Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brianna143  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:45:41 AM(UTC)
brianna143

Groups: Registered

Hello all, I hope everyone is doing great.  I'd like to start a topic regarding one of the contractors on the OPM Federal Background Investigative Services contract, (CACI).  I have seen small posts on here regarding CACI, but never regarding this topic. 

What I'd like to know is if anyone in the discussion board has ever attended CACI's 2 week training course in VA to become "credentialed" as an investigator after being selected, and receiving their clearance to work on the contract?  I was selected into a 1099 contractor position with CACI to do OPM background investigations, and have now received my clearance, and I am due to go down to VA for the 2 week course in the coming weeks.  Anyone that can provide any info about the course (ie: Is it difficult?  Are the two Friday tests really hard?  Will I ever truly learn all of the Gov. acronyms!? Etc...), I would greatly appreciate the info, thank you very much!

chillynds  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:29:26 AM(UTC)
chillynds

Hi! I haven't gone through the training yet but just received confirmation that I'm scheduled for the 10/17 class, so maybe I will see you there. Sounds like a lot of material to get through in a short amount of time, but everyone at CACI has been very friendly and helpful, so I'm looking forward to it and think it'll be pretty smooth sailing as long as I study. Good luck to you!
ForzaMilan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:56:07 PM(UTC)
ForzaMilan

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You guys might wanna make some good contacts while you are in class, especially with the full time staff, cause contractors are pretty much on their own after the training. Training is definitely a lot of material, but you will have the material with you after the class, so that can help. But make contact is what I'd say :)
Stephanies  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 7:48:29 PM(UTC)
Stephanies

Thanks for sharing on  CACI OPM CONTRACT TRAINING

brianna143  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 8:19:37 PM(UTC)
brianna143

Well folks, I passed the course about a month ago and have been in the field pretty consistently since than (as a contractor). My field sup is no help, but emailing my brief questions to one of the training instructors who gave me her email has proved very very helpful! I've only been reopened on 3 cases so far, and they were for very minimal things. Anyone attending this training course, listen to what kristen has to say, and feel free to let her know that people appreciate what she does.
chillynds  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:13:38 AM(UTC)
chillynds

brianna143, how many hours a week are you working as a contractor? I've been working as a full-time employee for a about a month and a half now, and I'm finding it a little overwhelming...especially the amount of driving. I'd like to continue my grad courses but can't find the time with this job, and I'm thinking of trying to switch to a contractor to work part-time. I'm just afraid if I tell them I can do 20 hours a week, I'm still going to be working 30-40 hours when you add in time to brief cases, travel, and do paperwork. 
Surfcaster  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 4:47:33 AM(UTC)
Surfcaster

My advice would be to consider other contracts besides OPM. Don't get me wrong,  you can make plenty of money working OPM especially in the metro areas. However the work load is overwhelming, and unless you take a leave there is no let up. Field work eats up most of your day, and reports will fill your nights. You will also be dealing with a large percentage of  subjective rather then objective reviews. Which leads to a lot of knit picking and re-writes of submitted reports.   Good luck.
chillynds  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:59:18 AM(UTC)
chillynds

Surfcaster wrote:

My advice would be to consider other contracts besides OPM. Don't get me wrong,  you can make plenty of money working OPM especially in the metro areas. However the work load is overwhelming, and unless you take a leave there is no let up. Field work eats up most of your day, and reports will fill your nights. You will also be dealing with a large percentage of  subjective rather then objective reviews. Which leads to a lot of knit picking and re-writes of submitted reports.   Good luck.

That is pretty much what I've found, overwhelming work load and nights filled with trying to write up reports. I've also had reopens asking for things I specifically put into my ROI, and reopens for things I was not reopened for in other cases. It's hard to learn what the right thing to do is when you have no idea what cases will be reopened for. I can't work any other contracts since I'm a full time employee and signed some sort of non-compete agreement. So I'm stuck, just trying to tough it out and stay calm when I get less-than-stellar reviews.
SeamusK  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:59:30 AM(UTC)
SeamusK

OPM is currently hiring investigators...I know they just had an opening for the DC area that recently closed.  Check USA Jobs periodically fi you guys ever think about coming to the fed side:)

ForzaMilan  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:17:10 AM(UTC)
ForzaMilan

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I actually applied for the most recent one, and was not selected strangely enough. Even though that is what I do now as a contractor. Government works in strange ways

Rss Feed  Atom Feed