul, common sense, a decent work ethic, and a smidge of intelligence knows they want nothing to do with it.In a kot of ways mid level sups have an impossible job with the rules we have and micro-managing and second guessing from on high, but most I've seen are just EVIL.
Kip's Law: "Every advocate of central planning always - always - envisions himself as the central planner."<br /><br />Fen's Law: "The left believes none of the things they lecture the rest of us about."<br /><br /><br /><br />
wstie50  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:09:21 PM(UTC)
wstie50

As a supervisor understand that we get it coming down the hill and up the hill we get lied to by upper management and employee's and this is never-ending. How many different excuses can both come up with. Somewhere in all that is the truth so we do the best we can to sort it out and move along. Granted some people should not be in management and some employee;s should have been fired years ago.
Nguyen  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2012 1:11:28 PM(UTC)
Nguyen

Well I just got fired today and google PSE and found this forum lol. I saw it coming when the first day I went to work the Post master said USPS is not doing so well so if you find a better opportunity make sure you take it.

My termination letter says your 80- day evaluation is unacceptable as it was at 30 and 60 days. Your work quantity, work quality, and work methods are unacceptable for work. I ask the supervisor how was it unacceptable he says I am not doing the things fast enough when I am getting the parcel scanned by 8am and the PO Box up by 10am. How more fast do you want **?

They didn't let me take a lunch for like almost 3 weeks where I worked over 7 hours. I wonder if I can do anything about that. There were days I worked 10 hours and only had one 10 minute break and I was starving I asked them if I could take a lunch because I was hungry they said no.
boliver  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2012 2:34:24 PM(UTC)
boliver

Ah, the future of America's postal service.
Getting in  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:35:10 AM(UTC)
Getting in

My experience is similar as a PSE. As a casual prior to becoming in I had a schedule with a stop and start time of course knowing I needed to be flexible which was no problem. I was impowered to take my lunch and breaks at my discretion as long as it didnt impact my work. As a pse I work at a differrent location. I have only a start time which changes everyday (schedule comes out weekly) I have no stop time clearly defined. I never know how many hours I will get.

Management at my location isnt too bad and very few people have been let go or quit. But the job from being even a casual is night and day. I had better hours as a casual, more hours, not a weekly rotating schedule and better mangement.

To me and the people I started with its literally just a job at this point. Most of the people grind it out and just wait to go home. Many nights I work 7 hours without even a break and then have to take my break and lunch at the end then clock out and go home which is BS because then I sit around in the swingroom and punch out and go home.

I wish I would have stayed a casual mailhandler because the job and hours were much better as well as the work enviornment even though it was less money.
Inception937  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:03:10 AM(UTC)
Inception937

Nguyen wrote:
Well I just got fired today and google PSE and found this forum lol. I saw it coming when the first day I went to work the Post master said USPS is not doing so well so if you find a better opportunity make sure you take it.

My termination letter says your 80- day evaluation is unacceptable as it was at 30 and 60 days. Your work quantity, work quality, and work methods are unacceptable for work. I ask the supervisor how was it unacceptable he says I am not doing the things fast enough when I am getting the parcel scanned by 8am and the PO Box up by 10am. How more fast do you want **?

They didn't let me take a lunch for like almost 3 weeks where I worked over 7 hours. I wonder if I can do anything about that. There were days I worked 10 hours and only had one 10 minute break and I was starving I asked them if I could take a lunch because I was hungry they said no.

that is completely absurd. does your shop steward know about this?
dhacker56  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:31:38 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
He does not have a steward.  He was fired!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed