Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HHS

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Source: www.hhs.gov/about/

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dumaka  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:49:28 AM(UTC)
dumaka

Groups: Registered

I’ve worked in two federal agencies and I've seen it all. You don’t need any qualifications just as long as you are connected or related to someone there who will bring you in and take care of you. For example, I have seen the wife of one of the bosses who had no credentials whatsoever beat out two PhD candidates for a job. She couldn't do the work so they hired highly skilled temporary workers from Kelly Scientific to do her job.

Here is how it works:
They want to give or promote a federal job to a friend or relative so it is already pre-determined. Then it is posted on the USAjobs website. Then you go through the hassle of applying for the job making certain that all of your T's are crossed and dot the I's. Then it goes to personnel who certify the three most qualified candidates miraculously including the friend or relative who they want. Then if you are lucky enough to be called for an interview, they will ask you the KSA questions. The KSA's are the specific questions and deciding factors for getting the job. The person who the job is written for has already been coached on how to answer the KSA's, so you don't have a chance.

You won't have a chance because the hiring official/interviewer is usually the friend or relative of the individual that the job is written for. The hiring official has 100% power to choose who they want for the job, qualified or not. Then you will receive a letter in the mail. The most common reason that they will give for not being hired that they use is: "You were referred for consideration but another candidate was selected." I see this all the time within HHS.
dumaka2011-09-22 12:56:31
Administrative Officer<br />HHS<br />USAF Vet 7 years
HoosierIUSB  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:23:52 AM(UTC)
HoosierIUSB

Great post - oh so true!
Just Another Girl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:26:58 PM(UTC)
Just Another Girl

Well, I can't  even get an application update from HHS.  Some of  my HHS applications that closed on July 7, 2011 on USA jobs have never been  updated.

That's going on 3 months!

I've stopped applying for HHS.  Maybe that is what they had in mind all along if their intent is to hire friends and family.

Just Another Girl2011-09-22 21:32:50
Obama 2012
spence  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:53:23 PM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The system only works if those who care about fairness are vigilant and stand up for it.  If you have proof, I urge you to report the perpetrators of those engaging in nepotism to the Office of Special Counsel, http://www.osc.gov/ppp.htm , as that is a prohibited personnel practice, or to other appropriate authorities.
HoosierIUSB  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 3:36:36 AM(UTC)
HoosierIUSB

Well, I've felt the same way about reporting these things to OSC.  However, you have to keep in mind that seeing your case through to the end will often take years, and there's no guarantee that you'll win (You still won't have a fed job).  Another option is to network your way in to get a job pre-selected ("wired") for you.  In other words, if you want to get hired, you need to get wired!
Kokoro  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 4:04:40 AM(UTC)
Kokoro

HoosierIUSB - So true!  It's not necessarily what you know, but who you know. 

That's how I got my current job.  Networking is definitely the best way to get a job - PERIOD. 
PatriotBound  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:20:50 PM(UTC)
PatriotBound

Wow..

I just had a HHS interview Friday and I can't believe how crazy weird your post is feeling right now.

I asked one of the POs interviewing me and the coordinator beforehand how many ppl got selected for interviews, and I heard "only a handful" both times --- sounds like 3.

The PO interviewing me said I should be congratulated already for navigating the USAJobs process, half-jokingly that they had already hired 2 ppl from Michigan in the last year so they may not have room for another one, and when I asked what the process would bet for me going forward, she kept looking down and unable to meet my eye contact saying 'well I'm sure [the director] is going to um call your references and then um someone will get in touch with you in a few weeks..".

It really does seem like it was almost a set-up.  Like I was so crazy confused by how this was all unfolding so quick, my job was incredibly relevant to the position and I would be a great fit, but somehow I did get the vibe once I arrived that this was all an 'exercise' or something, like the questions didn't necessarily feel like I was being fully evaluated so much as engaged in a conversation... 

I dunno.  Maybe I'm just being nervous.

Anyone have tips on my situ btw?  

Thx

PB
travis  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 12:14:33 PM(UTC)
travis

Can FOI requests be used in these cases?  They might at least make some people nervous who are engaging in these practices. 

I think I've heard of people who were not selected filing some kind of Freedom of Information Act request to get an idea of the qualifications of the person who got selected.   If a person who was clearly not qualified got selected, you might be able to do something with that information.
Punanamous  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:50:56 AM(UTC)
Punanamous

Soooooooo trueeeeeee.  That applies to all agencies.  I was laid off in 08' from a job in MD.  After 2 yrs of being unemployed and 100,000 applications (999,000) fed apps I was offered a fed job in Pittsburgh.  I figured...heck gotta work...gotta move......hate the Pittsburgh Steelers...will request a transfer... Well, it doesn't work that way.  Most of those jobs are for a friend of a friend.  I've even seen people land positions that were never posted.  Some will play the "seniority card" when it comes to offering it to someone outside the agency.  It's such a scam..  
Punanamous  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:55:23 AM(UTC)
Punanamous

PatriotBound  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:21:03 PM(UTC)
PatriotBound

They asked me for references on Monday, I provided 3.  None have been contacted yet...
Shaudius  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:54:17 AM(UTC)
Shaudius

I applied for a job with the FDA, I had the interview and my references were contacted, and now I'm in waiting mode. There were 4 positions open for this job, so I'm hoping that it isn't all just a sham this time.
dumaka  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:20:05 AM(UTC)
dumaka

Good luck to anyone that made it to the phone call phase. Not many do...
Sea Salt  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:20:00 PM(UTC)
Sea Salt

This should not be a hard one to figure out. The reason it is utterly impossible to get a job with HHS or any other federal agency is probably because you have not served your country and you are not a veteran.

Veterans come first in this world. Qualifications come second. Learn to support your veterans and country first.
dumaka  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:48:40 PM(UTC)
dumaka

Sea Salt wrote:
This should not be a hard one to figure out. The reason it is utterly impossible to get a job with HHS or any other federal agency is probably because you have not served your country and you are not a veteran.

Veterans come first in this world. Qualifications come second. Learn to support your veterans and country first.

I don't know if you're being serious or a smartass but I am a Veteran. 2001 - 2008 Air Force. Besides being a veteran doesn't mean squat to HHS. They're looking for Health Scientist and your average vet that joined straight out of high school isn't going to be holding a PhD when he gets out. Unless of course you're like me when I studied my ass off to get my Masters degree by the time I got out. It still took me 8 months to get hired and that was through an internship! The whole world doesn't just revolve around us veterans! dumaka2011-09-29 00:17:50
Shaudius  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 12:59:19 AM(UTC)
Shaudius

They just called to process my security clearance! The guy on the phone asked if HR in Atlanta had contacted me yet, and I told him no, and he said they will be calling either today or sometime next week, HR wouldn't be calling me unless I got the job, nor would they be proceeding with my security clearance paperwork, right? right? So excited. 
Sea Salt  
#17 Posted : Saturday, October 01, 2011 4:35:16 AM(UTC)
Sea Salt

Shaudius wrote:
They just called to process my security clearance! The guy on the phone asked if HR in Atlanta had contacted me yet, and I told him no, and he said they will be calling either today or sometime next week, HR wouldn\'t be calling me unless I got the job, nor would they be proceeding with my security clearance paperwork, right? right? So excited. 

I really hope a corrupt federal hiring manager has not illegally passed over a veteran to hire a non veteran in this case. This does seem to sound like the case though. There might be a need to file an FOIA request and litigate this situation. Good luck to you.
oktoots  
#18 Posted : Saturday, October 01, 2011 5:56:10 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Sea Salt, why don't you stop being the moronic troll that you are, and stop posting inane and insane things. When will you get it through your skull that being a veteran does not automatically qualify you for anything. Just like Vet4Life, you have a one-track mind that goes no where.

And what do you do for a job with the Fed. Govt.?Clown Your sense of entitlement is pathetic. So now, get ready to be suspended.

oktoots2011-10-01 14:09:54
multiple identities to 0%
dumaka  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 1:19:19 AM(UTC)
dumaka

I forgot to add one more thing. If they can't choose the friend/relative they want then they usually cancel the vacancy, wait a week or two and post it again in hopes that the more qualified people won't apply again.
TheFrederalGovt  
#20 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:44:32 AM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

dumaka wrote:
I forgot to add one more thing. If they can't choose the friend/relative they want then they usually cancel the vacancy, wait a week or two and post it again in hopes that the more qualified people won't apply again.

Dumaka, with all respect although that happens in many cases, that is not the reason why you and others have been passed over for EVERY vacancy that you applied for is it? Are you saying that EVERY vacancy you have applied for has gone to someone who has some sort of connection to the hiring official?

Wasting your time making excuses for why you did not get hired will take away from the time that could be better spent hopefully finding a job where all the pieces come together and you can get hired.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed